We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Surrounded by Ghosts (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
875 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks, Darkness! A journey into the unknown is an apt description of this show. Unfortunately, the places where I usually perform -- theaters, historical homes and museums -- have strict no fire policies, so candles and matches are verboten.
Brain Food, A Game of Life & Death, Proof Positive, and Paper Prophecies
available at http://www.davidparr.com/store
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1457 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Use fake candles and lots of them (if you want of course), to give you the light you need to set the atmosphere. Some fakes are extremely realistic, gotta love shadows.

They do need to let you turn the lights down (good luck), especially when you have the opportunity to walk them into another room Smile

Your show awesome!

Walking into a darkened room (pit of hell) priceless.
Victor Ian Smith
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
65 Posts

Profile of Victor Ian Smith
Beautiful work...like Brian, I absolutely love the use of the Ouija board for the reveal. The storytelling was also wonderful. Everyone should also check out your other videos on YouTube...especially "We all have our demons."

Magically and respectfully,

Victor
"Do what you love...

...and you will never work a day of your life"

- Confucius
Mormo Zine
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Mormo Zine
Wonderful performance! I am going to try and perform at my museum too!
Ours the magic, Ours the power!

See Mormo's Guide To Psychic Self Defense by clicking here.
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Profile of Nyama Possessor
Be-you-till-fully done David!! Love how you combined a Book Test with a Ouija Board for the reveal. As is the case with this effect, I also prefer using a "ghost" (or what have you) as the main vehicle for the reveal, instead of just reading the mind of the participant and telling them the word myself...abSOULutely brilliant!!

Ancestrally,
Nyama Possessor
The Honorable NYAMA POSSESSOR

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

* 17 Year Member of the Shadow Network * ICBM Alumnus *

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
875 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thank you, Victor, and I'm glad you appreciate "We All Have Our Demons"! It's a little glimpse into my twisted soul. Smile

Thanks Mormo, and good luck with your show!

And thank you, Krossbearer! I think the common criticism of effects like this is that there's no justification for using the books, but focusing on something other than proving my "psychic powers" opens up ways to integrate the props and presentation.
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

You're welcome David! Yes, I totally agree, my main bone of contention has always been the lack of logical justification for certain said actions, props, outcomes, situations, etc... It's not enough for me that a card is merely revealed after a participant has chosen it... What was the purpose of it's choosing? Why is this effect important or even taking place? Paul Voodini has very eloquently and accurately addressed this notion when he wrote:

"In the magic world, much is made of the 'justification' behind tricks. It is reasonably easy (when we have the skill) to impress lay people with our dexterity and sleight of hand. But if we want our tricks to impress people on an emotional level and really produce the 'wow factor', we need a justification. It’s not enough that you manage to divine their freely chosen card. We need to demonstrate and explain exactly WHY you managed such a feat and what it MEANS. We need to take our spectator on a journey of discovery."

[Source: The Magician's Guide to Palm Reading by Paul Voodini]

I really enjoyed and appreciated your logical justification for the razors in your "Urban Legend" performance as well... Again, you so aptly applied a justification for both a prop and an effect that has always been a mere "carnie-style stunt", in my opinion. Yet by applying the logical/psychological justification for the razor and weaving the interesting story around it, you brought it to life, and succeeded in making a 2D stunt into a 3D experience (so to speak). I've always learned these special, subtle and imperative nuances, ideas and personal idiosyncrasies from you throughout the years (we first met at the ICBM in '05 if memory serves correct). Thank you for being such an integral part of our community.

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
875 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks muchly, Krossbearer! It means a lot to me to know that you've gotten so much out of my work. Was the ICBM gathering that long ago? Seems like yesterday.
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Anytime David. I'm glad! As a younger mage you have been (and still are) certainly one of my major inspirations, influences and magikal guides...

I know right, tell me about it... 10 years went by in a lightning flash!! I'm not sure what's scarier the fact you still look the same or that I'm wearing my ICBM shirt right now, LOL!! Smile

While I've got your attention (and since I haven't seen you in awhile), let me ask you (if I may)...

"In your personal opinion, what are the top three (3) most important aspects of Bizarre magik that a bizarrist/storyteller/performer should seek to learn, hone and eventually master?"

Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Additionally, because you cause me to think so deeply about magik David (lol), here is a deeper and more in depth question straight from the heart:

Besides all the grim stuff (which, don't get me wrong I LOVE!! The ceremonial blood-soaked rituals, the handmade grimoires, the demon conjuring, the death spells and morbid curses), I am striving to also balance that out, especially in light of the many years I have been performing, and quietly noticing and realizing that most people are looking for what I call a "Hope and Dope" experience... Also known as what I call "Escape Magik", just not the kind that we are used to thinking of (no straightjackets involved), haha.

What I mean by "Escape Magik" or "Mental Trapdoor Magik" (a Hope and Dope Experience) is that the participants want to temporarily escape their current worries, challenges, problems, drama, issues which they are presently plagued by ("going thru the motions of life" as they say). I have found a great number of participants wanting to feel "Doped" up by the magik, they want to gain "Hope" (and positive inspiration) from it... Perhaps they are unconsciously searching for something that they can incorporate or use to help them in there current situation (even if just a pat on the back or a moment of truly feeling enchanted on a personal level). I find people like their heart-strings pulled more than they like to be scared.

This (in my personal opinion) is why church is so popular among the so-called "masses" of the population. Just like well performed, positive, uplifting and logically justified magik, church gives its believers, audience members and participants HOPE!! too. And it makes them feel like they're on DOPE (an emotional high, so to speak), hence a my term: a "Hope and Dope" experience. And after all, when we think about it from a silly standpoint for a second, who wouldn't feel good after sitting there for 2 hours and hearing about this supposedly "all-loving" mystery spook floating around up in the sky and unconditionally loving you no matter what you say or do in life. WOW...what a comforting and hope-instilling feeling, powerful stuff!!! It makes people feel better, it lifts them up, it "temporarily" (keyword, lol) relieves them of their day-to-day stress, the uncertainties of life, the fear and doubt, etc. There is an interesting psychology around the whole "religious" experience, one in which I think we as bizarrists and actors and performers stand to learn from.

Now, that having been said, I'm not advocating religion here (nor and I denouncing it). The whole religion thing is not for me personally, as I certainly could't sit there for 2 hours listening to that stuff (had enough of that as a child, haha), YET that does NOT mean I don't want to elicit that same type of feelings (that church gives people) in my participants... Smile Smile I may not be a religious person, yet that doesn't mean I'm not interested in studying what makes it so magikal and magnetic to people and how I can also incorporate those concepts into my performance. John Riggs book "The Messiah Process" immediately comes to mind. (Hopefully I haven't offended anyone here in the Café with my personal statements and opinions).

Movies, advertising and religion should be studied by us, so we can get the science behind what drives people, and more specifically what drives people to feel motivated, inspired, emotionally moved and remembering something they experience. I had a woman once tell me that after she saw me perform she went home and cleaned her entire house from top to bottom because she felt motivated after my performance, I wish I could have captured what exactly it was about my performance that made her feel so inspired! I humbly mention these few examples as evidence of the power we have as performers, yet that I feel we as and art form haven't really tapped into yet. Again this is not about Me, it is about We... "I am because we are", one of the sayings of the Ancient Sages.

I've even been toying around with the idea of an effect that has me directly (or via a giveaway amulet or talisman) casting a protective spell over a participant, and leaving them feeling mysteriously empowered to ace that test, nail that interview, approach that person of special interest, or simply feeling better about themselves, etc. I have found that people don't always wanna be scared or shocked as they find enough of that on youtube and on TV and in movies (which sucks, cause I also love to inflict a little fear and anxiety in participants, haha), yet what everyone does seem to always need/want is to feel hopeful, happy, inspired, elevated, renewed, more relaxed and more enchanted, to the point where they can temporarily forget all (or most of) their problems, even if just for the duration of a couple minutes while I show them something simple yet profound, and leave them with a memento of our encounter. Your "7 Sins" Recipe from Paper Prophecies is a perfect example of this!

All that having been said (and my apologies for rambling on), what advice David, would you give to me in my efforts to, and my attempt at, both making magik experiences more positive, inspirational, enchanting, hopeful, uplifting and memorable for my participants, and that also leaves them with something that they can cherish and hold on to as a keepsake, something that may even act as an emotional "anchor" (NPL) for them every time they hold it and look at it.

I gave a small seashell to a participant for helping me the other day, and I would have never expected it yet she started to softly sniffle and lightly tear-up, she then whispered quietly under her breath, that no one had ever given anything to her before. WOW!! Sometimes we forget how mighty and POWER-FULL we are and can be as performers, even just in the humble actions of quietly setting out to make someone's day and bring them a temporary moment of joy. In this world of fraud and deception we also often forget our humanness, and our ability to make or break someone based on our words, ways and actions.

Sorry for rambling on. I'm done now. Any advice, thoughts, and/or ideas (even if just your philosophies and/or experiences on this subject) will be greatly appreciated (given that you have time to respond of course).

Ancestrally,
Nyama Possessor

P.S. Maybe I should make this a whole 'nother thread? I feel it is an important conversation to have and to build further on, yet at the same time one that everyone may not agree with.

David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
875 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Quote:
On May 10, 2015, The Krossbearer wrote:

"In your personal opinion, what are the top three (3) most important aspects of Bizarre magik that a bizarrist/storyteller/performer should seek to learn, hone and eventually master?"

Hmm. I think that performing bizarre magic, and performing it well, involves the development of skills as a writer, an actor, and a director. These are skills that come with practice. The only one I think we can sort of get by without fully grasping is director, because if we have trouble seeing our performances with a directorial eye, we can find someone who has that skill.
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Thank you David, I appreciate and am grateful for your answers. Great points!! Thanks again!! Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Surrounded by Ghosts (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL