We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fanning Powder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

peter teagle
View Profile
Regular user
Redditch, UK
195 Posts

Profile of peter teagle
As a total beginner to card manipulation, can anybody tell me what the cards are suppose to feel like after I have prepared them, with fanning powder, as shown in volume 2 of Jeff McBrides DVD? Any help on this would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys!
"technique is science.
the application of technique is art."

peter teagle
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22511 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
They should feel like they now glide across one another, and fan perfectly, meaning they show the same portions on all card corners.

If you have powder on your hands after handling you have 2 much powder on them.

No white should be showing. If you do have powder showing wipe each card with a cotton ball lightly.
peter teagle
View Profile
Regular user
Redditch, UK
195 Posts

Profile of peter teagle
Thanks wmhegbli, Mine feel slightly 'waxy'! Although they fan pretty well, I can feel a slight resistance or 'drag' when I try to produce the cards individually. I followed JMcB's instructions as acurately as I could. The cards, Bee brand, were new out of the box. Any thoughts, wmhegbli?
I appreciate your help!
"technique is science.

peter teagle
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22511 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sounds okay to me, except you may still have a little to much powder on them. Shuffling them may help also. Remember whenever youdrop a card on the floor to wipe it off before putting it back with the others.

Did you break the cards in as shown on the tape? This is important if you are using regular cards. Do not use a ruler as McBride suggest, use a round pencil or a wooden dowel stick of about 5/8". The ruler tore my corner off when I tried it.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Conus
This is true: floor grit is the enemy of prepared cards.

I also agree that using a pencil to break in cards is a great way to go, as suggested by Patrick Page. I have not had good luck using a metal-edged ruler, but I suppose the ruler method would work if given enough tries.

You have to riffle and slap the deck a few times to blow off excess powder. Then, a few cycles through the deck will put it in optimal condition.

I have found that baby powder will work in a pinch. As a rule, I've found powder isn't necessary once a deck is broken in. I guess it's a matter of personal choice.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22511 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Conus, babypowder will only make the deck junk. It absorbes mosture and no longer has Zinc Strate in the powder as in the old days. It has been known to cause cancer.

In very humid weather you may not need powder depending where you live and the time of season. As a general rule Fanning Powder is the way to go. As I stated earlier wipe off excess until they work for you.

I ripped off several edges with the ruler technique. went back to the wooden dowel.
peter teagle
View Profile
Regular user
Redditch, UK
195 Posts

Profile of peter teagle
Wmhegbli/Conus

Thanks for your help, guys! I did use a ruler, a plastic one, and had no problem with tears or snagging the cards. I did use dowelling at first as you suggested, wmhegbli, but I didn't think it removed enough of the finish on the cards, it just kinda curled them! Any tips you guys have on manipilation generally, would be most helpfull.
"technique is science.

peter teagle
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22511 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Handmade,

I don't agree with McBride that you want to remove any of the finish on the cards. Yes, the dowel does curl the card, that is takeing the stiffness out. You must do it to the front and back in all directions. Then clamp to compress the cards to a straight state.

Your question is so general, Practice, Practice. Then rehearse with your equipment you are going to use on stage in the show. Very your stance postier and move softly about. Make it interesting and like you are really pulling cards from thin air.
peter teagle
View Profile
Regular user
Redditch, UK
195 Posts

Profile of peter teagle
Wmhegbli

I'll try the dowel on my next deck and see if it's better!

Is manipulation a big part of your act? What cards do you use?
"technique is science.

peter teagle
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22511 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The cards you use is strickly what you perfer and what you do with them.

I find a stiffer card is needed for some single productions and fans I use Nielsen Cards and Lance Burton cards. The reason is because I can use more cards with the thinner cards and thus have to steal less often.

Using a regular deck it is difficult to back palm and entire deck. Where I can only use half a deck of regular cards I can use three quarters of deck with Nielsen cards.

http://www.nnmagic.com
peter teagle
View Profile
Regular user
Redditch, UK
195 Posts

Profile of peter teagle
Wmhegbli

As a beginner should I start off with a regular deck until I get better or should I try a special deck?

I've just unclamped my prepared cards and I did feel powder on them, (but I couldn't see it!), which I have now removed and the cards feel alot better now!
I've just managed my first three backpalmed card production, I'm so excited! (Guess I'm hooked, now!)
"technique is science.

peter teagle
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22511 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Some say it can be an advantage to working with poker size cards and then switching to bridge fanning cards. For me I have always used bridge cards and never have seen the advantage to poker size cards.

Work on your production until you can handle at least half a deck without exposing them or dropping them.

Practice the front and back palm and while producing fans of cards and single alternating between the different methods.

Have fun!
Conus
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Conus
The audience will not know what size cards you are using unless they are very familiar with the proportions of playing cards.

Why hurt yourself trying to use poker-size cards if bridge-size cards work best for you? Your favorite magic dealer can supply you with bridge-size manipulation decks. Buy one and test it out -- you'll be suprised at how pliant and thin the cards are. Keep your hands clean and your cards will last a long time.

Personally, I like using poker size cards even though I have small hands. I use ordinary decks with Bee-style backs.

If you want to use fanning powder, I suggest trying just a small amount for starters. You'll find a little goes a long way.
peter teagle
View Profile
Regular user
Redditch, UK
195 Posts

Profile of peter teagle
Conus

I'm using poker size Bee brand decks, with a little fanning powder, as per JMcB. Being a total beginner, I obviously need to get used to handling the cards, they don't seem to 'spring' like his do! His dvd's are great but I have one little niggle, and that is, he doesn't explain in any detail the kind of things that go wrong, apart from dropping the cards, and how to correct them while learning the techniques, like getting the cards to 'spring' for eg! Anybody got any tips!!
"technique is science.

peter teagle
Conus
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Conus
Regarding springing cards -- there's no magic involved, only time and practice will help.

Good luck to you and have fun!
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I showed my friend a way to practice with the video.
That was to stand with hes back to the tv and watch himself and the video in a mirror.
He said it worked wonders in the way he learnt the moves. He could see things he missed when viewing normally.
hth.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fanning Powder (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL