The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Bottom card to top (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mudblood
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Mudblood
I have been practicing this for a long time (so this is kind of embarrasing)

Every time I try to bring the bottom card to the top of the deck, without fail, it ends up 2nd from top. I always seem to peel off the last two cards at the same time and I can't seem to stop that from happening.

The only way I can do it is if I run the last 5-7 cards of the deck off. I don't like doing this though because I feel it looks like false shuffling.

Any tips for controlling bottom card to top?
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1001 Posts

Profile of Ado
If it ends up second, take the top card, shove it in the middle, take the bottom card, shove it in the middle, and voila.

P!
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Here's my advice: Run the last 5-7 cards of the deck off. It only looks like false shuffling to you. If it makes you feel better- practice your false shuffle combining runs and small blocks as you go through the deck. But it's not a big issue really. If you're talking and making eye contact with people they won't be paying that much attention. Or, to put it another way: if you don't care, neither will they.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2015, Ado wrote:
If it ends up second, take the top card, shove it in the middle, take the bottom card, shove it in the middle, and voila.

P!

I vote for this, I think it's brilliant. I had a similar problem years ago and wish I would have thought of it.
ssibal
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of ssibal
You can always undercut it to the top instead of overhand shuffle.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I had this problem when I first started. People really don't notice it I promise. If you don't like it though then keep practicing till you get it. I still pull the last two off singly if that makes you feel better
Mudblood
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Mudblood
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2015, Ado wrote:

P!

Fantastic, this is a good way of dealing with it.

Thank you.
alfa33333
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of alfa33333
Hello, I am new, but I have a similar problem. Every time I control a card to the top, It looks like people knows that I controlled the card to the top or I did not move it. I have recorded doing it, but I cannot see where they realize this.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

It's probably in your being. That sounds kinda strange. People see your intent. If you intend to control a card they will see this. If you are just shuffling a deck and your whole demeanor shows it then that's what they will see. I have just recently started reading magic theory and I would recomend all beginers do the same. I waited way to long.
alfa33333
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of alfa33333
Thank you. Then, you mean it is my intention and not the sleight itself. Do you have any advise about this?
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

You have to believe your just shuffling the cards. You must believe it and it will show to your audience and they will believe it to. Try just shuffling the cards and see how you act when doing it. How you position your body and hands. How you talk and handle the cards. Then do the same thing when controling a card. Make sure you don't seem nervous and strangle the cards. I hope that helped.
alfa33333
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of alfa33333
Thank you! I will practice it. I will try with the card in different situations because I tend to start showing the card at the top in the begining.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Try controlling a card when you don't need to. That is, just shuffling a deck in front of others and control a random card. Since you don't need to control the card, it will help relax you when performing in front of others.

Same with forcing - good practice to force even when you don't need too. Helps your confidence and skill.

Hudson
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

I'll use your forcing suggestions that's great advice
Mudblood
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Mudblood
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, 55Hudson wrote:
Try controlling a card when you don't need to. That is, just shuffling a deck in front of others and control a random card. Since you don't need to control the card, it will help relax you when performing in front of others.

Same with forcing - good practice to force even when you don't need too. Helps your confidence and skill.

Hudson

That's excellent advice and a really good idea.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
If your having trouble with a pinky break with a deck in standard grip
you might try spreading first , get one and do a double undercut.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Shadowstalker
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Shadowstalker
It's great to control it to the second place, because you can show it's not on the top, shove that card into the middle, and show it's not on the bottom either.
Smile

When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable.
Teller
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Bottom card to top (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL