The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Worst rush hour traffic (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Forbes listed these cities as the worst rush hour traffic:

10. Chicago
9. Atlanta
8. Austin
7. Portland
6. San Francisco
5. Houston
4. Honolulu
3. Seattle
2. San Jose
1. Los Angeles

Interestingly, I have driven during rush hour in all but three of these cities during the past three years (I missed Portland, San Jose, and was only a passenger in Austin traffic). I actually think that Chicago is worse than any of them. I think Atlanta is worse than L.A.

Would you add any cities to this list? Do you agree with the order?
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
The worse I've ever encountered was Manila Philippines. The Middle East there aren't too many "rush hours" as they will just drive in the emergency lane or shoulder.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Forbes listed these cities as the worst rush hour traffic:

10. Chicago
9. Atlanta
8. Austin
7. Portland
6. San Francisco
5. Houston
4. Honolulu
3. Seattle
2. San Jose
1. Los Angeles

Interestingly, I have driven during rush hour in all but three of these cities during the past three years (I missed Portland, San Jose, and was only a passenger in Austin traffic). I actually think that Chicago is worse than any of them. I think Atlanta is worse than L.A.

Would you add any cities to this list? Do you agree with the order?

Technically that list (reported by Forbes among others) is a list according to TomTom's Annual Traffic Index. See:

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/10-cities-wi......922.html

Actually, it is just the extract of the U.S. cities, which are hardly the world's worst. The full world rankings are at the TomTom site:

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/trafficindex/

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/trafficindex/#/list

In the world rankings, LA only comes in at number 10.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
New York City traffic can be pretty nasty.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Honolulu traffic was horrible thirty years ago. I can hardly imagine how bad it is these days.

Göttingen isn't all that bad.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
NYC traffic can be bad, but it's manageable. At least you know what to expect from NY drivers. And although there are rush-hour problems on the West Side Highway or FDR Drive during rush hour, the traffic does somehow keep moving.

But when I lived in California, when those 10-lane highways get congested, it can be incredibly frustrating. I was once stuck for 2 hours for a trip that should have taken 20 minutes.

Another problem area is where I live now, in Washington state. If there's an accident on one of the highways (especially the one passing through Seattle), you may as well forget about keeping appointments.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2015, arthur stead wrote:
NYC traffic can be bad, but it's manageable. At least you know what to expect from NY drivers. And although there are rush-hour problems on the West Side Highway or FDR Drive during rush hour, the traffic does somehow keep moving.

But when I lived in California, when those 10-lane highways get congested, it can be incredibly frustrating. I was once stuck for 2 hours for a trip that should have taken 20 minutes.

Another problem area is where I live now, in Washington state. If there's an accident on one of the highways (especially the one passing through Seattle), you may as well forget about keeping appointments.

Where in Washington do you live, Arthur? I'm originally from Bellevue.

My problem with being in Los Angeles is that you have no way of knowing when you'll encounter traffic - it's safer to assume that you ALWAYS will, and most of the time you're right. It's not like weekends make the freeways here any less congested. Saturdays on the 101 are an absolute nightmare.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
London is bad but Paris is a nightmare; not so much in the traffic but in the way of it. There are altogether too many everywhere. Things will be much better in the new world order.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
On Apr 6, 2015, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Quote:

Where in Washington do you live, Arthur?

Across the pond in Bremerton, Andrew. Where are you in L.A?
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2015, arthur stead wrote:
Quote:

Where in Washington do you live, Arthur?

Across the pond from Seattle, in Bremerton, Andrew. Where are you in L.A?
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Ah, I've always loved taking the ferry over to Bremerton when I'm visiting home with friends. It's a nice little spot!

I'm in Tarzana. My stuff and my condo is there - that's really the only reason why.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Little town south of me only has one signal light, but when it gets stuck on red, traffic can back up a loooong way.Smile

But seriously I feel for those that have to fight the traffic in the large cities.

Tom
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Hit the ring road round Cairo..... Interesting, to say the least.
Move inside the circle of doom, amongst, what can't really be described without swearing, and
you'll hit driving hell, with drivers from hell.
Don't go there, for any reason whatsoever!
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
Ah, I've always loved taking the ferry over to Bremerton when I'm visiting home with friends. It's a nice little spot!

Yes, more living space for your dollar, and far less property tax!

Quote:
On Apr 6, 2015, Andrew Zuber wrote:I'm in Tarzana. My stuff and my condo is there - that's really the only reason why.

Years ago I lived in Venice Beach, right on Ocean Front Walk.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Arthur- My son's moving to Bremerton eventually. He's going through the process of getting hired on at the shipyard. Nice area. We can't wait to be able to go visit!

As for traffic, I was a long haul truck driver for a time and experienced most of the major city's rush hours. In a big rig, NYC actually isn't all that bad. It's slow, but steady. The part that's horrible is going north of NYC into Conn. There always seems to be road destruction going on and causing backups.

Boston was a nightmare. This was before the Big Dig was finished, which I hear has only pushed the congestion out from the downtown area and increased waiting times due to more people using the added lanes.

I also didn't care for #5, Houston. Not that the traffic was all that bad volume wise, but people drive extremely fast and a trifle psychotically. Plus, I just didn't like Houston. Kind of a run down dump. Sorry if you live there.

The Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex can be a little crazy as well.

I'm kind of surprised the Baltimore/D.C area wasn't mentioned. That can be another nightmare.

I actually found Atlanta and Chicago to be pretty decent.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Hey Theodore, your post brought back memories. I used to rent a car to to go visit my in-laws in Gloucester, Massachusetts, and driving north of NYC through Connecticut was always a nightmare.

Also, Boston. What a fiasco! The second worst drivers in the world. The worst are Seatte-ites (with apologies to Mastermindreader).
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Just to clarify, the list was worst in US, not the world. I am certain there are other cities in the world that are terrible.

When traffic in Milwaukee is bad, they might mean a 15 minute delay. Big deal.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2015, Ray Tupper. wrote:
Hit the ring road round Cairo..... Interesting, to say the least.
Move inside the circle of doom, amongst, what can't really be described without swearing, and
you'll hit driving hell, with drivers from hell.
Don't go there, for any reason whatsoever!

I deal with that every day. The trick is to show no fear. Though, in Cairo they are known to drive at night without their headlights on as they believe it will run down their batteries.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I would've put Atlant higher. Horrible traffic all the time.

They're building the new Braves stadium right across the street from the office building I work in and far from where I live. Imagine the nightmare that's going to be.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
The last time I was in Atlanta it didn't seem so bad. Interestingly enough, I've driven in eight out of then of those cites during rush hour. So I have Mark beat. I've never driven in Portland or Chicago.

Anyone have me beat?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Worst rush hour traffic (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL