The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Worst rush hour traffic (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16239 Posts

Profile of tommy
Nope! Well so far it looks like Jeff is the biggest loser.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
LOL!

I've never been stuck in traffic in London. Nor Paris, Tommy.

But in Berlin? Yes. Hamburg, yes. Prag and Budapest, yes. Rome, no.

Now I'm just bragging, I suppose.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Honolulu, Baltimore/Washington, Bangkok and Cairo.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Traffic in Seattle isn't all that bad. I've seen much, much worse.

Getting into and out of Seattle at rush hour(s) is where the problem lies. But since I live in the city and seldom need to get out of it or back into it during rush hour(s) it doesn't effect me too badly.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2661 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2015, Payne wrote:
Traffic in Seattle isn't all that bad. I've seen much, much worse.

Getting into and out of Seattle at rush hour(s) is where the problem lies. But since I live in the city and seldom need to get out of it or back into it during rush hour(s) it doesn't effect me too badly.

My parents live in Kirkland and my dad is CONSTANTLY complaining about the traffic. Every time I come home I'm amazed at what he's so up in arms about. Nothing at all compared to L.A. I suppose it's all relative.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6011 Posts

Profile of motown
Forbes listed these cities as the worst rush hour traffic:

10. Chicago - yes
9. Atlanta - yes
8. Austin - no
7. Portland - no
6. San Francisco - yes
5. Houston - yes
4. Honolulu - no
3. Seattle - yes
2. San Jose - no
1. Los Angeles - yes

The ones I've driven in
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Toronto has some traffic worse than many of those mentioned, IMO.

I'd like to tray the autobahn sometime.

I have found that different cities or states have their own unusual traffic patterns. For example, in NJ you turn right to turn left. They have those weird "Jug handle" intersections; if you want to turn left you drive through the intersection in the right lane, make a RIGHT hand turn which takes you into a 360 loop. Left turn complete!

In Texas, all the "frontage roads" that are alongside the interstates only go in ONE direction. If you exit a few buildings beyond the address you are going to, you have to continue driving alongside the interstate all the way to the next crossing or exit, make a u-turn to the opposite side, travel all the way past your intended destination until you get to the next crossing/exit, make a second u-turn, and finally arrive!

Any other weird ones you can think of? Rather than "bad" rush hour, does anyone have opinions on the trickiest city to drive in?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5020 Posts

Profile of landmark
Boston was very tricky for me to navigate. Also, they're generally lousy drivers.
Dallas drivers drive very fast, tailgate, and don't signal when they switch lanes on a long straightaway. Hair-raising.
NYC drivers can be very aggressive, but they generally know what they are doing.
I used to drive an NYC yellow cab.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
A funny thing about driving in Germany, I didn't have any problems with the autobahn or most in-town driving, but man- get me within ten klicks of Frankfurt and I'd get unwillingly sucked into it like some kind of black hole and get lost for an hour. It was just comical after a while. Turns out all us G.I.s in my unit had that problem. I even aced my European drivers license test. It must have had something to do with the way traffic was routed combined with our American cluelessness.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Gosh talk about traffic - where I live in Cairns Australia it can be a nightmare - just the other day driving into town there was a dog taking his time crossing the road and there were at least two cars ahead of me backed up waiting for him to cross. I had to sit there twiddling my thumbs for at least 40 seconds - I'm not sure how we manage to get anything done.

At least it's been a while since we've had a croc sunning himself on the road stopping traffic though that did happen again about 200 kilometres south a couple of weeks ago - no road sense, crocs.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2488 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I am from NYC
I live near Los Angeles
My first room mate when I moved to L.A. was from Atlanta.

He said Atlanta was far worse. He said the only saving grace about Atlanata is that people know how to drive in weather. This is not a true statement in Los Angeles. Pray for our souls when it rains as all the natives forget how to drive.

NYC has traffic problems really only due to traffic lights and gridlock. Yes, there could be an accident jamming things up, but it is really just build up behind lights and it can be miles long.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Worst rush hour traffic (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL