We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My kid entered a contest (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Creating art, yes. Would you consider this art ( I just made it)?

No, but this is just slapping random images together. There's no cohesive look.

If this were a series of anime clips and you put a song on the sound track, I guarantee you wouldn't get past the committee at Anime Boston, much less win the contest.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I didn't think it was art either, that was my point. I slapped together some pieces of other people’s artwork. Not the least bit original. I could put a song to it, but that would be someone else’s work as well. I wouldn't enter that contest anyway, as it is too much like entering a lip syncing or air guitar contest. It is fine for the kids to start with until they find their own voice.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
But your point is incorrect.

The image you show is a random series of images from different sources.

The videos made by these kids, either using a single anime or a group of anime (I think that's the correct plural) take images and use them with music to make an emotional statement.

As I said, anyone can take random images and slap them together. It takes an artistic eye to take those images and make them relate to a musical motif. (I think that's the correct term.)

Disney was doing the same thing years ago with its "Dtv" series of shorts that appeared on the Disney Channel;

and

I remember many MANY years ago, a group of people were making videos out of episodes of "Blakes 7." I asked one how they did it and they said; "Hook up two VCRs, put a blank in the 'record' VCR, play a tape in the other one and hit the 'record' button at what you HOPE is exactly the right spot! Then play the whole thing BACK into another blank tape with a different audio source to overlay the soundtrack."
Ain't life unkind?"
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I chose the 'artwork' to be readily identified by the casual viewer, but I said it was just slapped together (maybe 15 minutes including google searches). My point was that it was someone else’s polished work. I didn't have to adjust the colors or shadows, consider conflicting brush strokes, or how well the Medias would mix. As to matching the music from what I could see is the song lyrics are about a train; find a train clip, lyrics about flying or falling... That is why I asked if he did any of the animation (which is really good animation).

Here is something that this thread lead me to: http://www.open.edu/itunes/
I have a huge collection of sound effects and TV/Movie theme songs which I used in my past projects, but I had to force myself off of that convenient teat so that I may market and produce my own animations. I am now collecting public domain pictures and music (riffs and rhythms) which I purchased off of ITunes. After seeing this thread I looked for public domain video on ITunes and came across ITunes University. There is a ton of video clips there, and those are free.

I loved Blake’s 7. Extremely cheap and shabby props but great storylines.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
The art in collage is in how it is put together, and how the pieces resonate with each other. That's different from a random assortment.
I liked the prize winner, too. Nice use of the juxtaposition of jewels and eyes.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
The true artist is a very rare creature, one who has created his own new style and thus can take an old work and make it not only his but also better.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Geez Brian, lighten up! The kid worked on a respectable project, was proud of it, was recognized for it, and his father is proud of it also. Why rain on their parade? I'd rather recognize that effort than the other unimaginable things going on in society by our youth.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, slowkneenuh wrote:
Geez Brian, lighten up! The kid worked on a respectable project, was proud of it, was recognized for it, and his father is proud of it also. Why rain on their parade? I'd rather recognize that effort than the other unimaginable things going on in society by our youth.

His 'kid' is an adult. He mentioned it in his first post so to me that means he is at least 21 years old. If he was say a 13 year old then I would be very impressed by the application of the media.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
Creating art, yes. Would you consider this art ( I just made it)?

I might.

What about this?

cat weasel
View Profile
New user
free agent
16 Posts

Profile of cat weasel
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, 0pus wrote:
What about this?

I like hairy women
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, slowkneenuh wrote:

His 'kid' is an adult. He mentioned it in his first post so to me that means he is at least 21 years old. If he was say a 13 year old then I would be very impressed by the application of the media.

Doesn't matter. It was still a creative use of the both video and audio media. I'm sorry you don't get that.

I still don't see why you think editing "pre-edited" footage into a new configuration (because the "Astro Boy" people certainly weren't thinking of Five For Fighting's "Superman" when they made that footage) is somehow "easy."
Ain't life unkind?"
cat weasel
View Profile
New user
free agent
16 Posts

Profile of cat weasel
Good job , what's next? Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
He's got some other ideas. He's also thinking of submitting this one to other conventions, if they'll have it.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My kid entered a contest (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL