We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New email scam/spam/virus spreader (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have not seen this one before. It came from Brazil and of course had an attachment. My email address begins with themagiccompany, so naturally this began with an appropriately abbreviated version...

Dear Thema,

This is to inform you to appear in the Court on the April 15 for
your case hearing.
You are kindly asked to prepare and bring the documents
relating to the case to Court on the specified date.
Note: The case will be
heard by the judge in your absence if you do not come.

You can review
complete details of the Court Notice in the attachment.

Yours
faithfully,
Tyrone Wells,
Court Secretary.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It's a virus that apparently steals files and takes over the users computer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national.......1565700
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My wife got an interesting one that had more thought than most.

Talked about since she is an American business woman and asked what a good rate of return would be for an investor? Said that the business already worked the first time and she bought a pet crematorium. Said she can return $2,000 on a $5,000 investment in just 5 months. Is that a fair amount!

Neat the way they try to get someone with the compliments, then dangle the hook like that. It actually runs like half a start of a good con.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Similar in LA, where we get phone notices of impending summonses to be served (nice they warn us) at our "residence or place of business!" I've never called back out of curiosity so I don't know how that scam plays out. I suppose they want you to pay up to prevent whatever. They've been sucessful on claiming they're the Police Department on their way to arrest someone. Older folks pay up.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1224 Posts

Profile of imgic
Just finished reading "How to Think Like a Freak" (No, it's not about sex...it's from authors of "Freakanomics")

They talk about the infamous Nigerian Prince email Scam. You've all probably have gotten them...an email from a Nigerian Prince that needs help getting his money out of the country. Please send your bank information so millions can be deposited and you'll get some as a reward. Except if you do, they clean out your account.

The book looks at why the scam has remained virtually the same for years. Why haven't they made a more believable story? Or made it more "professional"? Surely if they did, they'd get more interest...more people responding to the email.

But the ludicrous story, and the typos and all of that have created a "self-selecting" mechanism. If they made it more professional, more people would reply, many of who, after additional emails, would realize the scam and drop out. So all that time would be a waste for the scammer.

By having it the way it is, those that would drop out later, never reply in the first place...so no time wastes by the scammer. Instead, only those not on the ball, would reply, which, in turn is a higher percentage of higher quality leads for the scammer.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
572 Posts

Profile of Circusman
We have a scam running here in the U.K. right now. It originates from Belize.

A notice is put through the letterbox from a well known parcel delivery company. It advises that they attempted to deliver a parcel, but could get no reply - so please ring this number.

The whole thing looks seriously genuine, BUT, if you ring the number you will hear a recorded message.
As soon as the message starts, you are automatically billed for £375 as it's a high priced premium number !

BEWARE !

Bobby Thomson.
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
572 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Just a footnote to my last posting.

I've just received this same scam message, just slightly different wording, on my phone !

Bobby Thomson.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New email scam/spam/virus spreader (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL