The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Guide to buying Card to wallet (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3135 Posts

Profile of warren
The idea of this thread is simply this: if you own a card to wallet of any description can you pleas put a review of the wallet on here please, if you have already done a review perhaps you could copy and paste it to this thread, If its to much trouble or it has already been done then no need to respond in a negative way just avoid the thread.

When reviewing include as much info as you can and thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to post a review and I'll start the ball rolling
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3135 Posts

Profile of warren
The JOL Hip Wallet,

Pros

This is a hip style wallet that uses no s***e and uses an outside load that is very cleverly disguised so can be shown clearly all the way around.

It looks like an everyday wallet ie plenty of space for money, plenty of slots for credit cards and photo ID etc

Very easy to load

The selected card appears in a zippered compartment

You can also load coins, flat objects and even small rings in to this wallet all with out the use of a s***e

You need to be able to Palm for this wallet

The other plus side is that its one of the least expensive card to wallets on the market and can be picked up for a little as £30 and yet is very good quality and made these days by Dave Bonsall who despite my recent posts about him offers a very good service I believe.

Cons

This wallet can not be used for card to envelope

This is just a basic card to wallet it has no other features such as peeks etc

You need to be able to palm with this wallet ( mentioned as a pro to as that's my preferred method )

This wallet does not have a press stud fastener to keep the wallet securely shut like the earlier models had.

Definitely recommended but please bring back the closing fastener that keeps the wallet closed as this definitely adds to the effect Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3135 Posts

Profile of warren
Found this review By MercMan of The Workers Dream Wallet By Harry Robson

So getting on to Harry's latest release - 'The Workers Dream'. Well, I think one of the dreams that anyone strives for (that either works professionally, or even just dabbles with the occasional show for family and friends) is having more pocket space. Having the ability to perform a few effects with the minimum of props. Not being bulked up by literally becoming a magic shop on legs.

Well, this wallet achieves that goal. It enables you to pull off a number of different effects; conveniently contained within something that you'd need to carry anyway.

So yep, we have the basic card to zipped wallet. In itself, something that is a very memorable moment of magic. Add the sealed envelope into the mix, and the very good just got a whole lot more magical. And as people that use Harry's Instant Reset will know only too well, the fact that the card, ring, etc. is within a sealed envelope, zipped in a wallet, that they remove and tear open, DOES become a talking point amongst spectators. It's a memorable moment of magic that, in all honesty, is financially worth it's weight in gold.

But what appeared to be the holy grail (The Instant Reset System) just got even better.

The kit comes with a DVD; once again superbly produced. Harry spends time talking you through the contents of the package. Tips and ideas for using the Instant Reset principle. How to make the sealed envelopes fail-proof.

We move onto the 'Out to Lunch' principle. The cards fit perfectly and there's a very creative piece of design to ensure that they 'gimmicked' card stays neatly in place, and always coalesces with the other card(s) - particularly when they are being signed; an important point! There's also a clever piece of marketing printed on the rear of the card, which should ensure that these are kept by the spectator. I assume that Harry will be selling further supplies of these cards - although you have 25 cards contained within this kit.

The Peek Idea is manufactured into the wallet brilliantly. It enables an external peek after the spectator has placed the card inside the interior pocket - the little pocket itself cleverly designed to snap shut with a magnet - so that there's no perceived possibility of you getting to see what's been written once it's been inserted into the wallet; and the pocket/wallet having subsequently been closed by the spectator. There's also some excellent thinking gone into the modus operandi for getting the glimpse - two different types of 'camouflage' to make everything look as it should; whilst giving you the option of using whatever suits you best.

Then, there's an additional Mullica-style wallet should you wish to present card to small wallet, inside a larger wallet. This is again, a very powerful trick - and a no-palm version is always useful - particularly for those occasions when you are working in your shirt sleeves or, for whatever reason, you don't have time to prep an envelope.

Just to add that the Mullica has two inside pockets. To this end, my own personal presentation would be to have a duplicate (from a contrasting deck) in one pocket of the Mullica and sell it initially as a prediction-style trick; with the climax being that you remove their actual (forced) signed card from the Mullica's other pocket.

Just to add that with these types of presentations, it doesn't need a lot of creativity to see how the 'Out to Lunch' and/or the peek system could also be brought into the mix. For example, the spectator writes down a playing card and hides it from view inside the wallet. You state "so your card is now inside the wallet"......at which point they assume you mean their written prediction. But you remove the Mullica, and their merely thought-of playing card is inside.

As a complete routine, you could force a card and get it signed; and when the guy turns over the signed 'Out to Lunch' card, you've predicted it - before actually removing the playing card from a sealed envelope. Then you use the peek/Mullica prediction idea above, as a follow-up.

Sorry guys - thinking out loud a bit here on how to gel the various effects into a full routine. But anyway, that's about half of your close-up set completed; and interestingly, you've used three opportunities to market yourself (a business card in the envelope, your details on the 'Out to Lunch' card, and finally, the business card with their drawing/card/number written on). And none of it appears tacky or unprofessional - unlike simply throwing down a pile of business cards at each table - which I'm sure we've all seen magicians do at one time or another!

Harry points out on the DVD that the smaller Mullica was not made by Tony Curtis; so therefore, it's a different grain of leather. Personally, I prefer this - to my mind, the fact that they aren't an exact matching pair, actually validates their naturalness.

Both wallets are exceptionally well made. The leather is excellent quality, the zip robust and the strong stitching finished neatly, and to a very high standard - as we've come to expect from Tony Curtis. The Mullica also meets these exacting standards. As an everyday wallet, there's slots for credit cards, and a flap to hold your notes (bills).

Summing up, we are once again offered a true worker via one of Britain's finest. I can't really see how this could be bettered or improved upon. For the price asked, you are buying a piece of pure, commercial dynamite that doesn't come along very often.

So summing up, the bar has been well and truly raised. I really can't, for the life of me, think how this wallet could be bettered?

And gentlemen, let me just say in complete and utter honesty, that this wallet could potentially be the very best investment that you are EVER likely to make. To a working performer, or even someone who's thinking of going into this business as a full-time professional magician, £70 is chicken-feed investment for something that, if used to it's full potential, could earn you literally thousands of pounds in return.

UNRESERVEDLY RECOMMENDED!

Barry Allen
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3135 Posts

Profile of warren
A review of The Espionage Wallet by Kieran Kirk ( large Hip Style Wallet ) by Mark Chandaue

Having had a proper chance to evaluate the wallet here is a review. This is from the perspective of someone who is not a wallet junkie. For example I have been using the same Kaps wallet since about 1982 and it is still in perfect condition which is a testament to the maker (who's name escapes me but he was considered the best in those days).

As usual my experience dealing with Alakazam was a pleasure, the wallet arrived in a shade under 24 hours from placing the order. The wallet comes in a nice box complete with a DVD. The construction of the wallet is superb and the wallet looks like an expensive large size hip wallet. The wallet works extremely well as a day to day wallet with a standard bill fold area, 8 credit card slots (which is above average and there are 16 if you count the dirty side), a zippered area for coins (not used for coins because this is where things go for the peek (or the suc on the dirty side)). The wallet is a tiny bit too large for the inside jacket pocket of my suit I wear to work. I can get the wallet in but it's a real battle to get the wallet out which could hamper a CTW effect but could also be an opportunity for a bit of comedy. Not a big problem for me as I normally keep my wallet in my back pocket anyway.

On to the functions, this wallet is about as feature packed as you can get, SUC, Shogun, Internal Peek, External peek, billet index (6 slots = 8 outs) , palm/no palm card to wallet and a hold out. The only thing missing is out to lunch. All of the features work well and are easy to use. Initially I was not a fan of the internal "Cloak and dagger" peek but now it has really grown on me and I love it, very easy to use and very easy to justify and it is entirely possible to justify a really long peek if the spectators hand writing is poor). This wallet does everything I need from a wallet and a few things I didn't know I needed it to do. Unlike my kaps wallet the CTW load does not fully load the card into the wallet allowing you to hand the wallet to a spectator and allow them to remove the card but its a minor drawback when you consider the feature set. Sure my Kaps wallet allows me to do card in stapled packet in zippered wallet in spectators hand, but it's useless at switches, peeks and outs etc. Essentially the wallet does exactly what it says on the tin and does it well.

On to the DVD this is good but not great. It has a good selection of effects on the DVD including a couple of coin tricks. The effects are pretty decent and the full range of features (apart from the no palm card to wallet) are demonstrated. I particularly liked the reverse card to wallet idea. I will be using the guess who effect. I've also been trying out the psychic waiter effect and it's a fun effect that gets great reactions (I have tried it 3 times and each time the person forget they had written down the peeked info when it came to the reveal). There are hardly any real world performances on the DVD and the thing I didn't like was that some effects were demonstrated then explained and others were explained during the demo. I'd rather see a performance then the explanation, that way I can see the flow and decide if I even want the explanation. More real world performances would have been nice.

Overall a very solid product from Alakazam and a wallet that lives up to the advertising blurb. The possibilities are endless with this wallet and I am going to have fun coming up with routines to make the most of the features. For my needs this was definitely the right wallet and a better fit for me than the SAW.

And here's another review on The Espionage Wallet by Gary Jones

A quick review......

I managed to get hold of one of these wallets ;-) and I fired it in action for the first time last night and it does everything it says on the tin. I used the brilliant p--k (there are two p--ks and I used the internal p--k) and had a little giggle whilst doing it, it really is devious and probably the best p--k I've seen contained in a wallet! I used the built in index for a Mark Elsdon effect and combined it with the 'Showgun' feature, used the no p-lm feature to end my bill switch routine, and the p-lm load for my signed card to zippered wallet routine. This one wallet passed all the tests with flying colours, and more.

The p-lm card to wallet feature is not the same as the JOL version, it's as easy to use as the JOL and doesn't use a slide. I've not as yet seen the DVD so I still don't know what all the functions do. This wallet is perfect for when wearing a jacket, and also perfect for your jeans pocket, the size is the same as most hip wallets. The built in p--ks are brilliant, the internal p--k is just outstanding, it really does bring a smile to your face when you're getting the p--k, you do it openly and I gurantee you will NEVER get caught, brilliant!

Everything is self-contained, there's nothing to reset and you're always ready to go, and the quality is also excellent, the leather is quite soft and of a very good quality, the colour of the wallet is black.

I'm always on the lookout for effects that fit inside my wallet, I've now found a wallet which is an act in itself, so imagine having all of these functions in one small wallet and then adding effects which fit inside the wallet, even the word 'AWESOME' doesn't do this wallet justice.

Just one more thing I would like to add, the wallet will also hold your money and credit cards and can be used as your "normal" wallet, which is how I use it. If you see me out and about just ask me to show it to you, just make sure you have something to wipe up your drooling lol!

Thank you Peter Nardi and Alakazam Magic, you really do have a winner here!

Please ask me any questions if you would like more info, I've used this in the real world and it ticks all the boxes.

Gary Jones.

Another plus with this wallet which I don't think was mentioned is that it doesn't require a s***e for the card to wallet feature.

Whilst I don't have one of these wallets having seen a size comparison with this against The Infinity Wallet this is a larger wallet then the Infinity.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3135 Posts

Profile of warren
A review of The Complete Peek Wallet by Tony Miller ( Hip style wallet ) by Neils

Over the last few months Tony Miller has shared with me the workings of his latest release, The Complete Peek Wallet and, right from the start, I marvelled at the ingenious peek built into the wallet. Earlier this week I received the actual wallet and it surpassed all expectation, not only in the ease of the peek but the possibilities this wallet offers.

But one thing at a time.

With the peek, a spectator writes a word or draws something on a card and which you insert behind some credit cards. The wallet is closed (and fastened if you so wish) and you have got your peek. There is no need to reopen the wallet and the peek occurs with very little to do on your part. 100% of the card is visible for reading and is crystal clear, an important consideration if your eyesight is not too sharp. The Complete Peek Wallet certainly gives a complete peek.

I have not seen this principle in any other wallet but it all works superbly well and is very deceptive. However, as with all peeks, you need to watch angles and not have anyone behind you.

Tony has several videos on his site and with more instructions and ideas to follow but this is, I believe, a peek to savour. Don’t rush the performance. Engage the spectator in conversation, get your peek leisurely, put the wallet away and enjoy. Those who get the wallet will, I think, appreciate the moment.

However the Peek Wallet is much more than a peek. Thanks to its design, cards or slips can be loaded and then removed from a fastened section of the wallet. P***** w****** and n*** w****** are also easy and with your business card - containing the necessary information - removed from the fastened compartment. This I can see as being particularly useful, especially for mentalists.

Since receiving the wallet, I have also discovered it can house 3 convincing and effective outs and which can be great for effects involving choices and some card routines as well.

The Complete Peek wallet certainly delivers. It is well made and, with its pockets, can be used as an everyday wallet with slots for credit cards, business cards and notes. It is also the perfect size for pockets, not being too big or chunky.

With its innovative, effective and crystal clear peek, its ability to receive loads, p***** or n*** w*****, and hold outs, this is a wallet of many uses and possibilities. It is also very reasonably priced.

This could be one of the major releases of the year and one I unreservedly recommend. In the interests of full disclosure, I received a review copy but, had I not, would have definitely gone ahead and bought one and been more than pleased with my purchase, especially with its many uses.

Another review of The complete peek wallet by Jason Christopher

Hey all, I just had a chance to play with this ... about 10 times table-hopping last night. The #1 comment that I got was 'EVERYBODY draws that' (I've had stickmen, cars, flowers, the sun, certain male anatomy parts, smiley faces and animals). I will say that is a great testament to the peek and the wallet. SO GOOD in fact that they don't SUSPECT let alone DETECT anything strange.

Background: I love the SUC Case Gen II from Strivings and use it as a business card holder (and more) during my close up. I also need a p**k to do something certain in my stand up show and got tired of moving the SUC case back and forth. I figured if my regular wallet that housed my drivers ID was taken to a stand up show with me ... I'd have the SUC feature in this wallet. I also fancied the idea of having my normal wallet do a hip-pocket CTW, so I opted for the CPW.

Currently I'm only doing the drawing duplication of it (NOT using the SUC case portion or Tony's duplication routine)

First the negatives that I found:
Since wanting to use it as a daily wallet, I do find that there could be a bit more 'room' to hold items. Heck, there's not even really a place to hold business cards to have them draw a design on the back of. There are really only 3 slots that can be used to hold licenses or ID's or credit or business cards. So I've had to put my ID and 2 credit cards in the holder and my business cards into the main wallet section where the money goes. Not a bit deal, but certainly not a lot of room.

I'm just not comfortable l***d**g as in Tony's 'I'm not feeling too psychic today' routine yet. It's in no way a fault of the wallet, it's in my own comfort. I just p**k and find a bar napkin to duplicate on. Don't get me wrong the moves are SUPER SIMPLE just need to work on it more.

The positives I found:
1) the SOFT leather. This is important to me, I don't want a stiff, firm, rigid wallet. There was another post here on the forum that talked about the soft leather and that's what pushed me over the edge.
2) The price. Heck, you can't go wrong!
3) Having the CTW available in this hip style is great and the l**d is FAST.
4) the p**k is fast (after all it is a p**k wallet not a stare wallet haha) , clean, hidden and as I noted people think that it's all psychological so to get those people to a point where the wallet is irrelevant, Tony's done his job.
5) The SUC p**k is way easier to do than the SUC case itself and I think it's due to the softer leather. It allows for more flexibility.
6) inside a pocket, the p****d card slides effortlessly into the l**d.

Over all, I'd say a 9 out of 10 ... the only negative being the space inside the wallet but anyone can make an argument that it's a prop, so therefore should be used as such. I DO now carry this as my normal, everyday wallet so will just get used to carrying less. That's a big step for me and my normal 'George Costanza' size wallet.

Highly recommended!

One more by Ross Welford

I have just got this and started playing around with it. First impressions:
1. V nicely made and good value
2. Not enough room to use as a regular, everyday wallet, so performance only, which is a shame. (You could prob squeeze in Color Monte)
3. The vanishing Inc vid supporting it was very disappointing, which surprised me.

Cant wait to try it out, though.

From the video's I've seen of this wallet it looks and sounds great, the fact Tony even provides loads of secret videos for you to learn his and other peoples routines with this wallet is another big bonus.... but I agree with Ross that it appears to small to be used as a regular wallet as I like to carry a little more than the bare essentials in my wallet.....the only thing I couldn't find out looking at the various reviews was if you a s***e is used when doing card to wallet.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3135 Posts

Profile of warren
Super Slim Hip Pocket Mullica by Paul Harris & Tim Trono

As the title says this is a smaller version of the Mullica wallet designed to fit in your back pocket
I don't own this wallet so can only say that I know it to be a very popular no palm version of card to wallet.

Here's a review by Paul S Wingham :

Usually by the time I buy something, there are pages of reviews but surprisingly, there hasn't been much comment on this since the pre sale hype so I thought it'd be worth adding my thoughts.

I have been using the original Mullica for years and love it but always felt it was too large to feasibly belong to a 31 year old who would ordinarily not carry such a large wallet. However, I tried the alternatives including the jol plus wallet, penguin hip pocket Mullica and triple threat but never really got on with them well enough to part company with the original. So
I used that and the real mans wallet in my act.

Having received the slim Mullica, I can say that I am ready to use this instead. Anyone one familiar with a Mullica will have no issues adapting to this. Whilst it is smaller, it's not too small and provides the relevant cover that I think helps avoid flashes. The zip also adds another level of deception which I like.

That said; I won't be using this as my everyday wallet as it's not got enough slots and without using the inner wallet, has no where for my coins. However I don't think this is an issue personally and you could use it everyday if you only carried notes and a few cards.

The DVD has some nice tricks on it and is well presented. Nothing particularly revolutionary. The drivers license trick for instance is very good but uses and old principle which I've seen David Williamson use years ago....and no doubt others before this. In my mind for the cost the DVD is something of a bonus and does show you how to work the wallet, so it does every thing it should.

To summarise, I think anyone that knows and loves the Mullica will love it, as will anyone who is looking for a nice no palm wallet. One other thing is that you can use this as a palm wallet, albeit it in a rather unorthodox way. I love it and will be ordering a spare.

Paul also added the following
It is a no palm only in the purest sense in that you cannot load a card by way of a palm directly in to the zipper compartment. However, I have a couple of routines where it is easier to palm card. I still use Mullica in my back pocket and use palm. But to be clear this is not a palm ctw. Pm if you want more detail in how I load from a palm.

Another review by PatrickGregoire :

I received my wallet today. I have a few things to say about it:

1- Why does it have to be so long? You can easily hide a card or anything smaller under a regular men's size wallet.

2- Not to insult those who designed this thing, but why on earth is there not a little wall at the edge of the bill section to prevent the bills from sliding out? It should be sealed up to about halfway up the side. Seems kind of stupid that it isn't that way. My Extreme Burn package is always moving around, which is not that big a deal, but it's a small detail that would have solved this little issue. I guess you could cut the slit to be bigger and so closer to the edge where it folds.

3- I've had to play around with getting the item to slide directly into the slit with no problems. I found a technique, but nothing of the sort was even covered on the dvd. All he says is make sure you pull back and then push forward to get it in. Well, the inner wallet actually doesn't allow you to do that very well because when you pull back enough to get it to clear the slit, you actually flash the card from under the wallet! Like I said though, I found a way around it, but it should have been covered.

4- This isn't anything against the wallet or anything about the entire package. I just wish there were more effects that I could use this without having any preparation or any extra things. I know you can produce large items from the wallet, but I don't care too much for that. I'm interested in making random things disappear and appear inside the wallet. The problem is, how do you make it disappear and then load it in the wallet? It's not really practical in that sense. Basically what I'm saying is, if you just have your wallet on you, you can't really do much with it unless you have a deck of cards or a large item you want to produce. I'm not using my business cards because I don't write on them nor do I fold them up. Any ideas?

All in all, the wallet is great, should last me a long time but a few of the things mentioned above leave me clueless.

Another review by Quentin

Having used the previous incarnation of the Hip-Pocket Mullica for the last few years, I was very interested in this version, which arrived today.

For me there are two details which make this version superior. Firstly, the Tommy Wonder idea of using a brass zip, and secondly, the zip is a quarter inch closer to the spine of the inner wallet. This makes a huge difference in removing the card from the wallet.

The DVD is aimed at adolescent beginner magicians who no doubt will be doing pathetic jokes about "pulling down my golden zipper". It covers a number of routines, but the basic handling taught is inferior to Tom Mullica's original handling which had an extra layer of deception built in. Do check out Eugene Burger's handling on his DVD, as the "Burger" version taught here butchers it.

Even if you use the basic handling taught by Joe Russell on the DVD, please do not place the inner wallet back on top of the outer wallet. Simply place the outer wallet under your arm or on the table. It is more elegant and much cleaner theatrically.

I've already made a couple of changes/additions to this Super Slim wallet to suit my handling and routines, and if you want to make changes to yours, such as holding Extreme Burn gimmicks in place, then check out Jeremy Weiss's Wallet Killer http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15

I am very pleased with this and would love to see a deluxe version - exactly the same but made of a superior quality leather.

One more review by Randwill :
I love this product. Here are a couple of things from my experience with it.

First of all, I see the phrase, "You can use it as your everyday..." in magic advertising now and then. I would never use an expensive magic prop as my everyday 'whatever'. I do not want to put wear and tear on the thing or risk losing it. I realize that some enjoy having gimicked props with them at all times for spur of the moment performances, but that's not important to me. I made copies of a few of the credit cards I carry in my real wallet, printed them on glossy heavy photo paper, cut them out with rounded corners and put those in the wallet. Also a copy of my drivers license in the pocket of the inner wallet.

When I received my wallet, the inner wallet fit very tightly in its compartment. You obviously want to be able to easily slip the inner wallet out of the compartment during the routine. To enlarge the compartment I used a thin DVD case, the short end of which fits perfectly in there. I slid this into the compartment, under the inner wallet and left it there for several days, stretching the compartment. My inner wallet now slides effortlessly in and out of the enlarged compartment. The DVD case I used is not the standard DVD case, but the super slim version which is only 3/16ths of an inch thick. You might find something else that works or cut something to size, but the super slim DVD case is perfect.

Last review by TSpark :

Very poor quality. I thought it was plastic. I walked away from the purchase (and I walked in ready to buy). My local dealer didn't even want to show it. He just wanted me to buy it sight unseen, without opening the dvd box. Now I know why. Sad. Very disappointing. Not to mention the poor packaging design. The wallet doesn't even fit in the box so it looks damaged before using. The customer has to do the work to restore to proper quality after being smashed in the case. Lame

Overall from what I've read this is a great no palm wallet but although it fits in the back pocket its not very practical as an everyday wallet as it doesn't really look like an average wallet and due to lack of credit card slots and the fact that its not very practical for carrying cash. The other thing I picked up is that the original Mullica handling is the best.
Chris.Z
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Chris.Z
Hi Warren, I just wanted to say thank you for putting this thread together.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3135 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks Chris If you have found it useful that makes it worthwhile Smile
THECLAW
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of THECLAW
Hi Warren,

No Stealth Assassin or JOL himber. Those are both quite good.
THECLAW
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of THECLAW
JOL himber p__k, even better!
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3135 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On May 8, 2015, THECLAW wrote:
Hi Warren,

No Stealth Assassin or JOL himber. Those are both quite good.

Hiya if you have either of those wallets please feel free to post a review here yourself as it would be most welcome Smile
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2288 Posts

Profile of Doomo
I could write reviews. But I am afraid I would be seen as a bit biased. My standards are kinda high.

Tony
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3135 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On May 8, 2015, Doomo wrote:
I could write reviews. But I am afraid I would be seen as a bit biased. My standards are kinda high.

Tony

Tony your reviews would be more than welcome so feel free Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3135 Posts

Profile of warren
As requested some reviews on The Stealth Assassins Wallet which for all intents and purposes is a great hip wallet for the mentalists out there.

Here's a review by Harry Murphy :

I hesitate to write anything about the Stealth since I’ve only used it under fire (in front of a paying audience) nine times so far. That hardly counts as true field-testing. Like Mr. Busch, I tend to NOT write about props just out of the box. I like to use them long enough to make them mine.

Further, remember what is offered here, is just my opinion and nothing more.

Let me say that I don’t normally use or have need of a peek wallet and can’t really say why I spent the hard earned cash on this except to say that I am a wallet junkie and need a 12-step program to help me with that addiction!

My experience with peek wallets goes back to the 60’s when I bought a Dr. Jacks set from Tannens (set because it was two wallets, one gimmicked for the Jacks peek and the other ungimmicked to leave laying about to be examined). I still have the wallets. I have a couple of peek wallets that are based on the Dr. Jacks methodology. One was included in a Collectors Workshop trick that I bought in the early 80’s (and still have).

Anyway…

The Stealth Assassin is a very well made little prop. It is made out of slightly textured (matte like finish) leather. It is approximately 4 ¾ inches by 3 3/8 inches and less than ½ inch thick at the spine, closed. When fully loaded with credit cards, some business cards, a bit of cash, and billets it is about ½ inch thick (it will compress to a bit thinner if you carry it in your hip pocket or if you don’t carry cash in it since any cash you carry must be doubled over). It opens to about 6 7/8 inches.

Mr. Nardi has married some nice ideas and built a clever tool. His stealth methodology is a very clever use of an old Basil Horowitz idea (also used for different purposes by Mason in his Isolation Wallet, and Scarlet in his Pimpernel wallet). He also uses the Sight Unseen Wallet methodology (with full credit and permission). Of course the so-called Sight Unseen methodology is found in earlier wallets (well before the Sight Unseen was even dreamed of but again for different purposes) like the Mullica and the Beta wallets.

While the methodologies are not new the manner in which they are used is! This is the genius of Nardi’s thinking!

The first thing that you will notice is that it is NOT a wallet! That is, it is not a wallet in the sense of anything anyone is likely to buy at even an upscale men’s clothing store, or a leather goods shop. I took it with me to a very upscale men’s store in Washington, D.C. and could find nothing that even remotely looked like this.

It is set-up more along the lines of the so-called Gentleman’s wallet. In fact it is as if a gentleman’s wallet was shrunk to hip-pocket size. Randy Wakeman tried this approach in wallets years ago when he produced his “Expert Card to Wallet”. That was a Balducci gentleman’s wallet shrunk down to hip pocket size. It looked more like a checkbook cover than a real wallet. The proportions of length to width in the Stealth Assassin are better thought out.

Unlike the standard hip pocket wallets the credit cards are vertical (small end up) rather than Horizontal. Further, there is no paper cash compartment to the rear of the wallet (nor can there be!).

Laying the Stealth Assassin open you will see, to your left, three credit card slots fairly widely spaced (about ¾ inch apart). The middle slot is not glued to a pocket lining freeing the band of leather between slot two and three to be used for an “Out to Lunch” feature.

Under these credit card slots/pockets and running perpendicular to them is an opening into a pocket. Under this opening, is a slightly larger opening into a pocket ostensibly for cash (remember that there is no traditional cash pocket to the rear of the wallet).

On the right side you will notice four credit card slots. They are cut closer together (they are about ½ inch apart versus the ¾ an inch on the left side) and the first is cut higher toward the outer edge of the wallet. Thus if you were to load your wallet with Credit cards, etc. you will have more of your card exposed on the left side.

I must admit that I didn’t watch the DVDs right away (my player crapped out and I had to buy a new one). I explored the wallet first. I easily found that both sides are built to steal a peek. Two different methodologies are used! The left side uses the “Stealth” and the right side uses the Sight Unseen/Mullica. Further, the left side has two different ways to load the Stealth peek area. You will have to make a “something” to enhance one of the load areas. Hopefully you have an old credit card lying about.

I also found what looked like five very narrow credit card slots on the Stealth side of the wallet. I was confused as to why they were there (and remained confused for several days until I bought a DVD player). They were in a spot not seen by the spectator. It was later when I watched the DVDs that I found out that they were so placed to be a small billet index.

There are five slots and the DVD shows it holding up to 10 small (very small) billets. There is room under these five slots for one more slot to be cut (maybe two) giving you 12 billets or more (but will you need them?). This is very clever well hidden, and easy to access. What more could you ask from a simple billet holder?

The billet slots are of a size that takes a number 1 coin envelope. I’ve loaded two coin envelopes in the billet holder and a third in a credit card slot for a prediction trick.

Yes it will “pass” for a wallet to be sure but I suspect that if you are working for magicians/mentalists it will whisper “prop” (but only just whisper).

It takes its form from its functions.

THE DVDs: Two come with the wallet. I don’t know why two because all of the material would have fit on one. Peter Nardi and Marc Spelmann give you the works. There is more than enough on the DVDs to last you for years. The hints and techniques for using the different aspects of the wallet are invaluable.

Nardi and Spelmann have the good chemistry of old friends and banter back and forth a bit. All the presentations are casual and informal. Suggestions are made on many of the routines to flesh it out or go a different direction. Good stuff this!

Let me say that I have performed Visa Cabaret since it was released. I have actually gimmicked wallets to perform it. Well this wallet is set up to do the trick using Bills (bank notes)! This it the one routine that I have used most often with this wallet.

I have also performed Arthur Carter’s “Out of this Wallet” for a couple of decades. Recently I have been using Bob Solari’s version (Solari's Wallet). It is the same trick with a slightly different methodology. The Stealth Assassin is built to do the trick (this is not on the instructions and is suggested here for those of you who actually have read this far!).

The Stealth peek is a joy to use. I have used in the hands peeks and center tears for years. I never thought I’d go back to using a wallet or other prop for a peek. Well this is just too easy and natural to use to pass up.

Right out of the box, my first night of use for a paying audience I performed a set of three different tricks using the wallet, Cash (Visa) Cabaret, Out of this Wallet, and a drawing duplication. The focus is not on the wallet, it comes and goes and appears to just be a tray, a marker, or a place to hide something from view. It is the casual handling of a day-to-day object that helps it fly by. Watch Peter and Marc handle it on the DVDs and you will get the idea of how casually and indifferently it should be used.

Bottom line…Peter Nardi has designed and built an excellent prop and working professionals tool. He has provided a wealth of routines, ideas, and tips on using the prop. The whole kit and caboodle gets my strongest recommendation.

As to price? I believe that he is selling it too cheaply (I was checking out a Harrington’s catalogue and the Italian leather wallets started at $100.00 and they just carried cash and cards!)!

A review by Sooty :

Having now received mine yes, it is a good wallet, yes, you could get a 20 minute act out of it at a push (but it would look very suspect), and yes it is very nicely made.

Here are my thoughts though...it doesn't look like an everyday wallet (I always thought my stealth wallet looked a little suspect - who has a slot for a card in the middle of a wallet!). You really have to ring it in and out of play as though it's an afterthought as was the case with the stealth. I saw a magi friend using the SA in performance and he was obviously so proud to own it he made too much of it in the performance to the specs. The spec asked to look inside....erk!

You can't load it full of coins and cash so it really is only suitable for credit cards and business cards, and not too many at that. This detracts from the normalness of the wallet.

If Peter was to design a mark 3 version of the stealth I'd really like to see one in the style of an everyday hip wallet.

I'm pleased with SA, but I don't think it's the answer to all my prayers as everyone else seems to think.

It has nice features but as with all mentalism it's totally in the performance, the wallet will give you a few things to play with but I suspect most people will only use one or two as suits them.

A the end of the day it's horses for courses. If you want a wallet gimmicked to the hilt go for it. But if you know what you like to perform choose a wallet more specific to what you want to acheive, and that looks less suspicious.

Peter, if you go for a proper hip style wallet next time I'd be willing to pay twice the price!

The following is another updated review by Sooty :

When I first received my SAW I was a little disappointed based on all the hype that surrounded the launch (see previous posts).

However, I've been using the wallet for some weeks now and it's definitely grown on me.

This is a prop that needs to be used many, many times and the various utilities experimented with in order to appreciate the range of possibilities.

The SAW forum is an invaluable source of tips and ideas.

Peter, just for the record, my presentation of the ID has changed forever. The idea of producing a THOUGHT OF CARD face down adds immeasurably to the effect.

I have come up with 3 new ideas for the SAW, one of which uses the wallet in a way which I'm sure wasn't intentioned, not exactly mentalism but a great little trick nevertheless.

I may put it on the SAW forum soon.

A review by Tony Razzano :

The Stealth Assassin Wallet, by Peter Nardi of Alakazam Magic, is one of the finest devices ever made for a mentalist.

It is well made and ingeniously designed. It is exceptionally versatile and it can be used by most as your every day wallet you carry in your pants pocket.

I have waited a while to write this, as I wanted to use the Stealth Assassin Wallet (SAW) under fire for a while before posting. There are a lot of aspects to the SAW and I really wanted to examine them all. Not all the possibilities, mind you, as they are infinite, but the workings and some variations on those workings.

Closed, the wallet is 3 ¼ inches wide by 4 ½ inches high (8cm x 11 ½ cm). Open, its 6 ¾ inches wide (17 ½ cm), same height of course. The thickness depends on what you put in it. Made of very good quality leather

There are 2 ways to ***k, and one of those has 2 ways to get the business card into position, so essentially you have 3 choices. One is the original Stealth Wallet method and there is another vertical insertion with a faux credit card (if you wish) as a deception of another layer. These do require you to reopen the wallet later for the ***k, but this should not be a concern. Most experienced performers know that there is no problem here, but in case you DO have a worry about it, Peter Nardi and Marc Spellman show you how to successfully address this on the DVD. I have never been caught out with this (or any other) wallet. More on the DVD’s later. By the way, in the Stealth side, the ***k is full business card.

The second way to ***k is via the SUC method which is built into this wallet (with Mark Strivings’ permission). Because of the SUC gimmick, you can also steal, load and switch billets with ease. The SUC part also makes it very easy to swami/PW.

In addition, there is a billet index built into the gimmicked side. It can hold 10 billets easily. You do need to use paper and not card stock to keep the wallet from getting too bulky to close properly. Some guys use Post It Notes, some just plain paper. I found a nice paper at my local Target Store. I have actually put 11 billets in the gimmick and one in the regular side for a total of 12.

There is also an Out To Lunch (OTL) feature in the regular part of the wallet on the left side. You can use the gimmick from the top OR the bottom so you have some leeway as to where you want the spectator to sign the card. It seems to some that you can’t ditch the gimmick on the OTL side because it’s in a wallet. But you can. I will tell you how to get that info later in this review (most will figure it out, though if you have the wallet).

The ***k w****w can be used to hide a prompter. Peter and Marc give a very nice routine for this on the DVD’s. Also, in that same area, there is a small extension of a piece of leather. This was done on purpose. Again, the application of this is on the DVD’s. I found it rather ingenious!

The DVD’s are very well produced. No audience, just Peter and Marc and It works out fine that way. There are 10 routines on the 2 DVD’s, as well as the breakdown of the wallet and some more tips and ideas at the end. The routines are very good, but what I find even more valuable is that Peter and Marc don’t just give the bare bones, but they give numerous subtleties and psychology and reasons for the actions of each routine. You can choose the routine(s) and type of ***k, steal, etc. for whatever situation you are in.

The routines are Short List, Quizmaster, Card at Any Number, Cash Cabaret, Hollywood or Bust, First Love (not just the name but the place of the 1st date in many cases…that’s what I mean about the subtleties), One A****, Design Dupe (with excellent psychology), Drinks Are On Me, OTL, and a wrap up with several more ideas at the end. Peter also gives an example of how he sets up the SAW, although you would customize this to your personal preferences.

The DVD’s are about an hour and a half (or so) long and are enjoyable to watch. Marc and Peter’s humor comes through very nicely, too. I am sure that you can come up with several routines on your own with this highly versatile wallet. But if not, what you get on the DVD’s are all you need to really do some strong mentalism.

As Peter points out on the DVD, with the SAW you really can have an act in your pocket. You would not be using all of the components nor the same one twice, if you mix and match the ideas/routines given here.

Another big bonus is that included is the Stealth Assassin’s owners, forum. There have been some very nice ideas on there and it is most valuable. That is where I am going to post the stealing of the OTL gimmick.

The SAW is great not just for what it can do, but what you can do with it.
At 99.99 pounds sterling, this is a bargain. It has my highest recommendation.

It is available at: http://www.stealthassassin.com

Best regards,
Tony Razzano

Whilst the original Stealth Assassin Wallet is no longer being made it has been replaced with the improved Stealth Assassin Wallet V1.1 which has all the great features of the original but now with an extra pocket on the SUC side of the wallet and the magnets are now stitched in place!

My overall thought are that this is an excellent wallet for the mentalists with many pros and I really like the fact it incorporates an out to lunch principle built in. However its probably not the best choice as an everyday wallet as you can't carry your cash properly in this wallet if you see a video demo of the wallet you'll understand what I mean, and at the end of the day that is the real function of a wallet.

Whilst not a card to wallet from what I've read you can do a none palmed card to wallet with this that's akin to that on Jerry O'Connell's "No Palm" wallet although I believe the card has to be folded.

I would presume that if the wallet can be loaded that you could also do a regular card to wallet also but probably via a mercury card fold although as I don't own this wallet I can't say for sure so my comments on using this wallet for card to wallet are not based on facts so if anyone has anything they would like to add regards this please feel free.
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
516 Posts

Profile of Vogler
I just ordered the Hip Wallet by Jerry O’Connell and PropDog. Anyone who use it? I want to use it as my real wallet...
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3135 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On May 9, 2015, Juliano wrote:
I just ordered the Hip Wallet by Jerry O’Connell and PropDog. Anyone who use it? I want to use it as my real wallet...

Hi Juliano, if you read the very first review it should tell you everything you need to know about this wallet but to answer your question it is perfect for use as a regular wallet and always ready for you to perform a miracle with Smile
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
516 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Many thanks Warren! I Am going now to read carefully the first review!
THECLAW
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of THECLAW
Thanks for posting the Stealth Wallet info
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Instead of wasting bandwidth, why not just post links to the reviews?

And, a nitpick, the Stealth Assassin does not meet the criteria of the thread - card to wallet.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3135 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On May 9, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
Instead of wasting bandwidth, why not just post links to the reviews?

And, a nitpick, the Stealth Assassin does not meet the criteria of the thread - card to wallet.

First the purpose of this thread was to have all the info in one place rather than having to jump from thread to thread as this was the sort of thread I was looking for but couldn't find, secondly I don't know how to post links and if I did the links I would choose to post would be to video demos of the wallets, thirdly your the only one that's complained that I've wasted bandwidth so I'm taking it that your just a troll with nothing better to do however if I get say another 5 posts from 5 different members asking me to stop then just for you I'll stop trying to help fellow café members out.

Whilst I agree the stealth assassin is not a card to wallet I was asked to put a review on here and although not strictly a card to wallet magicians have and do use it to perform card to wallet with, I hope that clears things up for you.........oh and feel free to post a review on any card to wallets that you have owned Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Guide to buying Card to wallet (18 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.71 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL