The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The coolest thing ever! (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
I remember very well my junior high school bookstore. I worked there twice a week during my lunch period. I enjoyed doing that a lot. I credit that experience as crucial to my formation as the Captain of Industry that I am now.

And they had some cool protractors, too.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Te coolest thing fro me was finally bringing my baby daughter home from the hospital after having to see her in an incubator every day for way too long (7 weeks premature)!

As for book stores in schools, we have always had them, John. They were not always formal structures, but every school I attended or worked at at least had a room or even a closet out of which they dispensed pencils, notebooks, and such. We always referred to them as "bookstores".

Y'know, I was thinking of all sorts of things, full-sized T.A.R.D.I.S., my first professional magic show, my first appearance on stage (not the same thing) but you're right. My second child was six weeks premature and bringing him home after watching over him at the ICU for preemies (and seeing some of the other babies there :sad:) is definately the coolest thing ever.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Yes, Ed, it was very sad. I often think of those babies, knowing that some did not make it. Our NICU used to have reunions, and many of those children had obvious hearing, sight, and physical disabilities. I am so thankful for our hospital and the great care those workers provided. It's very cool to have those people in the world!
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
I'll recycle a post I made in an earlier thread:

My first year of college, I was a physics major at UNLV. A group of students went on a field trip to the test site to see a bunch of sciency stuff, a lot of which had nothing to do with nuclear weapons or energy. But we did take a trip to walk around a crater formed by a below ground nuclear detonation. It was terrifying and awe inspiring. The reason the crater exists is because when the blast goes off under ground, a certain amount of earth is literally vaporized. Then the rest of it falls in, so the volume of the crater is more or less equal to the amount of vaporized dirt. And... it was a LOT of vaporized dirt. It's staggering to contemplate the energies involved.

We also went to a little "test city," in which architects and engineers tested the strength of building designs. The city we walked around was about 1 mile from ground zero for a 50 kiloton above ground detonation. (50 kT is about 2-3 times the energy of the WWII bombs). It was strange to see the damage. At that distance, the radiation and heat doesn't pose a significant threat to structures. Instead, the thing that does the damage is the compression shockwave. The bomb creates an ultra-dense curtain of air that expands outward. For this blast, and at that distance, the peak air densities were something like 10,000 times the density of steel, in a layer that was 2-3 meters thick and expanding outward at about the speed of sound.

Ouch.

Needless to say, buildings didn't fare well. However, structures that were "aerodynamic" and were oriented perpendicular to the wavefront managed to come out okay. But the damage was surreal. Re-bar, columns, or other structural support members were sort of frozen in time, looking like blades of grass blowing in the wind.

Anyways, it remains one of the most awe-inspiring and terrifying experiences I've been through. I can't help but feel a swell of pride, as a then-aspiring physicist, in mankind's ingenuity to create and direct so much energy. But of course, the downer is that it was all done in the name of obliterating our fellow man.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
Being at the game when the Detroit Tigers won the 1984 World Series and going on the field after.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2917 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
After reading the posts above, I can't say that I can put my finger on one coolest thing ever, but definitely up there on the short list was my visit to the Mercury mission control room at the Kennedy Space Center. I was working at a scenic studio in NY around 1998 or so, and the Center was looking for someone to design a new exhibit that would include the control room. So several design firms went down for a tour which included a long ride in a van, out to the middle of nowhere, to the control room itself. We went all through the building, the control room, the mechanical space behind that huge display board, the whole nine yards.

For a kid who grew up glued to the TV every time a Mercury mission went up, and watching the display in that room, that visit was like a religious experience.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
The Great Wall of China. Driving up to it and seeing it follow the mountain ridge line for as far as the eye can see was the coolest thing ever.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Fits your name.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
My kid being born ranks up there, doesn't it have something to do with sex?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The coolest thing ever! (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL