The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » The worst trailer for an effect you've ever seen? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PaulSharke
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of PaulSharke
Right now I'm having a laugh at this effect: http://www.ellusionist.com/kolyviumph-by-daniel-chard.html

I can't decide what my favorite part about it is. The very visible control? How about the !@#$e s*****e? How about when the camera goes blurry so you can't see the s*****e but you can see it anyway?

And in addition to all that, this muddy effect is billed as an improvement to Vernon's method, sacrificing clarity for the sake of some so-called "sexy" flourishes.

I think what makes this a bad trailer (and not just a bad effect) is the palette choice. Dark shirt, dark card backs, dark close-up mat. I feel like I can't see anything!

But I'm sure there are worse trailers out there. What are some you've seen?
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
The worst part is that someone will buy it!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
"sacrificing clarity for the sake of some so-called "sexy" flourishes"
That's a rather apt description of much modern "magic."
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2015, PaulSharke wrote:
this muddy effect is billed as an improvement to Vernon's method

Just to be fair, that's not what they say. It's billed as a "contemporary homage to Dai Vernon's classic."

Well, Jared Kopf's version is certainly a contemporary homage to Dai Vernon's classic trick, but this newest botch is just like spitting on the professor's grave.
Hoju
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Hoju
I'm laughing with ~astonishment~.

Bravo. This is some next-level, Andy Kaufman-type stuff.
bignickolson
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of bignickolson
Saw the thread title and came in here to post Kolyviumph...beaten from the get go.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Bad hair day?
terryisaacs
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of terryisaacs
Wow!! That was terrible. The guy can clearly handle cards but...... to many things to say where this went wrong. I guess this continues to show that being good with your hands doesn't mean you understand magic (or angles). Do they have quality control at all like some kind of an editor to watch this? Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed it and also hated it, lol.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Great, now I can't get Vernon's voice out of my head imagining what he'd say about that routine. Trust me, he would not have been kind...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » The worst trailer for an effect you've ever seen? (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL