The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Gone With The Wind (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I too would struggle to get through The Godfather. I enjoyed the book, but don't ask me to watch the movie. As a child I probably saw Gone with the Wind, but I have no great desire to sit through it again.

The one ancient blockbuster I could watch over and over is Dr Zhivago, which I am now reading for the first time. So far, I hate to say, the movie is winning.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2015, Chessmann wrote:
My wife enjoys movies, but only if they are in color.

That's a shame Chessmann. Some of my favorite movies are from the old black & white days. The good ones have better plots, better acting, better music, better directing, better cinematography, etc. than most of the "modern" films I've seen. Plus I love the intriguing use of shadows and darkness and light in the old b&w noir and horror films.

As regards Gone With The Wind: It is an epic film, but I can't say I'm a big fan.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2015, tommy wrote:
I guess when, Gone with the Wind, was made, people still had living memories of the civil war from parents and so on. Art is often loved in its time if people can relate to it.

I seem to remember at the premiere, they brought a couple of actual veterans from the Civil War!

"Casablanca" and "The Maltese Falcon" are the best movies in the world!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
ED, I'll add one of my favorites: The Third Man.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
They used to show Gone With The Wind on TV every year when I was a kid. I remember this because for several years every time it came on my mother made me watch it claiming, "It is a classic movie and you have never seen it." Being a young boy, and wanting to do anything but watch this movie, the forced viewings led me to despise it.

Years later I decided to watch it as an adult and see if my tastes had changed. It's a pretty good movie. I'll never go out of my way to see it again, but for the time it was made and the story it's an okay flick. The scene that sticks out most to me from when I was a kid was not the "give a ***" speech that this movie is so famous for; it was the soldier getting his leg cut off by the army doctor. Pretty brutal and frightening for a kid to watch.

When it comes to chick flicks that I can really dig the Sound Of Music has to take top prize. I probably won't watch it again any time soon because I've seen it several times, but I think it's a great, fun movie. Any movie that has nuns removing car parts has to have some redeeming value. Smile

Also on the topic of chick flicks, Pride and Prejudice and Anne Of Green Gables are pretty great as well.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
Seeing a movie in 1939 is much different then today. I fell asleep during Fidller on the Roof.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
Gone with the Wind, it was before World War II, when men weren't gay.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
You might want to look up the story of why George Zukor was fired as director.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well frankly Scarlet, I don't give a ***.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2015, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2015, silvercup wrote:
Never watched it, but then I saw the Godfather movies last week.
Kept falling asleep trying to see one through the years.

You really fell asleep trying to watch the Godfather movies? Did you try and watch them all in one sitting? That would be difficult. However I cannot imagine not getting involved and taken into the content of the films as I personally thought they were every bit as good as the books.

IMHO, The Godfather and The Godfather 2 are among the top ten films of all time. They were far better than the book upon which they were based.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

You really fell asleep trying to watch the Godfather movies? Did you try and watch them all in one sitting? That would be difficult. However I cannot imagine not getting involved and taken into the content of the films as I personally thought they were every bit as good as the books.

IMHO, The Godfather and The Godfather 2 are among the top ten films of all time. They were far better than the book upon which they were based.

Strongly agree with the first sentence, but not the second.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
^ ^ +1

Also, three of my top ten favorites with Godfather 1&2 (not 3): One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Saving Private Ryan, The Sting.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Gone With The Wind (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL