The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Best Kids Magic (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicvincent
View Profile
New user
Toronto
33 Posts

Profile of magicvincent
Although I have never met him, I have communicated with Danny. I found him to be very professional and helpful to learn from. You can learn from watching other entertainer's videos as I have. However, I would like to recommend one thing. Do not try to be a copycat. There is only one Danny Orleans and only one you! Be the best You that you can be. Learn from others but make the Magic and routines your own. I change patter, props and presentation to fit who I am as a performer. Also, listen to your audience. Experience is your best Teacher!
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
It'd be a learning experience to imitate the basic steps that Danny Orleans has provided, by way of watching the videos. I think it'd be unethical to become a "copycat" -- besides, there's too much room for the fun of inventing a show of one's own, rather than imitating someone else's. I'm at a starting point, and I don't have enough experience to copy (and use) what a professional knows how to do. That process would grow, and live a life of it's own.

The basic steps probably are very clear in the videos he's made available -- imitating the basic steps is a natural first step. Elaborating on them so that the steps "fit" in with my own ideas is WHAT I HOPE will be the path taken. Fortunately there's always room for improvement. And, the fun of entertaining others makes it worth while.
magicvincent
View Profile
New user
Toronto
33 Posts

Profile of magicvincent
Yes. Learning the basic structure of a routine from a video or DVD to start is fine. It is also fun to not only change the presentation to your own style, but find ways to strengthen the Magic or reduce weak points in the routine. There is always room for improvement.
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
Thanks magicvincent -- I appreciate the input! Yes, the structure is important. And (for me) at this point, I'd prefer to have a show be like a conversation with the kids.. it's a story-telling situation, and that kind of structure would inherently provide a variety of magical avenues (deviations). My thinking is that the overall "show" would be improved by doing that.
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
Also, I think that it'd be a mistake to get too fussy too soon! LOL, … I/we have to rely on what 'works' rather than become lost in concocting something that'd fly over their heads.

Thanks - Chris
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On May 27, 2018, Blackington wrote:
Thanks magicvincent -- I appreciate the input! Yes, the structure is important. And (for me) at this point, I'd prefer to have a show be like a conversation with the kids.. it's a story-telling situation, and that kind of structure would inherently provide a variety of magical avenues (deviations). My thinking is that the overall "show" would be improved by doing that.

YUP..I've been "preaching" THAT sermon for a long time. Surveys have shown that the "watch me do these clever tricks" types of performers, won't last long. Adults, as well as kids, need to feel "involved" in the program, or they tend to lose interest.

I learned, years ago, to talk WITH them, not TO, or AT, them!!! I even ask questions (to which I KNOW the answers!) to get a shy group of kids, to respond. Sometimes, it's just a nod, but, often, it's a very vocal response. Note: I don't promote SCREAMING. I want LAUGHING!

I wrote a big essay about "sucker" tricks, in my book. I open with a "sucker" trick, BUT, it's a "soft", even, "gentle" "sucker" trick. The audience (even High School groups)realize that, I'm going to fool them, but not, make fools OF them. At the finish, there's a nice LAUGH, AND, APPLAUSE.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
Dick - what's the name of your book, and is it recent or still around?
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
I'll probably be spending all summer reading/planning what should go into a show. However, it's fascinating to read about how the changes in beliefs and technology have occurred, and how 'Magic' has evolved with those changes - yes, that may seem academic, but it's a good way to transfer the magical language of the past into a present day performance. Like many other art forms, there was probably a time when the magic-type show (rituals, seances, etc.) were meant for adults. But now? - it's all entertainment!

Chris
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
I don't know if others do this... but recently I've been reading through The Jinx. IMO...The era, and the nature of staging/presentation, offer a lot to spark the imagination because there's a real sense of theater that was built into magic at that time. Nice stuff.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On May 27, 2018, Blackington wrote:
Dick - what's the name of your book, and is it recent or still around?

Hi Chris! I'll PM you with details about my "magnum opus"!
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
That sounds good, Dick. I'll keep a look out for that. Thank you.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I just finished reading Dick's book for the second time. It is a GOLD MINE of information.

It is one of best investments you can make (the other being the TARBELL course)!

Buy it, read it and APPLY it and it will change how you perform magic...for the BETTER!!

All the best

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
MBI - I'll put it on my list... thanks for the recommendation.

-Chris
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Chris...PM me your mailing address, and, I'll send you a review by David Seebach.

My book has been mailed to four continents.
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
Dick - PM me the review by Seeback - thanks!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Chris---It's a whole 8 1/2 x 11 page from MUM! (My fingers are getting "old & rickety"!) It's easier to mail it!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I should explain that....I don't have the slightest idea of how to scan "stuff", etc.!!!!!!!!!!
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
I wonder if you can take a picture of it, and save it to your computer -- then, upload it in a PM to me. Let me know if that's possible.

Thanks Dick - let me know. We'll figure something out.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
HI Chris...I haven't owned any sort of camera for "eons"! I use a "dumb" phone! J

I do manage to get this "infernal electrisch peckenclacker" turned on (booted?). But, I haven't the slightest idea of what makes it work! --Oh yes! ELECTRICITY is what makes it work!!! (heehee)

I made a "deal" with the Postal Service! (I buy their stamps, stick 'em on an envelope, and, they take it to where it's addressed. I also made a deal with UPS. They copy stuff with their machine, and, I can send it, via the USPO! I realize that, it's an out of date system, but, I'm out of date, too!

Yr's,,,
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
Dick, I understand your point. I thought it'd be easier for you to use a cell phone/camera, but apparently it's not. To be honest, I've already read and gleaned some of your ideas from the comments you've put in MC. There's no need to send it snail mail...but, I do appreciate the offer.
Thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Best Kids Magic (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL