The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What we talk about... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
What I want to talk about is if that little larvae thing squirming at the bottom of Brians recent posts is going to be another fly.

If so, then please give fair warning since the last one nearly cost me a monitor the first time I saw it. Smile
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Let's talk about bottoms.

Count on Magnus to make an ill-conceived comment in an attempt to derail this thread.

If anything, we should be talking about centers, or, at least, seconds.

Bottoms, forsooth!
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:

Unfriendliness concerns me. Not personally, but as a thinker. When I put on my political philosophy hat, I start to get a wee bit concerned about how unfriendly debate here has become, because I wonder if it reflects an unfriendliness of debate in America. Since I haven't lived there for twenty years, I worry that America has changed, that it has gotten grumpy and hostile and unfriendly toward a diversity of opinion and experience and ideas.

But maybe it's just the Café.

Unfortunately, I believe you are 100% correct. I do believe this country is a "grumpier" place to put it mildly. At first I blamed it on the aging population. However it is now so rampant that I see it in the youngest of children. I participate in several community meetings. Not that long ago it was relatively easy to achieve consensus. Both sides knew what had to be done and although they may have differed on the approach, consensus was reached and progress commenced. Now, the simplest of issues which could be settled by common sense alone become major, stalemated issues and nothing gets done. It's a pure case of my way or the highway.

I am no sociologist, but I believe there are a few potential causes, some obvious, some not so much. An obvious one for me is to look at our leaders in government at all levels, federal, state and local. They vote party lines whether right or wrong and they feel stalemates are an acceptable way of them meeting their obligations. I can't imagine a worse example set for the general population, our children, and those citizens learning about our country. Not so obvious, Google Search. We now live in a world where just about any individual age four and over can search any subject at any time and place. As a result everybody becomes an expert on everything and knows all the answers. We no longer defer to those in the know who have spent a significant part of their lifetime becoming knowledgeable in an area of expertise, but instead draw our conclusions from our 60 second search of the internet and nobody can tell us differently.

Enough for now, I hate to rant...
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Yes I blame the magic. We learn a few tricks and we begin to think we know something others don’t know; we become the smartest person around.

Now you add a place like the internet to hide behind and we have the perfect place to prove that we are the smartest.
Doesn’t matter that 99 percent of the world might disagree with us, we know better. Thanks to the internet we have
the power to be faster than a speeding bullet, leap tall buildings and do it all. We haven’t changed we just feel we
have found the perfect playground to be king.Smile

But seriously, and I say again, “people believe what they want to believe” and a few posts on here will not change anything.
Set minds cannot be changed so easily. Best to say ‘yes sir’ and keep on moving.

When you think about it, being right is not all that important anyway, rarely is it a life or death topic.

All this reminds me of my favorite quote by Robert Brault:

“Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.”

Tom
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Issues.....What Issues? Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2015, imgic wrote:
When I was a kids...we had dial up modems. We had to wait for squeaky tones so we could get onto the World Wide Internet Web. Then all we had was UserNet forums...none of this fancy Youbook and Facetube that you youngsters have today. And we were civil to one another...we were polite. We spoke of only things that had socially redeeming values. We didn't waste time posting pictures of our last bowl of cereal...

Those were the days...

LOL! When I was a kid, we had no dial-up modems, or computers for that matter. We looked things up in the Encyclopedia Britannica that our parents struggled to pay for the whole set, or the public library. We played stickball in the streets, we spent whole summer days never being near adults who watched over everything we did and spoon-feeding us in the process. We were allowed to be kids. We had snowball fights in the winter! Yikes, imagine that today? We were free and we had fun. I'm not saying progress is bad; all I'm saying is that I wish the kids today could enjoy the freedoms I enjoyed in my youth. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Bob only the rich kids could afford the Britannica. I had to settle for the Funk & Wagnalls.
Think we got one a week from Piggly Wiggly until we had the whole set. LOL

Tom
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Ha! Think you guys had it bad? I had to walk barefoot to school on unpaved roads! LOL.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
^ ^ Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Oh Yeah? You had it easy! I had to walk barefoot to school on unpaved roads littered with broken bottles covered in snow so that you couldn't spot them!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Yeah, but I was lying down on those broken-bottle littered roads that you were walking on...
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Let me guess, it was five miles to the schoolhouse and it was uphill going and coming back. Smile

Tom
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
And that was just to the outhouse...
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
You guys clearly haven't been attacked by the Iranian kissing mothers on the way to school.

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2015, kambiz wrote:
You guys clearly haven't been attacked by the Iranian kissing mothers on the way to school.

Kam

No, but my wife and I were stuck (read that "trapped") on a Pan Am "Round the World" flight in the summer of 1979 on a tarmac at whatever the dammed name of the airport was called in Teheran back then, for two hours with no air conditioning and armed soldiers surrounding the plane while more armed soldiers boarded the plane. Seeking what? I have no idea but passengers were a little shaky, including yours truly. The American Embassy hostage crisis began four months later. Give me a kissing Iranian mother any time.

kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2015, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2015, kambiz wrote:

Kam

No, but my wife and I were stuck (read that "trapped") on a Pan Am "Round the World" flight in the summer of 1979 on a tarmac at whatever the dammed name of the airport was called in Teheran back then, for two hours with no air conditioning and armed soldiers surrounding the plane while more armed soldiers boarded the plane. Seeking what? I have no idea but passengers were a little shaky, including yours truly. The American Embassy hostage crisis began four months later. Give me a kissing Iranian mother any time.

Hahaha yes puts things into perspective for sure that one Bob

Glad it ended in a good way Smile

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Smile

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Oh Yeah? You had it easy! I had to walk barefoot to school on unpaved roads littered with broken bottles covered in snow so that you couldn't spot them!

Paul? Paul Pacific? Is that you? Smile
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2015, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
...most:

religion and politics.

Homosexuality, guns, evolution, the Bible, liberalism and conservatism, bla bla bla.

I guess it's what most people want to talk about here. But frankly, I'm tired of it.

Back when I got addicted to the "Not very magical" forum, we used to have a lot of fun. That was years ago. There were legendary threads: Mike Doogan, the Frenches, the Eurovision song that we wrote together. And yes, other topics continually pop up. But a thread like, say, Gone With the Wind might have struck a chord and resulted in ten pages of fun and gags and double entendres as good-spirited nonsense. Mostly, it was friendly. These days a thread like that might get half a dozen posts.

But should someone decide to shoot up a school today, we'll go crazy until the mods delete the thread. We'll blame or defend guns, religion, the quality of schooling in America, Obamacare, whatever. It'll go to as many pages as the mods allow.

In some ways I like it. I like that America is a vibrant place with enthusiastic, loud, penetrating discussion. But it ALWAYS reveals unfriendliness.

Unfriendliness concerns me. Not personally, but as a thinker. When I put on my political philosophy hat, I start to get a wee bit concerned about how unfriendly debate here has become, because I wonder if it reflects an unfriendliness of debate in America. Since I haven't lived there for twenty years, I worry that America has changed, that it has gotten grumpy and hostile and unfriendly toward a diversity of opinion and experience and ideas.

But maybe it's just the Café.

No, it's America, Jeff.
As the inequality grows, the polarization grows.

Historically, I think we've been at least as polarized in the past as we are now.

Though I did not attend I am fairly certain the Civil War was fairly polarizing. To say nothing of the aftermath. (Or reconstruction depending on geography )
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
What we talk about are things that are not real if we want to keep Jeff happy.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What we talk about... (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL