The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Seniors hate watching magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jondabach
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of jondabach
How old you are has nothing to do with how much a crowd will like you. They may identify with you faster but you can always find something in common with your audience. It's there, just search for it. If you're in a restaurant, comment on how you like what they've ordered. Ask where they're from before you even do a trick; establish rapport with them.

Another invaluable thing to do is learn a few words in different languages. Older people more often come from different countries as America is a country of immigrants. If you speak their language you are one of them...if you speak one or two words of their language it shows you know enough to care and consider them a friend. I speak a few words in english, yiddish, hebrew, spanish, Russian, Arabic, and am working on some more in the oriental languages.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I did a holiday party and didn't know what the ages were going to be except that it was adults.

When I arrived, it was a house-full-o'-seniors.

I thought they were very receptive.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Telemus
View Profile
Regular user
Everett WA
128 Posts

Profile of Telemus
I have always had very good results with seniors. The problem comes in when you try to get people to come forward to assist. Many would rather just be entertained and not as involved. I think in years past it was common to treat volunteers badly.
Telemus
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Those with fewer social graces will be viewed as rude to many people, making it harder for them to establish a rapport. If someone comes across as a run-of-the mill magician, people will be apprehensive. There are way too many magicians who offend their audiences in a myriad of ways. I do everything I can to come across as a professional entertainer.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I did a show last Wednesday for 200 elderly women and they loved it!

However, in the past I have had less luck with older audiences because I was didn't lower my status. Many people believe that older people should be not just respected but treated with the reverence of an elder statesmen and that young people should bow down to their experience.

If you are extremely friendly, polite, sincere, and bow down to their experience, most older ( and I mean, over 70) will be happy to engage you.

I have found that talking to older people rather then just launching into patter works well!
majorshaw
View Profile
New user
Randy Shaw
73 Posts

Profile of majorshaw
From one old dude, you may have to change your approach, think Peter is right. being a full time magicain and once a therapist. If you approach anyone what your not sure of your body will tell as well as your eyes and tone. approach them as friend of the family.
R.Shaw

AIMC with Silver Star
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I suppose I could try that, but it could take me a LONG time to memorize all that!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
I have gotten excellent responses from older people, even table-hopping, and I suspect it's due to one big factor: RESPECT.

First, I tend to dress effectively. I generally wear a coat and tie when performing indoors, and many older people view this as a sign of respect. In fact, I recently lectured for a magic club with many older members and they made a point of commenting that they liked me better than the lecturers who showed up in blue jeans (it is a paid speaking gig, after all).

Second, I show respect by listening. Many older folks are just as happy to have a conversation as to watch magic, and sometimes that's all I do. Let's face it, you love it when people are giving you their undivided attention. So do other people. I find a little small talk often gets the ball rolling. And they come back the next week with the grandkids in tow!

Third, I come from a four-generation Navy family (both of my parents were naval officers). So I was taught to say "sir" and "ma'am" and "please" and "thank you." These are truly magic words!

Fourth, I have many years' experience performing for older audiences. I grew up about a block from a local nursing home. When I was a teenager and just starting in magic, one of the old ladies from my church moved in to the home, and I would visit her and do some magic. On my summer vacations, I needed a place to try out new material, and since few people visit nursing homes in the summer (sad but true) they were thrilled to have a free magic show as often as I wanted to show up.

I figured that if my material went over with people who might be visually, aurally or cognitively impaired, it was ready for any audience. I gained much more from that experience than they did, believe me.

Finally, if all else fails, pretend that they are your grandparents. Works like magic!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2004-02-21 23:05, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I have found that talking to older people rather then just launching into patter works well!

I think this should be very high on the priority list of every magician.

Allow me to let you in on a secret...

If you walk up to people and start pattering at 100 mph ...... you have no people skills Zero.!!!

I think an extremely large percentage of people will be immediately turned off and will nearly throw up on your shoes if you walk up to them and start "performing".

It is too 'IN YOUR FACE'. They will want to leave. You are making them uncomfortable. Stop it.

I went wine tasting the other day with my wife. One wine pourer was just a wine pourer. Nothing fancy. You know.... poured wine.... and stuff.
The other one... it was a performance. You know the type. Winking, smiling, telling the same tired jokes you could tell they told to everyone else that came by .... I almost puked. Very embarassed. Very uncomfortable. Just wanted them to leave me alone.!!!!! Can you say.... self-centered.

There is no room for that in magic (or wine pouring)

Don't be so over the top. Walk up, smile, take a deep breath, and BE YOURSELF!!!!

FOR GOD'S SAKE.

Some people ... their whole life is a performance. I feel very very sad for them.

Phew!!!

So. I think performing magic is sort of like this. We need to be ourselves.

In summary, Nicholas J. Johnson up there must be a real magician! He listens to his audience, adjusts, and therefore becomes better with age... just like a fine wine.

Kudos to Nicholas J. Johnson for observing, engaging his brain, and coming away from a gig with new insight.

I feel better already.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Hit a nerve there, Frank?
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
This age groups is a lot of fun. I always enjoy going to their table. They also like to just watch you at other tables. Just make sure you humble yourself when talking to them and doing your stuff. They love to talk and often need a friend and that's your job!
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Frank Starsini Thank you for that excellent post !!
Self concept is destiny..
gregor
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of gregor
The seniors are receptive,
but the ladies do,sometimes, seam to act as tho they are watching their own grandchildrens doing it,somehow humoring me.
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
Some do, but most don't, just like everyone.

Lots of good points have been made: they may be out for a nice conversation, and 'we' are intruding, or they may have just gotten wine spilled on them by Frank's favorite sommelier. Smile

There are many reasons that the guests may not enjoy our company right then, and the vast majority have nothing to do with us. Some are fleeting, and the next time they may welcome you, and others may have met up with some of our less credible/less-professional brethren, and just don't want to take a chance at being conned again. Some... are just grumps (regardless of their age).

Apologize for the intrusion, and move on...

As a performer, I show all the guests at my tables respect, regardless of whether I am at a table of 80-somethings, or a bunch of teens out for fun; until they prove otherwise, they deserve it. While they are a guest of the restaurant, I am a guest at their table. Mostly I am targetting tables with families around them, but I hit the others when time allows.

I also have performed at a number of places catering to an age-enhanced crowd, and have found the audiences to be very receptive.

JM Smile Smile
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Alan Gold
View Profile
Regular user
Key West, FL
149 Posts

Profile of Alan Gold
Rsummer, wow, I could have written much of what you did. I know that one all too well. Though when they suggest a table of children, I gently mention that I am there for children....of ALL ages.

I agree with Eric that you must be polite and respectful, but I think that you should do that with ANY table you approach. Now, I can be a @#$%^!@#, but I reserve that for regulars who I banter with and people who make it clear that they are going to be a #$%$^&!@# with me. But your initial approach should ALWAYS be polite and respectful (yes, even to teenagers), and you should ALWAYS be willing to accept that they may decline your services. As a server, I found the best way to deal with people of all ages was to treat them all with respect. At one point at one restaurant I was the only one who could keep the teenagers in line (although I was only in my early twenties). Why? Because I was the only server that treated them like regular people, and so if I asked them to take it down a notch, they would. They returned the respect. Something to think about.

With that in mind, I have found the seniors to be some of the best audiences. Not always, of course, but sometimes. Now, some of them will just want to talk with you. And I talk to them. Some take greater enjoyment from watching you bring joy to their grandkids. And trust me, you do that and you have won those seniors over. And some truly do like to watch the magic and be amazed. But yes, there ARE some grumpy older folks out there who couldn't care less. (Generally they were the same way when younger, but that is another story.) Sometimes you can tell if they just want to be left alone, and it is in your best interest to do that.

One amusing thing I found when waiting tables....almost every single time, the older folks who were drinking alcohol were in FAR better moods than those who weren't. As a server, my favorite table to wait on was always the three sweet old ladies who were smoking cigarettes and drinking beer. Because they were having fun, no matter what. The ones drinking water and sharing small meals tended to be, well, not nearly so pleasant. I will let you folks ponder the meaning behind that. But ask any server you like about that, I promise you, they will agree that most of the time, this holds true. (As with everything, there are exceptions.)

:-)

Alan
Remember: Al G. is just another way to say pond scum.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
As an "old guy" looking back at this, I'm sorry this thread became inactive for so long. It has a lot of universal fit for entertainers.

I especially liked Frank's point. Often the difference between ages in audience and perfomer is the cultural and emotional development problem. Interrupting is simply rude and juvenile behavior to mature people. It is what juveniles do to all age groups and they mature out of it. (We hope!)

Mature adults don't have "meaningful" relationships with people they haven't met. Introductions come first! Then we can go on with the magic by permission or, even better, invitation. Watching another (uninvited) perform is not an obligation. It is a social favor. Magic appeals to all levels. Older people are the ones who pay for the highest priced seats in the place (even as gifts!). They make the rules. Recognition of that and who is really the employer solves a lot of these problems.
It is not even related to what age groups like or dislike magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sanderr
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thank you for the wisdom.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Every faction is unique.The approach to any group has to be customized on the fly.IMHO this is a major aspect of the ART of entertainment.

I can't tell you you how many times my stupid pre-judgement of a group has been proven inaccurate.(of course this was earlier in my career Smile).I have since learned that one of the greatest joy's of performing is...changing the unhappy dispositions of any group..to smiles and thanks.I know it sounds corny,but I thrive on such challenges.

Like it or not we are in the attitude adjustment business.If possible. Smile
Best.
Rich
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Excellent way of looking at things.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On 2004-02-11 08:04, Stuart Hooper wrote:
All my expierences with the people 40 and up have been great. Hmmm...for those of you who don't consider forty elderly, ....

:stout:

God almighty - you mean there ARE people (other than my three year-olds) who DO?!!
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Seniors hate watching magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL