The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ring tricks (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IsMagicReal
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of IsMagicReal
Hey guys I'm new here.
I'd like to ask you guys if you know any tricks I can do with my wedding ring.
thanks in advance,gunther.
Sackninja
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Sackninja
Hi and welcome to The Magic Café. I definitly reccomend that you check out some ring and string routines. I really like Ring Leader by Gregory Wilson. This also features another slghtly different ring trick that I love, stirring silver by Jay Sankey where you push the rings through a spoon. There are other great resources on ring and string routines but I only have Ring Leader.
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
481 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2015, IsMagicReal wrote:
Hey guys I'm new here.
I'd like to ask you guys if you know any tricks I can do with my wedding ring.
thanks in advance,gunther.

Don't lose it?

L & L offers a World's Greatest Magic DVD (Finger Rings) which has some really good tricks...you might want to start there.

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1419 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Pocketful of Miracles by Diamond Jim Tyler (DVD) has some interesting stuff on this.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have the diamond Jim DVD and agree, there should be something you can use there.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Maxy
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Maxy
Bob Millers "Relentless Ring and string"
Ollie
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Ollie
Ring thing DVD and Reflex are good.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Mark Leveridge's "Master Routines" includes a nice ring-and-string routine.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3386 Posts

Profile of Julie
Use YOUR ring as the weight on a Pendulum to discover a chosen card, as a lie detector or in a raft of other mentalism type effects.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend using it in a ring-on-string routine as this genre' of Magic is more powerful when you use a ring borrowed from an audience member.

Julie
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Something to consider.................

Ring tricks, generally, are more effective when done with a BORROWED ring.

Check out the works of GRISMER, NELSON, and CLIFTON!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8671 Posts

Profile of funsway
Julie is correct as to "borrowed" rather than "owned" in the perceptions of an audience, but other factors may override this consideration.

Depending on the audience any ring on string effect may be more powerful than any mental magic effect or effect with some other found object.

Using an old silver dollar can be framed as having special powers an so can a finger ring. For an engaged couple using your finger ring may have symbolic advantages if the chosen effect supports 'unity."

Also, using your own ring in a Mentalism effect may risk the dreaded "might be a trick" more thna using a borrowed ring for a conjuring effect.

They key is to always consider the perceptions and expectations of your "audience of the moment" -- and having a couple of ring effects mastered is great.

When the conditions are correct you are prepared whether using you own or a borrowed one. Knowing several is essential in case of a repeat audience.

Typically restrict your performance to just 2-3 such effect regardless -- saving other for another time.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I definitely agree with Funsway. Especially his last point about not "going past the end"! Keep the routines brief!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi, IsMagicReal! Welcome to the Café! On this:

Quote:
On Jul 9, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
Ring tricks, generally, are more effective when done with a BORROWED ring.

One has to be careful, VERY careful when borrowing a ring from somebody! Or a watch. Imagine being on a cruise ship, out on the deck, and doing RingFlight, and hearing the telltale "ting" of something going over the side...Your blood runs cold...when you realize just what that was...

This has happened. Plus the poor magi who dropped the spec's $6000 Rolex...hey, I'm just sayin'. There are some VERY expensive rings out there! LOL!

Doug
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
If you're good with your fingers and are willing to put a few months of practice into it, you might consider learning ring manipulation, like the moves on the "De'Ring" video by Devo. I have the DVD and it looks great, but it also looks like it's going to take some serious work to master.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
I can't help but second the suggestion of Wilson's Ring Leader...though the stuff of mine he did on it was the only decent material (Greg's not going to read this, is he?).

And Dick Oslund's recommendation is an excellent one because their ring work was great and shouldn't be ignored just because its older and not as well known now.

Speaking of Gregory Wilson, he just came out with a nice routine called "Bandwidth", where you stretch a borrowed ring like it is made of rubber….looks great (there, I made up for the earlier comment).
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I always wanted to get married with a pk ring but didn't want it to break. Just a thought.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ring tricks (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL