The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Doc Eason "Impossible Opener" Free (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Taking nothing away from Doc Eason or the effect -- I think it's great and would play well to a lay audience -- but to those concerned about it being given away for free, I would think anyone with some basic card knowledge could figure out the handling from watching the performance.
I know I did, and that's not saying much, so surely others can? Smile
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
I don't think that's what concerned anyone. It's about more people becoming aware of its existence and starting to perform it. Half of me wants to share these great effects, and half of me wants to keep the ones I like best as underground as possible.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
For me its letting people know that this type of material is on every issue of reel magic. And that for that $5 you get every issue plus tons of other content....
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:
Taking nothing away from Doc Eason or the effect -- I think it's great and would play well to a lay audience -- but to those concerned about it being given away for free, I would think anyone with some basic card knowledge could figure out the handling from watching the performance.
I know I did, and that's not saying much, so surely others can? Smile
Yeah, but Kozmo is going to send a Joker deck to all of the winners.
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Um no Smile
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On May 2, 2015, sgtgrey wrote:
I don't think that's what concerned anyone. It's about more people becoming aware of its existence and starting to perform it. Half of me wants to share these great effects, and half of me wants to keep the ones I like best as underground as possible.

Tell that to Doc Eason then. It's his to share as he pleases.
The talk of "underground" is complete cobblers.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Ah Ray, you're missing the point. Doc can do with it as he pleases, and I'm happy this is getting attention, because a good piece of magic is being rediscovered by many who either have forgotten or never knew it to begin with. That's good for the art. But there's also a part of me that wants to jealously guard the tricks I really like to selfishly keep them for myself or just the few that remember it (ie hidden gems staying hidden/underground/whatever term you'd like to use - I'm not into semantics here).
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Nice trick. Very nice. The first time I oerformed it, though, something struck me. The reveal of all jokers at the end is completely superfluous from an impossibility/magical point of view. It is no more impossible than if it had been a regular deck (see also Dave forrests's "Loxley"). Just sayin'...
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
429 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
Well Ross.. all I can say is "try it" .. both ways.. the impact of a deck of all the same (but contrasting) cards is stronger than a real deck.. Just try it.. I have been doing the trick for 30+ years and have thousands of performances logged.. with all different variations.. the 'bugging out of the eyes' from seeing all cards are the same is much stronger than the 'puzzling' aspect of the regular deck.. but don't take my word for it.. try it.. and ... as I have stated before.. the 'all blank deck' is stronger than the regular deck reveal but not as strong as the all joker deck .. .but again.. your mileage may vary..
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On May 5, 2015, Doc Eason wrote:
Well Ross.. all I can say is "try it" .. both ways.. the impact of a deck of all the same (but contrasting) cards is stronger than a real deck.. Just try it.. I have been doing the trick for 30+ years and have thousands of performances logged.. with all different variations.. the 'bugging out of the eyes' from seeing all cards are the same is much stronger than the 'puzzling' aspect of the regular deck.. but don't take my word for it.. try it.. and ... as I have stated before.. the 'all blank deck' is stronger than the regular deck reveal but not as strong as the all joker deck .. .but again.. your mileage may vary..

I can confirm it IS effective, I HAVE tried it! My comment was intended to draw our attention to what might be called the trick's "discrepancy": funny how illogical things like the all-joker deck can make a trick *seem* more magical when really it isn't.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Gorecki
View Profile
Loyal user
My servante is currently filled with
268 Posts

Profile of Gorecki
Indeed, the trick is no more impossible with an all-the-same deck. After all, there's just one Ace of Hearts (or whatever card you choose) in a regular deck, anyway.
But the added finale adds a magical wrinkle on top, even at a subliminal level: it makes it plain, without a doubt, that the magician KNEW the Ace of Hearts would be chosen. In other words, it completely shuts out the possibility of a switch (of the red card) to accommodate the card the spectactor chooses.
(That doesn't make sense to us magicians, but I'm always surprised at what the laymen think we are capable of...)
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I've always done the trick with a deck of all Jacks of Hearts. I did it a few times with an all-blank deck. I could never find a deck of all jokers, although that in my opinion would be the coolest. It's the fact that they are all the same that's important.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On May 5, 2015, Ray Haining wrote:
I've always done the trick with a deck of all Jacks of Hearts. I did it a few times with an all-blank deck. I could never find a deck of all jokers, although that in my opinion would be the coolest. It's the fact that they are all the same that's important.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/search.php?q=one+way+

scroll about 1/3 down, both red and blue backed B&W Jokers are available. Color Jokers are currently out of stock but I got one a few months ago. They are expected to be back in stock in mid August if you must have the color Jokers.

In Phoenix Brand you can get Joker also http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=......rtID=115 but you don't get to pick exact cards otherwise, just within groups. (red/black A-10 or red/black court).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Poof-Daddy, thanks for that information. It's also good to know that you can get forcing decks with specific cards. I didn't know that. Penguin is a great resource.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Doc Eason "Impossible Opener" Free (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL