The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What's the deal with our food anyway? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
[quote]On Apr 27, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
You omnivores got it rough. /quote]
All humans are omnivores.

Lobo, of course, meant practicing omnivores.

No need to qualify. "An animal that eats both plants and other animals." Heck, that doesn't even apply to vegetarians, let alone vegans!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
You omnivores got it rough.

All humans are omnivores.

Lobo, of course, meant practicing omnivores.

"An animal that eats both plants and other animals."

So . . . cannibals who also eat veg don't qualify?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'd interpret that as including cannibals unless they're strictly self-consuming.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I'd interpret that as including cannibals unless they're strictly self-consuming.

I'd interpret it as meaning other species. Surely you don't think that the word "other" was included in the definition to exclude autophagia.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think it was merely redundant. It makes about as much sense to me as the notion that it was carefully intended to exclude animals that eat others of their species, but no other animal species.

I may be viewing it through my legal lens. It's a canon of statutory interpretation that you attempt to discern intent only when the plain meaning of the language is ambiguous. Here, I think it's unambiguous - it says "other animals" not "other species of animals," so my inclination is not to bother trying to figure out which of two bizarre situations they were attempting to reference. Especially since my instinct is that "typical linguistic redundancy" is much more likely than either conscious choice.

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
If a tiger is starving, does it cease to be a carnivore?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
If a tiger eats only plants and other tigers, is it an herbivore?

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Indeed, that is the question.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
If a tiger is starving, does it cease to be a carnivore?

over time one could say that it in the singular changes fron animal to part-vegatable then mineral
...to all the coins I've dropped here
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
See?
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:
Maybe someone can educate me. What the heck happened to our production of food that some of it is so loaded with chemicals? How did we get to that point anyway?

It seems strange to me.

Interesting article at the link that at least partially answers your question.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food......4151856/

(The really short summary is that flavour is no longer the main consideration in modern times when it comes to raising animals and growing vegetables ... so chemicals are added to bland foods to make them taste good.)

Two things I found especially interesting:

"Back in 1870, a 100-gram (31/2-ounce) piece of chicken contained just under 4 grams of fat. By 1970, that number had risen to 8.6 grams, and by 2004 chicken was packing more than 20 grams."

and

"The food problem is a flavour problem. For half a century, we've been making the stuff people should eat - fruits, vegetables, whole grains, unprocessed meats - incrementally less delicious. Meanwhile, we’ve been making the food people shouldn’t eat - chips, fast food, soft drinks, crackers - taste ever more exciting. The result is exactly what you'd expect."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Thanks for sharing that! It makes a lot of sense really. I have many friends from Africa, north and south, refugees from Eritrea and Burundi, Chad, Congo, etc. They all say the same thing, that the meat in America doesn't taste good, that it is too bland.

And my good friend from Eritrea who used to be skinny as a rail is starting to pack on pounds drinking sodas and eating processed foods.

This makes me want to start raising chickens and gardening.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
The bit about fat in chicken has me puzzled, though. I have some skinless chicken breasts in my freezer and they claim to contain 3g of fat per 100g.

I suppose the article may be talking about chicken overall (i.e. all parts), including the skin.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

That makes sense. Either that or they're testing only the dark meat.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6956 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Chicken, beef and pork taste different in Germany than America's. That I know.

Doug
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2015, Dougini wrote:

Chicken, beef and pork taste different in Germany than America's. That I know.

Doug

Most likely because they raise different breeds of Cows, chickens and pigs than we do in the States. They also probably don't force feed them corn to fatten them up before slaughter.

http://www.germanlivestock.de/
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What's the deal with our food anyway? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL