The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Wallets (the no-palm type!) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicpirate82
View Profile
New user
Bay area, Northern California
68 Posts

Profile of magicpirate82
Thanks for the GREAT post/review. I've been thinking about a "card-to-wallet" for a while now and this is the first useful discussion I've run across. Will make my decision easier. Thanks again.
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
247 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
If you need another vote, the Mullica wallet is great. The Burger routine can be found on his independently produced close-up video (can't remember the name). I think that its in his big book - Mastering the Art of Magic.

Sorry, but they say that as you get older, memory is the second thing to fail. Unfortunately, I can't remember the first. Smile
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
IanB
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby
208 Posts

Profile of IanB
Mumblepeas review is excellent !!

Unfortunately no-one has mentioned what I consider to be the best "No Palm" card to wallet around.

Peter Scarlett's "Pimpernel Wallet". I have used this for many years now and I never leave it out of my commercial performances.

I was runner-up in the British Magical Close-Up Championships last year at the Blackpool Convention in England and on the strength of people seeing it there, it boosted Peter's sales, that weekend, by a considerable amount.

I do not believe there is a stronger "No Palm" wallet. Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4395 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
I do not believe there is a stronger "No Palm" wallet.

Well there was the Bendix Bombshell, but these larger wallets ARE becoming less popular now people dress more casual.

Paul.
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Burgers handling of the Mullica wallet is found on his video "Gourmet Close-Up". It's a great handling. I use it all the time.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
IanB
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby
208 Posts

Profile of IanB
Paul

As I said .....
"I do not believe there is a stronger "No Palm" wallet".

The Bendix Bombshell is good, but not as good as the "Pimpernel". (My opinion of course).

Smile
DaveB
View Profile
New user
Toronto
83 Posts

Profile of DaveB
Although I am very late in replying to this thread, I just wanted to thank mumblepeas for the excellent review on wallets. I presently own a Kaps/Balducci style wallet with a locking Mullica insert and I am very happy with it. Since I usually wear a jacket I don't really mind the larger size, (and it does have room to keep a few tricks inside) but I wouldn't mind something smaller for when it gets a little warmer. So it looks like I'll be in the market for a smaller wallet very soon.
Thanks again for the review, I'm sure it will help a lot of people out.
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Hello everyone

Everyone is talking about the perfect wallet and this stile and this size. I have been wanting to get a wallet for a long time but there is so many options out there i just want to scream. Could some one tell me where to get a wallet that fits in your back pocket, and can get a card into an envelope, and can be used for normal daily use. If there is such a wallet could someone tell me. Thank you so much everyone.

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I'd like to voice additional support for "Celebrity Autgraphs". First, you can take the gimmick out of the included wallet and put it into your own everday wallet. Second, the psychology is 100 times stronger than any other card to wallet because, when done properly, they don't anticipate the card being in your wallet, even as you're flipping through the wallet!

It's even strong enough that you can preceed it with almost any other card to wallet, and "Celebrity Autgraphs" will still create a surprise when the card is removed from the wallet!

I like the method, as well - it's sort of a self-working Mullica idea. Simple methods mixed with powerful, effective psychology make up many of my favorite effects.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Magicbrad,
No need to scream; as far as I'm concerned, gimmicked wallets fall into two categories: Too expensive, and way too expensive.
For use with your own wallet or any wallet you want (size doesn't matter) may I suggest my own Anytime Card in Wallet.
No palming; the card can be signed; no special wallet; dead easy.
Hey, I should be SELLING this thing.
Actually, I'm giving it away, since it appeared in one of my One-Man Parades in the Linking Ring magazine back in 1985!
Anyone interested, e-mail me and I'll send it to you.
If, after that, you still want to blow a bundle on an overpriced wallet, well, that's your business!
Mickey Cohen
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Mickey Cohen
Also on Eugene Burger's video "Gourmet Close-Up Magic " David Parr explains a great kicker effect to use with the Mullica Wallet.It can also be found in his book "Brain Food" on page 53. Smile
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
552 Posts

Profile of debaser
I've always loved the wallet effect by Ed Brown that was featured in, I think, Volume 3 of the Kabala. It uses a Himber style wallet and is incredibly smart in its handling. While I would still rather do a palm to wallet, as far as palmless go I think Brown's is the best.

Matt
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4861 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I'll stick with my Bendix Bombshell. It never fails to amaze.
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of 1908
I used to use a lot of gimmicked wallets to perform signed card to wallet which is a very strong effect in my opinion, but after a lot of years spending a lot of money in wallets, I found out that a very simple method with my own wallet was the best--just using a special friend of many card magicians: a d*****-***k card which I carry always in my wallet!
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
snilsson
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
186 Posts

Profile of snilsson
In the Mullica Card to Wallet effect you may replace the inner wallet with an appropriately constructed gaffed envelope (those who are familiar with the Mullica wallet will know how to do this). In my opinion this is more natural. A wallet within a wallet has a distinct smell of trickery to it.

By the way, feel free to use this idea. No payments, contracts, patents or other legal documents are required. Smile
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
552 Posts

Profile of debaser
It is my understanding that Steve Bendix more or less appropriated his original routine from the Ed Brown Routine (according to Racherbaumer).

Matt
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2002-09-12 23:55, Peter Marucci wrote:
Magicbrad,
No need to scream; as far as I'm concerned, gimmicked wallets fall into two categories: Too expensive, and way too expensive.
For use with your own wallet or any wallet you want (size doesn't matter) may I suggest my own Anytime Card in Wallet.
No palming; the card can be signed; no special wallet; dead easy.
Hey, I should be SELLING this thing.
Actually, I'm giving it away, since it appeared in one of my One-Man Parades in the Linking Ring magazine back in 1985!
Anyone interested, e-mail me and I'll send it to you.
If, after that, you still want to blow a bundle on an overpriced wallet, well, that's your business!

Peter, I'm a card to wallet freak and I'm interested in your version.

Best,
Chris

Quote:
On 2002-09-12 21:09, Scott Cram wrote:
I'd like to voice additional support for "Celebrity Autgraphs". First, you can take the gimmick out of the included wallet and put it into your own everday wallet. Second, the psychology is 100 times stronger than any other card to wallet because, when done properly, they don't anticipate the card being in your wallet, even as you're flipping through the wallet!

It's even strong enough that you can preceed it with almost any other card to wallet, and "Celebrity Autgraphs" will still create a surprise when the card is removed from the wallet!

I like the method, as well - it's sort of a self-working Mullica idea. Simple methods mixed with powerful, effective psychology make up many of my favorite effects.

Scott,

I had this and didn't keep it. I didn't think of moving the gimmick into my regular wallet. How can this be done?

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Great review post!

I have quite a few wallets, and I've noticed that nearly all of them come with "no palm" routines. I get the feeling that the reason they all have no-palm instructions is because there are a lot of magicians who are afraid of palming -- and would be afraid to buy the wallet otherwise. My Expert Card to Wallet, for example, is a wallet that was perfectly suited for palming, but it had its no-palm method in the booklet, seemingly as an afterthought.

I have plenty of palming wallets, so I was pleased with my Celebrity Autographs wallet because the routine itself was meant to be no palm. Am I to assume that all the other wallets (aside from the Simplex) are also built for no palm?

Thanks for any info,
Bill
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
377 Posts

Profile of oagwood
Chris,

You could have kept the gimmicked portion in your pocket without the wallet if you wanted to for the Celbrity Autographs. When doing so, you just pull it out and proceed as described in the instructions.

oliver
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5352 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The gimmick can also be placed in almost any billfold like wallet (the jumbo hair pin holds it in place) and can be worked just as in the original routine.

The first thing I did when I got this nice little prop was to move the workings into my billfold (the Viking Simplex double load wallet). Then I had the options of three tricks. Celebrity Autographs, regular Card to Wallet (zippered compartment), and Double card to wallet (one at a time to zippered compartment).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Wallets (the no-palm type!) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL