The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Review: Fearson's Thread Bullets (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
I was recently in a discussion here on the Café where somebody was reviewing Steve Fearson's Master Levitation System. I bought a much older version of the Levitation System years ago, and was very happy with it. I used to use IT all the time, but I took a hiatus from magic for a few years, and never picked it back up when I started again. The main reasons I avoided it were that it was too awkward for me to carry around something like the floating cigarette, it was too time consuming to strip the thread, and I couldn't find the right thread to fit my needs…stuff that was actually invisible was too fragile, and stuff that was strong enough was way too visible in the wrong lighting conditions. Since then, I have discovered Steve's Thread Bullets and some of his higher end thread, and I have started using IT again.

BULLETS

The Bullets themselves are a very clever idea. It is a simple system, but it does everything they say it does in the ad copy. 40 feet of thread, locking system, and the bullets can easily be used to refill other reels. The best part for me is that these don't require any stripping of the thread. I can always have one of these ready to go, and just pick it up if I think I might want to do an IT effect. They take up a tiny amount of pocket space, so if I get somewhere and decide I don't want to use it, no big deal. You don't need to have an elaborate hook up, so it's not like you have to be walking around completely "prepared" to perform. Lastly, at 10.00 a piece, these are affordable for anybody. Also, they can last a really long time if you take care of them. Overall, I give the bullets themselves a 10/10.

INSTRUCTION

When you get order one of these, you get access to an instructional video where Steve himself teaches you how to use the system. He goes over everything, and leaves no questions unanswered. He also provides a great hookup and other cool ideas as well. Instruction is via a link, and can be streamed online. 10/10 on instruction.

VIRTUOSO:

When I ordered these, I tried two different kinds of thread. I wanted to start doing the floating cigarette again, and figured I would try the original Vectra and Virtuoso. The idea was I wanted to find the most invisible IT that would still allow me to do the effect properly. The first one I tried was the Virtuoso. As Steve mentions, this would be considered an "expert" grade thread. In other words, it's pretty sensitive stuff. My main problem was actually being able to see it well enough to do the prep work. I have pretty good vision, but Virtuoso really is pretty much invisible. This will be an issue if you have any sort of vision problems. Additionally, it wasn't the easiest thing to tie either, but this most likely just takes some getting used to. I haven't used this stuff outside of practice yet, but I will eventually. It's worth the effort of getting used to simply because you will KNOW that nobody is going to see it. Anyone who has confidence issues with IT work will appreciate this stuff. 9/10 for the Virtuoso, but just because it can be difficult to work with.

VECTRA:

I also tried the Vectra for the same effect, and had a much easier time. It's still very invisible, but a little thicker and easier to deal with all around. It can support much heavier objects, which is the main tradeoff for it being not quite as difficult to see. For anyone who is just starting out, this would be the thread I would choose. I didn't try the John Haar thread in the bullets, so that might also be a good choice. 10/10 for the Vectra.

Overall, I would say that the Thread Bullets are one of my favourite things yet from Steve Fearson. The quality and convenience really sold me on these things. Give them a try and you won't be disappointed.

You can get them at www.emagicsupply.com with free shipping.
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Spot ON! The John Haar, is just regular blue woolley. Cheaper to buy the 1000m roll for $5. But Vectra...yeah. Best IT I have! I gotta get a bullet of Virtuoso. Haven't tried that yet. I have bad vision. JoeJoe gives ya tips on that.

Vectra X2 (for stage) is surprisingly invisible! Dead black! And, ya don't have to strip it. Not as strong as Sulky "smoke" mono, but NO shine! This IS the best. No question.

Doug
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Allen, I wonder who is the more voracious "Dawn of the Dead" fan - you or me? Smile

First ballots go to you due to your Café sig (one of the best lines in any movie) and avatar! Love it!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2015, Chessmann wrote:
Allen, I wonder who is the more voracious "Dawn of the Dead" fan - you or me? Smile

First ballots go to you due to your Café sig (one of the best lines in any movie) and avatar! Love it!

Haha thank you. If you ever want to talk about DOTD..especially about collectables or the soundtrack…drop me a PM!
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Review: Fearson's Thread Bullets (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL