The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bill Palmer Wisdom & the Police (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
With all the stuff about police violence recently, it reminded me of the first steps I took in learning how to handle myself when pulled over (or god forbid, something worse! Smile ).

This morning I was trying to remember a post I read a few years back (circa 2005!) that was made by Bill Palmer, who found himself in a car with a couple of friends when approached by the police.

Obviously, this is not a cure-all or guarantee, nor is it a statement that there are no bad apples in the police. But I did read it to my daughters to give them something to think about as they approached 16.

Here's the post:

(starting in reply to someone else)

That is exactly the way to handle these things. You were calm, polite and honest.

Some years back, when I was working at New Vaudeville Pizza House, I gave the fellow who was my juggler and his roommate a ride back home. One of my headlights was out, due to a minor traffic problem, and I hadn't had an opportunity to replace it.

I got pulled over right in front of their apartment. One of the guys said, "Look, it's the pigs! They are going to bust heads."

I said, "Don't say a word. Let me do the talking."

The policeman approached. He asked to see my driver's license, which I gave him. He asked, "Do you realize that you have a headlight out?"

"Yes, officer. It just went out earlier this evening. Mike and I work at the New Vaudeville Pizza House on Hughes Road. Bob, here, is his roommate. When we got off work, we couldn't find a place to purchase a replacement, but I will take care of it tomorrow morning, first thing."

He said, "Okay. I won't even give you a warning. Just make sure you take care of it. Drive safely." And he left.

So Mike and Bob, who were both semi-longhaired, were completely puzzled. "How did you do that?"

"Easy. They are human beings. You treat them politely and they will do the same."

Well, most of the time, anyway Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
There is a twitter hashtag for that, seriously. (You can look it up on twitter.)

#CrimingWhileWhite

Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Ah, didn't realize the above just worked for honkeys only Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2015, Chessmann wrote:
Ah, didn't realize the above just worked for honkeys only Smile

Doesn't hoyt!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bill Palmer Wisdom & the Police (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL