The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stupid Question (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
990 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Not that different from the gas in your car.
Bob
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2015, randirain wrote:
Carbs are sugar.

Sugars are carbohydrates.

Not all carbohydrates are sugars.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
I say carbs are sugars because all forms of carbs metabolize into the same thing in your body.

From the Harvard website...

Carbohydrates are found in a wide array of both healthy and unhealthy foods—bread, beans, milk, popcorn, potatoes, cookies, spaghetti, soft drinks, corn, and cherry pie. They also come in a variety of forms. The most common and abundant forms are sugars, fibers, and starches.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Physics 101 - Converting potential to kinetic energy. Compare the size (volume and weight) of a woodpile to the size of the ashes left over in the fireplace.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
990 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
It's also worth while to note that body fat is not all the same. The concern from a health perspective is the visceral fat that accumulates around the belly, which is believed to increase the risk of heart attacks and diabetes.
Bob
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I'm constantly amazed by the certainty behind so many of our convictions.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
990 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
My comments come from working for a company that conducted diabetes and triglyceride research. As I am not a scientist, I cannot say that I'm relaying this 100% accurately, just conveying my general understanding of the issues concerning carbs and body fat.
Bob
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2015, Intrepid wrote:
Some is burned as energy the rest gets converted into waste materiel.

Energy doesn't have mass.

Energy does not have mass, but mass can be converted to energy. E=mc^2
Reality is a real killjoy.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2015, ZachDavenport wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm guessing that landmark doesn't move quite that fast.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
We can't make assumptions.
Reality is a real killjoy.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16264 Posts

Profile of tommy
Into the earth.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Well, I found those articles pretty amazing anyway. Time to go store some more potential Co2.

Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm guessing that landmark doesn't move quite that fast.

Only when backpedaling?
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1217 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
We can't make assumptions.

We can. We do. We shouldn't.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Why look, I found an article on this very question.

Quote:
While a small amount of fat is excreted in urine and sweat as part of the metabolic process over time, most of it is actually exhaled, Woods said.

"As we exercise, we inhale large amounts of oxygen which is metabolized, and it mixes with our blood and it's exhaled as a respiratory gas," he said.

"In layman's terms, the fat mass is actually breathed out of your body as carbon dioxide."

This metabolic process can make fat cells smaller, but will not eliminate them completely, he added.

Woods also has some suggestions about the best ways to cash in on your breathing out:
■First, get mobile; a fit person is better able to work out intensely.
■High-intensity interval training where you get very little rest and there's a high demand for oxygen is best.
■"You're going to end up expiring lots of that carbon dioxide which is more responsible for eating up or reducing that body fat," Woods said.

And while longer duration training like walking or running is still good, it does not require the same degree of oxygen — so less fat is exhaled. To up the ante, add some sprints to your longer workouts, Woods advised.

Much to the displeasure of many, Woods said it is not possible to choose where the fat comes off. With diet and exercise, fat will eventually reduce across the entire body via blood circulation and expired gases.

The change will be notable first in areas that had less to lose in the first place — like your face or neck.

Common problem areas like stomachs, where there are more fat cells, will see the change last, Woods said.

Regardless of whether your plan is to tighten your cheeks or slim everything down, Woods said the approach is the same: "It all starts in the kitchen. You cannot out-exercise a bad diet."

According to Woods, a good diet starts with plenty of vegetables and high-quality proteins.

In short, we were all wrong.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
It's times like this that I feel my microphone isn't on. Smile Smile
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On May 5, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
... "It all starts in the kitchen. You cannot out-exercise a bad diet."...

Hey, I think the guy just quoted me!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2015, landmark wrote:
But that's my point--where did the 40 lbs go? Did you just pee and poop it out? There has to be some waste product from the elimination of the fat doesn't there?

You didn't "eliminate" the fat, you burned it off as energy.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2015, landmark wrote:
I'm on a diet. I lost about seven pounds in the last two weeks. Where did it go? Seriously.

It has gone away.

Keep it that way, that's all that matters. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Heat too.

Yes, several have said energy, because our bodies requires a certain amount of calories for general functions, this is known as BMR, or Basal Metabolic Rate. This breaks down to each basic body function, and even your resting brain uses energy. Our bodies excrete waste as previously mentioned by typical waste material, liquid and solid. However, we also perspire, expire, and even just our body heat from combining food with oxygen to release the energy your body needs to function is a form of waste energy. If your diet change involves reduced calories (less than your BMR needs), your body will burn something else like fat and muscle, which creates all those forms of waste.

Of course, everyone's BMR will vary depending on your current metabolic rate. As example, this website http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamesk2.htm said I need an average of 2113 calories just for resting, but I've had it measured before and the actual amount was about 2880 calories, just to maintain my weight. Since I am active, I need more calories than that. To gain weight, I would need to eat even more more. To drop weight, I would need to eat less.

As far as your 7 pounds, it also depends on when (time of day) you weighed yourself. Did you drink anything before weighing? before starting the diet and 2 weeks after? What about food that was in your belly before and 2 weeks after? This site even says you weigh less in the morning, even before going to the bathroom, due to carbon and water exhaled. http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/0......t-reason

For comparison:
A gallon of water weighs about 8.34 pounds, which means a 16oz glass of water weighs about 1.04 pounds. According to http://www.thenutritiondr.com/daily-body-water-losses/ we sweat about 2 to 3 liters daily, which is about 0.9 to 1.4 pounds.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, so I might not have all the correct technical terms for things, but I believe the basic ideas are correct.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stupid Question (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL