The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stupid Question (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
This thread just goes to show that there really are no "stupid questions", as the answers here have been surprising enlightening and informative.
Bob
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I'm constantly amazed by the certainty behind so many of our convictions.

You said a mouthful!!! Which is why I am HIGHLY suspect of politicians who make law based upon pop science with a short track record.

This is an interesting topic. You folks are too smart for me. I always figured it's being converted to energy, plain and simple. In the end, as long as it's going somewhere I'm not all that concerned.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On May 9, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I'm constantly amazed by the certainty behind so many of our convictions.

You said a mouthful!!! Which is why I am HIGHLY suspect of politicians who make law based upon pop science with a short track record.

What laws are you referring to? It seems to me that the politicians worthy of suspicion are those who seek to ignore science to assuage their political benefactors and to pander to an uneducated base without regard to facts or evidence.

Having people sitting on a science committee who don't accept basic tenets of science is mind boggling. And yet that's exactly what's happening. From one side of their mouth they will admit, "I'm not a scientist," while from the other they will argue that science they don't agree with is "pop science." All without knowing what science is.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I dunno. Maybe back in college a politician read that homosexuality was a mental illness so decided to ban gay marriage, only to find that science changed its mind.

But how about we bring this back to weight loss?
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Science didn't change its mind, scientist did after getting death threats.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On May 9, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
It seems to me that the politicians worthy of suspicion are those who seek to ignore science to assuage their political benefactors and to pander to an uneducated base without regard to facts or evidence.
managers.

Much in the same way politicians of both parties willfully ignore economic science and the advice of their own economist in favor of the advice of their campaign managers. I'm specifically thinking here of a series NPR ran a few years back on this problem.
Bob
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
So I was right.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
There is a part nobody is mentioning that I have seen.

Dieting is also about what you put in. Everyone is on a diet. It just may be a bad one. Your specific diet will help maintain that shape along with generic factors and activity.

Like Polar Bears who do it on purpose our Bobby stores energy in different ways. Burn that every and it is no longer stored. Don't replace it and it goes away for good. Your body feeds off the energy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
"Everything you need to know about fat, including an explanation of which is worse -- belly fat or thigh fat."
http://www.webmd.com/diet/the-truth-about-fat
Bob
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
The other day, two friends of my daughter went to what they call boot camp. It worked for them really dramatically and quickly. I don’t think I have seen such a change. They about 23 and have always were chubby all their life. I am not sure what diet they are on but it has really given them the fitness bug. It is good if can find some new sport and are keen on it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Pick up an Atkins Diet book. The body burns carbs first. Low carb diet makes the body burn fat as stated earlier when no carbs are ingested. That is why one can eat as much as one wants on Atkins as long as it has no carbs. Your body goes into ketosis (spelling) burns off fat instead of carbs. Eat all the meat you want along with many other things that will amaze you. Protein good...carbs bad. However stay away from carbs. If it has carbs it is not on the Atkins diet.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
But it's not truly "eat as much as one wants". Still, calories in must be less than calories burned. I've seen plenty of people on Atkins and not lose anything because they got heaping plates of bacon and eggs and gravy, etc... Still must limit portions and increase activity. I always recommend some type of weight lifting. Muscles are like engines, if you build a bigger engine, then you'll burn more fuel. Build bigger muscles: burn more fat.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On May 11, 2015, TomKMagic wrote:
But it's not truly "eat as much as one wants". Still, calories in must be less than calories burned. I've seen plenty of people on Atkins and not lose anything because they got heaping plates of bacon and eggs and gravy, etc... Still must limit portions and increase activity. I always recommend some type of weight lifting. Muscles are like engines, if you build a bigger engine, then you'll burn more fuel. Build bigger muscles: burn more fat.

A yes it is. Eat until you are full which equates to eating as much as you want. In the initial part of Atkins which is called the induction diet you are limited to 20 carbs a day. Eat until you are satisfied of the no carb foods. The body has no choice but to burn fat. As I stated earlier the body goes into a state of Ketosis.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On May 12, 2015, acesover wrote:
A yes it is. Eat until you are full which equates to eating as much as you want. In the initial part of Atkins which is called the induction diet you are limited to 20 carbs a day. Eat until you are satisfied of the no carb foods. The body has no choice but to burn fat. As I stated earlier the body goes into a state of Ketosis.

Does the Atkin diet distinguishes between healthy carbs and other carbs?
Bob
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On May 12, 2015, Intrepid wrote:
Quote:

I'm afraid to ask. Ok. What's the difference between "healthy carbs" and the others?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
Quote:

Not that I recall. I remember it just saying carbs.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On May 12, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm afraid to ask. Ok. What's the difference between "healthy carbs" and the others?

Ha, ha...I am not sure either? I am going to venture to say that the ones that are good for you are the healthy ones and the ones that are not god for you are the unhealthy ones...obviously I don't know. Smile That answer sounds like a politician.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
Quote:
On May 12, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ha, ha...I am not sure either? I am going to venture to say that the ones that are good for you are the healthy ones and the ones that are not god for you are the unhealthy ones...obviously I don't know. Smile That answer sounds like a politician.

I suspect the distinction (if there is one) is in the food surrounding the carb. Better to eat carbs that are contained in, say, whole grains than in soda crackers. Can't imagine that the carb itself is different, but the other stuff you get with it matters quite a bit. Just a guess.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I heard that people experience bad breath when on Atkins. IDK if that's true, it's just anecdotal.

I also am not sure that "you can't out exercise a bad diet." I know almost nothing about nutrition, but we all knew muscular, athletic guys in high school or college that had horrible diets! I remember guys at the gym who used to eat boxes of Twinkies and looked like Greek statues. They obviously had a young man's metabolism and were able to "out exercise" a bad diet.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
The carbs are different. Healthy carbs are more complex in their molecular structure, and therefore have more in them theat helps the body. Also, They take longer to covert to sugar, and that makes you feel full longer.
Reality is a real killjoy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stupid Question (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL