We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kyle Marlett At The Table 5/6 at 4pm PT / 7pm ET! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
johnra
View Profile
Elite user
oklahoma
448 Posts

Profile of johnra
I suppose I will be the first for a review!

First and foremost, I was very antsy to watch this lecture, I bought the subscription for this month through Penguin Magic so I as well experienced the delay, also there was an extra file Kyle mentioned that has not yet been added to my download section. needless to say I just watched the whole thing and I am incredibly pleased.

Several of the effects are situational, some of the effects you could do just about anywhere and others are basically stage or parlour items.

I really enjoyed all of the material taught and the thought behind them, While my brain is still digesting everything I will do my best to give my thoughts on specific items.

Draw Straws - This was the opening effect, a very quirky opening routine where you pull an actual straw out of a drawing of a cup with a straw in it. I like this effect a lot, it is very quick and surprising.

Next I believe was the sugar effect where a packet of sugar seemed to swell up and then revealed that all the sugar is now formed into a sugar cube. Great thinking behind this one and could be epic in the right situation. It is not something you can do all the time off the cuff, however it is something you can do once prepared and fool the heck out of people.

Next up is the animal cracker prediction - This one is very interesting and again somewhat situational, but would be a nice piece in maybe a living room performance where an animal cracker is selected from a box of you guessed it... animal crackers, which is then revealed. Not exactly my idea of a prediction but a nice quirky piece of mentalism. I think this one has a ton of possibilities.

Next is the stir stick prediction - Now this effect a prediction is made on a coffee stir stick and shown to be wrong and then visually changed into the correct item. I am honestly not sure how I feel about this one, I think it is an interesting idea but not completely thought out yet.

Vanishing Banana - This was a really cool idea causing a banana from a bunch to vanish. Again situational but beautiful, similar feel to the vanishing bottle.

Dollar to Toilet paper - This was one of my favorites of the whole lecture, it really connected with me considering I have been looking for a good way to end a paper balls over the head routine that would suit me, so seeing this sent my brain into cartwheels with ideas. the name is as it suggests, a signed dollar bill ends up in a roll of toilet paper. The routine taught is very funny you'll love it.

Coffee break - This has been taught a couple of places, it is the appearance of coffee from two coffee cups that have been previously shown empty. Great idea and effect. If you perform a lot in coffee shops you will get some great material out of this entire lecture as well as a boost from this routine!

Kyle then goes on to explain a way to get tips doing busking or walkaround magic that is killer. Worth well more than the price of the download itself, with lots of other insights along the way.

Next is the bill to lip balm effect- this is a great effect, I bought the 702 project a while ago which this is also featured on and still really enjoy the effect. Also, Calen Morelli has an effect from the 365 project along the same vein with a few added convincers if you would like to see it from another perspective. A bill is signed, vanished, and then appears in a chapstick container that was previously shown to be normal. You can't get much more organic than that.

Ring through table - There are TWO methods taught to vanish a spectators ring, one in which the ring goes through a table and the other more of a stage set-up where the ring vanishes as the a napkin is ripped to shreds and can be reproduced anywhere.

Next we have a playing card, bill transpo. The Gimmick is cool as all get out, easy to make and a definite fooler.

Nearing the end we have a method to mentally pop a balloon, the idea is really interesting and easy to construct.

Lastly we have Kyle's Bottle through Body, the Gimmick is really cool and the reactions are very obviously real and shocking. SO simple, SO deceptive. If you don't already know how it is done from another source it is definitely one of those why didn't I think of that moments.

All in all, you really can't go wrong with this lecture, so many neat ideas, I am sure I missed a few, plus I cannot possibly provide you with how insightful both Kyle and Greg Wilson are just from a simple review. To buy this lecture by itself is like $8 how can you go wrong?

John

Side note: Kyle is an awesome guy in general, very giving of his material and sharing his experiences. He is also very reachable for questions.
John Shackelford LIVE!!!
magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
Johnra....

I have to pretty much completely agree with your review of the lecture. I have only seen first half so far so good. Will review after I finish. I did get the PDF in my downloads. I have seen the toilet paper routine on his penguin lecture and have used it in my family shows ever sense. I really play it up with the plunger a kid a dad and I make it into a game. Tons of fun.
hpcman
View Profile
New user
NYC
91 Posts

Profile of hpcman
Dollar to Toilet paper - This was one of my favorites of the whole lecture, it really connected with me considering I have been looking for a good way to end a paper balls over the head routine that would suit me, so seeing this sent my brain into cartwheels with ideas. the name is as it suggests, a signed dollar bill ends up in a roll of toilet paper. The routine taught is very funny you'll love it.

Didn't see the lecture but sounds like Jeff Stewarts, On a Roll, a bill in toilet paper routine, from Tannen's Magic Manuscript from July/Aug 1987
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
This might be the best value for cost I've ever spent on magic. I got six effects I'll use for less than $8, two of which (the toilet paper and the bottle thru body) are flat out killers and a lot of other clever ideas. Fantastic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kyle Marlett At The Table 5/6 at 4pm PT / 7pm ET! (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL