The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Linking Rings Handling Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
A few months back I picked up a set of Linking Rings, and got hooked, and I am really enjoying them. I am only using an open key when practicing.

But here’s the problem, I find that when I am holding the Key Ring with it in a lower position in my hand, and I go to hook the Rings, I sometimes get the meaty part of the side of my hand just about an inch below my little finger pinched either between the Key itself, or where the two Rings come together. Of course it’s when I am hooking the two rings at a greater speed like a Crash Link, etc… Some of those pinches really smart.

Now here’s the question. I have watched several DVD’s on handling the Linking Rings, and this subject or warning has never come up in any of the videos. So am I holding the Ring incorrectly when doing a Crash Link, or is this just something that Linking Ring Performers just put up with?

Hope I described this well enough without telling too much about how the Rings function. Thank You...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Skyfire, I feel your pain. Been there done that. I have had the problem as well for a very long time. Finally, Shoot Ogawa did a lecture here and it is you hold is to deep. Believe it or not, just move the key ring down a little more, you may think it looks from your angle that is it visible, as it is from your line of site, but not from the audience line of sight. the fatty, creased parts of the base of the hand do cover it from the audiences line of sight.

Just move it down a little more, you will be surprised how it looks in a mirror or on video.

Also, from your post, I get that you may always be holding the key ring in the same position. For each different link you perform, they key may have to be moved forward and backward according to accomplishing the link and unlink you are attempting.

You are right also about it never being mentioned. Our professional magician here in town, when I asked him about hit, he did not know what I was talking about. So maybe it is just you and I have get the big ouch!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I've had it too but I instinctively moved the g** to the position Bill mentioned and it went away (mostly LOL).

You're not the only two I've heard mention it in person.

By the way, hitting it hard is not necessary. In a way you just want to use enough force to allow the rings to find their own way. It sounds a little metaphysical but mostly if you use less force you will feel more of what the objects are most naturally "wanting" to do from and inertial stand-point.

-Mary Mowder
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
When your right hand strikes down for the Crash Link, angle your right fist a bit up so that the k** will clear the bottom ring. You don't have to go fast as Mary suggests. The correct way to hold the rings for the Crash Link is in the Dai Vernon Book of Magic. A classic book that will repay a close reading of the text.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Just wait until you link to a ring held by a spectator and they let it go ...

lucky to not break a tooth and only knocked off my glasses.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Thanks for the warning funsway, I do this all the time but never knew to be carful.

-Mary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Linking Rings Handling Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL