The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Pocket management when strolling - Please advice!! (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
mixman
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Colorado
297 Posts

Profile of mixman
Had a large corporate banquet last night. they didn't have a regular standup cocktail hour. So it was all table hopping. And with 25 tables or so, I only had time for 1 or 2 effects per table. All I used the whole evening was Hopping half & Samoya (in my vest pocket), some robber bands around my wrist. A deck of cards in my left jacket pocket (Red hot Mama/Chicago opener into CTW), Don Alan mini chop cup in my right coat pocket, and a set of sponge balls in my trouser pockets. That was it. The applause from the first table made the rest of the evening a non stop blur.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4175 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
To answer your question about a good card effect. Stand Up Monte, learn it, love it. It's such a tight fit and strong routine it's worth a breast pocket for.


I always have the same problem, I have so many effects I just love to use that I carry a little heavy. This is what I'm going to with at a Cocktail Party setting.

To carry and put in the back for the end of the night: Crown royal bag with an Animal Trap.

Right inner jacket pocket: In A Flash deck
Left inner jacket pocket: Anniversary Waltz Cards/Sharpie
Left breast pocket: Stand Up Monte
Left Jacket Pocket: Omni Deck


Left Pocket: QB 3.0/1 Spongeball/Lighter (Warning! and for Torched and Restored.
Right Pocket: 1 Sponge ball
Right back pocket: Deck Case and Cards for Torched and Restored.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Montana,
here is a nice card effect that takes advantage of a cocktail walk around situation. Many times, at least one of the spectator's hands are occupied with a drink. Check out Simon Lovell's "The Famed Two Card and Glass Juggle". You can find it in Jim Sisti's "Magic Menu...The First Five Years" page 248. He, also, refers to it as "Fingered Number Two" which I believe is in "Simon Says".
I've had performed this for many years, and for some reason stopped doing it. I just happened to revisit it recently, and I was quite happy that it still gets great reactions.
Also, it requires very basic sleight of hand.
By the way, if you don't have all of the Magic Menus......stop reading now, and go buy them.
patrick
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On May 5, 2015, Montana76 wrote:
Thanks Christopher!
Can I ask you how your EB is set up? Bills to bills? Clippings to bills?
I find it really hard to construct the gimmick..


1s to 100s
In Mystery,


Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
Quote:
On May 4, 2015, patrick flanagan wrote:
Montana,
I've talked about this here before. It was common for me to do 25-32 different routines in a 3 hour shift. I had several (10) special pockets put into all my suits. Cost me an additional $100/suit. Why did I do that many routines? Because I could. I loved learning new things and figured if I can do it...I should. Then I got tired of spending the extra $$$ every time I bought a new suit and went with one of those holsters. I can't remember who made it, but I bought it used from a guy (in a yellow suit) here. I used that for more than a few years, but discarded it recently. Now, I just go with the suit as is. And, if something doesn't fit, I don't use it. If I add something new that requires more "pocket", then something else goes out or the new thing doesn't get added.
Another thing, I've never been a fan of having rubber bands on my wrists. I dunno, I think being dressed up in a suit and tie and wearing rubber bands on the wrist just looks badly. My opinion, only. When I was doing rubber band magic, I would conceal them in the cuffs of my rolled up sleeves. I work with my sleeves rolled up over the sleeve bottom of my jacket.
As far as the loads for the chop cup, I'd suggest getting ball holders. They pin on to the lining of your jacket and lay nicely...so no pocket needed. I carry a lime around in that manner. For the Jumbo Coin production, I slide mine under my belt. It is tight enough to stay there and easy to retrieve.
Finally, I always buy dress shirt that have a breast pocket. That helps tremendously.
Hope that helps
Patrick


Which ball holder do you recommend?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19520 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He means one you buy at the sporting goods store for tennis balls.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1419 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Would definitely look into something to help you carry all that if you can't trimmed it down
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
If you want to carry 3 sets...look into a nice, small case.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1336 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Dress pants have 4 to 5 pockets. My jackets all have 5 pockets. And one top pocket in my dress shirt. So I always have at least 10 pockets. One trick n each pocket. Plenty of magic to do walk around for hours.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19520 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The problem with clothes and pockets is that they are not often meant to have things in them, much less magic effects.

The jacket eventually looks silly hanging on you if it is weighted down with all sorts of things. Jacket pockets are sewn shut usually because in fact they are often intended to be decorative as having heavy things in them tends to break the lines of the jacket. I have seen MANY a magician show up at a table looking frumpy and rumpled because of being loaded down.

I only offer this as perspective and caution, not criticism. Just be aware of it is all I am offering.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4175 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I have found over the years that a nice messenger bag frees up a lot of pocket space. I have a COACH bag that fits all environments.
bretti_bln
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of bretti_bln
A simple small bag for up to three card decks and some other small things is the little camera bag (Nano V) for your belt from Manfrotto:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004PYC......F8&psc=1
For 12,99 Euro you cannot go wrong.
Pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxr5t4smudqg6c......JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bn8otphzi4drvi......JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8wptjtctxy6md......JPG?dl=0
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1336 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
The problem with clothes and pockets is that they are not often meant to have things in them, much less magic effects.

The jacket eventually looks silly hanging on you if it is weighted down with all sorts of things. Jacket pockets are sewn shut usually because in fact they are often intended to be decorative as having heavy things in them tends to break the lines of the jacket. I have seen MANY a magician show up at a table looking frumpy and rumpled because of being loaded down.

I only offer this as perspective and caution, not criticism. Just be aware of it is all I am offering.



I agree and that is a very important point. I agree 100% that appearances are everything. One way to avoid saggy suits is to dry clean often. I have a great dry cleaner that does my suits on site. A good quality suit will hold up to repeated dry cleaning. And then replace it when it looks bad.

And have SEVERAL jackets when you are doing daily shows. Wear a different jacket every day over the course of a daily trade show. It makes each one last a lot longer. Even if you can only get two suits, two suits worn every other day will last longer than 2 individual suits worn one at a time.

I've worn every apron, belt purse, fanny sack, ect over the last 50 years. They looked good at the time. Today they look bad when you are wearing a nice suit. And of course it depends on your character and the type of gig. I am still open to wearing an apron or bag working outside in very hot weather. When it is too hot and humid for a jacket. I just have not found a new around the waist bag that will work for me.

Just from my experience. Dry clean often, buy new often, shine your shoes before every gig, and eat a breath mint before every gig.

ACE Smile
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia Beach
369 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
Don't dismiss the thought of having a strolling pouch. The ambitious card has a wonderful strolling pouch that can carry stuff. Also take a look at Joshua Jay's pro carrier. His new one can fit two decks coins and packet trick.

The new one doesn't go into a belt loop but clips to the top of your pants. This should free up your pockets until you're ready to perform I. E. Phantom deck.

Also consider what I saw someone earlier post with adding pockets if you perform with a jacket. Helps tremendously. If your using a medium size chop cup instead of the minis (ivuse mini so I don't have to take up any table space with any of my effects), you can use ball holders that clip to the inside of your jacket.when I perform my stand up chop cup with baseball loads, I use clips.

Hope this helps a little.id be curious to know what you do and come up with!
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia Beach
369 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
If this helps, here's my pocket strategy.

Top outer jacket pocket, 10 sets of dupes for the transpo.
Left inner breast pocket, rebel note wallet for card to wallet with a sharpie clipped. Also has EB in it. With volition on business cards.
Right inner breast pocket, cell phone
Left outer pocket phantom deck
Right outer pocket, deck of cards

Left pants pocket, rope
Right pants pocket, Don Alan mini chop with loads
Left back, 3.5 inch ring, ring and rope
Right back, extra piece for ring and rope. Level one

On pants, pro carrier, had ID as an out/extra effect, triad coins when I'm ready to perform. I don't carry any packet tricks.

Some people will see this as not enough, but I try not to carry tricks that can only be done once. Exception of ring and rope and triad coins.

Set one : card visual force to revelation
Right into arc d triumph
Close out with phantom deck

Set two: ring and rope
Chop cup
Torn and restored

Set 3: extreme burn
Volition
3 phase act to card to envelope.

The last set in particular is all condensed into my everyday wallet which looks beautiful and functional for a deceiving card to wallet.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19520 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2019, Acecardician wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
The problem with clothes and pockets is that they are not often meant to have things in them, much less magic effects.

The jacket eventually looks silly hanging on you if it is weighted down with all sorts of things. Jacket pockets are sewn shut usually because in fact they are often intended to be decorative as having heavy things in them tends to break the lines of the jacket. I have seen MANY a magician show up at a table looking frumpy and rumpled because of being loaded down.

I only offer this as perspective and caution, not criticism. Just be aware of it is all I am offering.



I agree and that is a very important point. I agree 100% that appearances are everything. One way to avoid saggy suits is to dry clean often. I have a great dry cleaner that does my suits on site. A good quality suit will hold up to repeated dry cleaning. And then replace it when it looks bad.

And have SEVERAL jackets when you are doing daily shows. Wear a different jacket every day over the course of a daily trade show. It makes each one last a lot longer. Even if you can only get two suits, two suits worn every other day will last longer than 2 individual suits worn one at a time.

I've worn every apron, belt purse, fanny sack, ect over the last 50 years. They looked good at the time. Today they look bad when you are wearing a nice suit. And of course it depends on your character and the type of gig. I am still open to wearing an apron or bag working outside in very hot weather. When it is too hot and humid for a jacket. I just have not found a new around the waist bag that will work for me.

Just from my experience. Dry clean often, buy new often, shine your shoes before every gig, and eat a breath mint before every gig.

ACE Smile


One note. When you dry clean it breaks down fabric. Even realky great fabric. It wears out much faster.

I would recommend having them pressed often as opposed to dry cleaning often.

Obviously they need to be cleaned properly, no argument. Just be careful is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jaschris
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jaschris
Knowing several card tricks that are From A Shuffled Deck In Use can sure ease the worries of pocket management. I have learned that. There are plenty of strong ones out there. Plus if you happen to slip up on a trick (which will happen on the odd occasion) you can brush it aside and immediately go into another trick. Running to the bathroom or some sparsely populated corner of the restaurant to reset gimmicks is a hassle. Sponge balls are great in a restaurant setting and (depending on your routine) require little pocket management. Also, in the hands tricks are preferred so you can work lines if necessary. Though I'm sure that is not a big revelation to most workers.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1336 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Yes! Thanks Dannydoyle. That is what I meant, "Pressed"! AT the Drycleaners. I only actually "dry clean" every once in a while.

ACE Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19520 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2019, Acecardician wrote:
Yes! Thanks Dannydoyle. That is what I meant, "Pressed"! AT the Drycleaners. I only actually "dry clean" every once in a while.

ACE Smile


Yes sir it does help. I can not iron worth a darn so I have things pressed often.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Pocket management when strolling - Please advice!! (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL