The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Summer BOR sales! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
I'm gearing up for a busy summer! It's always this time of the year when I re-evaluate my BOR sales situation. I almost always offer my books and jumping wands, but I'm always mixing it up, looking for other good items. I thought I'd share a couple new ideas I'm working on for BOR sales:

Finger spies - Those cute little eye puppets. I used them in the show last summer and people kept coming up after the show asking for them. I'm still working on a presentation and display for them, but they're cheap, kids and adults love them, and it's easy to carry a lot with you to sell. Not really magical, but fun and entertaining, especially if you can use them in your show.

Light up stuff - I've sold little light-up things on and off for years, like pins, badges, glow sticks, etc. I'm looking for a replacement for the D. Robbins light up flowers which I've sold this last year. They're not reliable and long-lasting enough for me, so I'm looking to switch it up. I only sell these in venues where I can demonstrate the light, so usually nothing outdoors. I still haven't found something that I love and something that works into the show (besides d'lites).

Mini Magic Kits - I still haven't perfected this. Years ago I sold a "mini magic kit" with three tricks and the supplies. It was packaged with a sheet of paper folded in fourths that opened like a booklet. I'm still looking for a good combination of a few tricks to use if anyone has any suggestions.

Sometimes I'll theme my BOR or offer a seasonal item depending on the show. Doug Scheer had some GREAT ideas for BOR sales things this summer with the super hero theme.

Are you trying anything new for BOR sales this summer? Old favorites?

Thanks for sharing!
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I have used the same stuff for many years now and plan to release one of my items to the magic community in the coming weeks! it is by far the best BOR I have ever had and the mark up is killer. you make about $1.30 on each one. you sell them for $2 each. they are like catnip for kids!

i also sell light ups, but I sell light up laser guns, and light up wands with spinning globes - another awesome selling item

my magic set sells well at the $10 price range but don't make much off of it.
planning to create a new magic set with DVD next month and sell it for $20. I find most people will throw $10 or less at you with no problem but when you get over that price mark they seem to clam up.

i am hoping the magic set will be presented a bit more high end and get that impulse purchase. not to mention I plan to give one away in every show (easy way to plug my sale items)

the other new item this summer will be my new tee shirts. I am working on two versions.

honestly I try to limit what I sell. I rather offer 4 or 5 items and sell a ton of them verses having many items and selling only a few of each.

i have found over the years that offering fewer items I would sell more thus make more in the BOR.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Sam,
Great tips. I stick to a few products as well. Too many choices make the line move slow!

I've never tried selling T-shirts. Hmmm....

Anxious to hear about your BOR item, make sure and let us all know about it!

Thanks again for sharing!
Kevin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Summer BOR sales! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL