The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » 3Fly... Avoiding the gag? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of kenedho
Are there any products, gimmicks or routines, out there that avoid the "fly back visibly" gag for the last coin?

K.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Michael Rubinstein's RetroFly has one solution, a good one at that.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Yeah, you don't have to do it all. If you have an U3F type gaff, then a simple back and forth on the second coin will suffice. Although it can be done away with completely, if your audience is sufficiently entertained.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
The magician in me feels like you do and would like to eliminate it, but honestly the gag is about the only truly entertaining moment in my whole routine (and in many others I've seen as well but I will speak only for myself.) Smile
And by that, I mean smile inducing and not simply mystifying.

So I've tried to eliminate it but I always miss the extra beat and grins it provides. I realize it's old and worn but it still ALWAYS gets a good reaction.
So could be it's a case where you are thinking too much like a magician?
Or perhaps you just wish to study different techniques, which is almost always a good thing to do.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any methods outside of certain gaffs that actually improve the routine. But I will look into any mentioned so far and hopefully others will share more options.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Good points made by videoman.
kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of kenedho
Thanks videoman. I have considered your points but I am looking to expand my knowledge base (and hopefully come up with new handlings) instead of looking at what is more entertaining, which is more of a subjective, philosophical question that cannot be determined simply by the smile on the audience's face.
kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of kenedho
Ray, thanks I'll have a look at Michael's. I think he may have presented it in Penguin Live?

By the way to anyone who likes 3Fly and magic in generally... surely I'm not the only one that gets a smile every time a magical moment happens? My point being that in 3Fly, for example, I get a smile or even laughter when the first coin is traveled because the audience can only laugh off any irrational events they see. The way I see it is if 3Fly is done right, audience will smile without the gag. Therefore the argument "the gag causes smile and so should be kept in the routine" is diminished. My attitude is strictly "how to not do the gag, because it is not magical, and still entertain with pure magic".

All these being said, it is a very subjective topic depending on your persona, style and thinking. I hope it drives my Topic question to a more fruitful result than having people keep telling me "a gag is good".

Thanks,
K.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
AS I never liked that part I developed methods to avoid it.

Each transport should build on the focus and expectations of the audience with the final transpo being the best --

and absolutely clean and incredible transportation, e.g one coin in the left hand and two in the right. Close fists and reopen -- then last coin is over on the right hand the left hand empty.

However, if your objective is "good entertainment" then "better magic" is not always where to go.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
You could use Kainoa's Fingertip muscle pass from Cointopia to get around the gag. It fits right into the routine, very visual and it doesn't slow the routine down.

I know you don't want to hear this but I agree with videoman. Laymen like the silly gag, in fact I've reworked my handling to be able to do the gag twice in a row. You get two visual jump backs. It seems to play well, at least for me.
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of kenedho
Funsway, I gathered you may be describing a handling you devised using TUC - would you be so kind to share some insights? On the other hand, if you close your hands into fists don't you think it violates the purity of 3Fly being at fingertips and visual?

K.
kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of kenedho
Mystre, I like your suggestion. I almost forgot about that handling as used by Kainoa and Ponta the Smith!
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
As mentioned above, the finger tip muscle pass that Ponta the Smith uses for his is interesting, I still rarely do it though. You can always explore more options and devise methods to avoid the whole "visibly" plot, but I think that changing your presentation can also help you.

I assume you don't want to do the "watch it go visibly this time" part due to it not really being your style... Which is okay, even though I think you should rethink that because it's an absolute highlight of the routine and in my opinion is the closest thing to a finale that you're going to get with a three-fly without simply vanishing the coins. What I mean by that is instead of saying "watch it go visibly..." you could say "Most people would move something visibly, but I do it invisibly" I'm not saying you should use that line for sure, but you could work off of the idea of changing the presentation so it's not a joke... So that it's actually completely serious. I hope you get what I'm trying to say. Good luck!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On May 10, 2015, kenedho wrote:
Funsway, I gathered you may be describing a handling you devised using TUC - would you be so kind to share some insights? On the other hand, if you close your hands into fists don't you think it violates the purity of 3Fly being at fingertips and visual?

K.

Yes, it stretches 3Fly to mean any "across" effect using three coins done in the hands only rather than a specific "up and at fingertips" display.

Based on comments on the Café' over the last several years I feel most readers assume a more general definition that the purity of the original routine.

One could logically say that "3Fly" can only apply to the original method, but then what do we call the dozens of variations?

It is a problem applicable to Matrix as well (and Kleenex)

The basic methods are found in TUC Appreciation but other gaffs and sleights can work also. I can do this with crippled fingers, so I am limited as to method and gaff.

I can tell you how to do this with no gaff coin, but can't do it myself.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of kenedho
Quote:
On May 11, 2015, Zephury wrote:
As mentioned above, the finger tip muscle pass that Ponta the Smith uses for his is interesting, I still rarely do it though. You can always explore more options and devise methods to avoid the whole "visibly" plot, but I think that changing your presentation can also help you.

I assume you don't want to do the "watch it go visibly this time" part due to it not really being your style... Which is okay, even though I think you should rethink that because it's an absolute highlight of the routine and in my opinion is the closest thing to a finale that you're going to get with a three-fly without simply vanishing the coins. What I mean by that is instead of saying "watch it go visibly..." you could say "Most people would move something visibly, but I do it invisibly" I'm not saying you should use that line for sure, but you could work off of the idea of changing the presentation so it's not a joke... So that it's actually completely serious. I hope you get what I'm trying to say. Good luck!

Thanks Zephury. I used to do the gag... and as 3Fly is the only magic routine I know how to do, trust me I have done the gag many times and presented in different ways!
kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of kenedho
Quote:
On May 11, 2015, funsway wrote:
Quote:
On May 10, 2015, kenedho wrote:

K.

Yes, it stretches 3Fly to mean any "across" effect using three coins done in the hands only rather than a specific "up and at fingertips" display.

Based on comments on the Café' over the last several years I feel most readers assume a more general definition that the purity of the original routine.

One could logically say that "3Fly" can only apply to the original method, but then what do we call the dozens of variations?

It is a problem applicable to Matrix as well (and Kleenex)

The basic methods are found in TUC Appreciation but other gaffs and sleights can work also. I can do this with crippled fingers, so I am limited as to method and gaff.

I can tell you how to do this with no gaff coin, but can't do it myself.

Yes, 3Fly is a type of coins across, but coins across does not naturally refer to 3Fly. I have a very clear, distinctive idea about the differences between 3Fly and the other types of coins across - broadly speaking, up and at fingertips as you would describe it (but there's more that sets the difference). I really hope I could find the perfect 3Fly (in my mind) here but it seems my mind is the only thing that is creating the illusion (and sure it is)!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
You really don't have to do the little "Jump back" move as originally put. I don't think it's terrible but I've always eliminated it in streamlining the effect using regular coins. Thinking that it's best to keep 3 Fly as simple as possible for the specs to better follow along, and without the regular suspicion of it. Here's my simple take on it. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UdMhOo6Ytw
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
manreb
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of manreb
Very nice MB. Simple, direct, and with a lack of confusion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » 3Fly... Avoiding the gag? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL