The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Pace's Hot leads VS. Viking's Flash Card Wallet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The Viking one uses F****paper, which I think might be better than preparing the cards ala Hot Leads. Of course the Hot leads looks great 'cause the card is onfire. But which is more practical-Magical?

Any thoughts?

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Man don't say that about hotleads.... exposure!

Anyway I like hot leads because the card is really on fire, and also buying flash paper all the time gets a little expensive, especially if you are doing the effect 10 or more times in a night.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
The two are totally different in effect and presentation.

With Flash card, you set up the spec. Here let me give you a business card. Card wallet shown empty.... Oh, well, I don't have any right now, but I am a magician, so ...FLASH, and the card wallet now has business card(s) in it. And you hand one out.

WIth hot leads, you offer a card; "my card sir"; and WOW! Look the card is on fire.....and flaming. Not just a momentary flash - but actually flaming.

I love Flash Card. I am now on my fourth one. It isn't that it is a bad unit, that causes me to have owned so many, but I use it constantly. And the ignition source dies over time. Viking will replace the source for a fee. But it is as easy to buy a new one and not a lot more expensive.

Here I will toss out a hint that I offer in my lectures. The Flash Card wallet section where you load the business cards is covered with plastic, and when you have just amazed folks, and are trying to get a card out of there , it can be awkward. And if you stumble - you lose the impact and magic of the flash. So just lay a loose card on that section and close it. It stays pretty well, but if not, a tiny peice of magi wax will secure it.

Then when you Flash, and open the wallet again, to show that bus cards have magically appeared, you can just slide the business card right off and hand it out. I continue to hold the flash card open, so they can see the additional cards held in by the plastic.

Oh, and to address the comment about constantly buying FP. I used a full shetet 7X9 inches or so, and used a 2X3 pad and now am still working on a half sheet, and that is all I have used in over two years with flashcard. It take a small peice of FP (I make mine square) a little larger than the diameter of a quarter in each direction. A single page from a 2X3 pad gives me 6 loads. I bought a new pad of FP recently but don't even carry it yet. I still only carry the remains of a half sheet of FP, because it will be about two months before I use it up.

As for Hot Leads, I don't have one yet, but have been following it since Jim released it. And I know that Jim has solved most of the concerns and issues that existed with AfterBurn (which I do own) So Hot Leads is high on my list of upcoming purchases.

But they are different effects, with different requirements, and different impact. They both have their own place.

I use flash card almost everywhere except a hospital or a paint or chemicals factory. But almost everywhere. Close-up, it is no problem.

But Hot Leads will be for wide open spaces - certainly not shoulder to shoulder packed rooms, but places with a bit more distance from/between specs, whcich also gives room for more onlookers to see the magic from a distance.

Decide your audience and go for it.

The last Flash Card I got was only about $26 (the first one was $49 as I recall) and Hot Leads is really not very expensive either at $35. Especially compared to AfterBurn which I recall retailed closer to $60. So with a little budgeting, you have could have them both.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
snedglow
View Profile
New user
Pine Grove, PA
94 Posts

Profile of snedglow
Hot Leads is great! It takes several practices to get the exact timing down, but once you're there, it is definitely a startling presentation for someone.

I have found it works best when you're handing out your card in an environment where there is some noicse around you. It isn't really terrific for a deathly quiet room or situation.

Nevertheless, it is a great effect and, I think, well worth the $$$.
-Randy
[email]rsnedden@closeupmagic.org[/email]
Smile
~~~~~
“Chance is but the pseudonym of God for those particular cases which He does not choose to subscribe to openly with His own signature ... ”
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
Both were created by Jim Pace. Both are good, as far as visual, go for Hot Leads.
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Flash Cards is truly a great way to hand out your card. First you have no cards then FLASH you have a wallet full of them. I sold the manufacturing rights to Viking Manufacturing about seven years ago. Michael Ammar was also responsible for the popularity of Flash Cards. If you look close in the original instructions you can see his hands and his card.
Just a little history-
Jim
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Will the Pace/Howard Mercury Wallet have any type of flash?

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
keith2606
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of keith2606
Viking's Flash Card Wallet sucks. The wire don't get lite up every time and I have to keep adjusting it. I would prefer Burning Connection 2.0 which is more reliable.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have both. I have gravitated to using the Hot Leads all the time, so IMO it is the better of the two

Jim
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
For me personally, since Jim Pace is a convicted child rapist, I will not use any of his products. He's still in snake river prison until 2024

http://itricks.com/news/2010/08/jim-pace......viction/

James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Pace's Hot leads VS. Viking's Flash Card Wallet (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL