The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Big EBOLA News... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea exaggerated dialects are only non racist when they poke fun at the right people. You know that Lobo.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On May 16, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea exaggerated dialects are only non racist when they poke fun at the right people. You know that Lobo.



As surely as I know the connection between lax policies on illegal immigration and the unemployment rate among young black males.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That would be a direct connection I think.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On May 16, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On May 16, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea exaggerated dialects are only non racist when they poke fun at the right people. You know that Lobo.



As surely as I know the connection between lax policies on illegal immigration and the unemployment rate among young black males.



So according to your logic, Ronald Reagan had the most lax policies on illegal immigration...

http://data.bls.gov/pdq/SurveyOutputServlet

Moreover, going back as far as the BLS database allows (1972 in the above table), the black unemployment rate has always been historically higher than the overall unemployment rate. And at the current rate of 9.6%, it's actually a little lower than it's 43 year average, and significantly lower than the 12.7% rate that Obama inherited in Jan. of 2009.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
How does the claim that Ronald Reagan had the most lax policies on illegal immigration derive from my logic?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
Quote:
On May 13, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Well, I think it's good news that it's over!

Although, I'll admit, having to watch the insufferable Cenk Unger be the one to tell us made the good news seem not all that great.


I knew Cenk when he was an arrogant, annoying, loud right-winger. I was delighted when he switched over so he could be an embarrassment to the other side instead of my side.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On May 16, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
How does the claim that Ronald Reagan had the most lax policies on illegal immigration derive from my logic?


It from any logic?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On May 16, 2015, CThomas wrote:
Quote:
On May 13, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Well, I think it's good news that it's over!

Although, I'll admit, having to watch the insufferable Cenk Unger be the one to tell us made the good news seem not all that great.


I knew Cenk when he was an arrogant, annoying, loud right-winger. I was delighted when he switched over so he could be an embarrassment to the other side instead of my side.


Cenk was a right-winger at one point?!? Wow, that's not something I knew and find really shocking!
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
We were law school classmates. He would yell and scream at the professors about how Scalia was right and Reagan was the best president ever. When he turned it wasn't all that much of a surprise. He was never thoughtful.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
My irrational classmates were much more quiet about it.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On May 16, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
How does the claim that Ronald Reagan had the most lax policies on illegal immigration derive from my logic?


You imply a connection between lax policies on illegal immigration and the unemployment rate among young black males. If that's the case, then what can we infer about the 22% black unemployment rate under Reagan? However, if you do not imply a connection, then what exactly do you mean when you say, "I know the connection between lax policies on illegal immigration and the unemployment rate among young black males"?? Please clarify. Thanks.


Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On May 16, 2015, CThomas wrote:
We were law school classmates. He would yell and scream at the professors about how Scalia was right and Reagan was the best president ever. When he turned it wasn't all that much of a surprise. He was never thoughtful.


So... Reagan wasn't the best president ever? Your post implies that a thoughtful person wouldn't conclude that Reagan was the best.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On May 16, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On May 16, 2015, CThomas wrote:
Quote:
On May 13, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Well, I think it's good news that it's over!

Although, I'll admit, having to watch the insufferable Cenk Unger be the one to tell us made the good news seem not all that great.


I knew Cenk when he was an arrogant, annoying, loud right-winger. I was delighted when he switched over so he could be an embarrassment to the other side instead of my side.


Cenk was a right-winger at one point?!? Wow, that's not something I knew and find really shocking!


He (Cenk) says it often enough on his show. I find it admirable that he can honestly admit his past flaws. Smile

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
At any rate, back to Ebola. Glad it's under control.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On May 17, 2015, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On May 16, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
How does the claim that Ronald Reagan had the most lax policies on illegal immigration derive from my logic?


You imply a connection between lax policies on illegal immigration and the unemployment rate among young black males. If that's the case, then what can we infer about the 22% black unemployment rate under Reagan? However, if you do not imply a connection, then what exactly do you mean when you say, "I know the connection between lax policies on illegal immigration and the unemployment rate among young black males"?? Please clarify. Thanks.


Ron



Firstly, I made a single assertion, so there wasn't really any exercise of logic going on. You are correct, though, that I did intend to imply a correlation; however, it is faulty for you to assume that on the basis of such a correlation, the president with the most lax immigration policies would be the one with the greatest black unemployment rate. As an analogy, there is a positive correlation between height and weight, but that doesn't mean that the tallest president was the heaviest.

However, as it turns out, I *do* think you can make a case for Reagan being the most lax president on illegal immigration, since as far as I know, he's the only one who granted such a mass amnesty. That's a coincidental fact, not one that flows from my original post, but it certainly consistent with my post, so thanks for helping to demonstrate my point.

As for what we can infer from the black unemployment rate under Reagan, probably not a whole lot, for a few reasons. first is the whole correlation vs. cause and effect thing, but since I believe the connection IS causal, let's ignore that one. More important is the time lapse factor. The Regan Amnesty was declared in very late 1986. It's unlikely that the effects (if any) were felt strongly, during his presidency. It had to go into effect, there was a great deal of administration involved, newly legal residents had to find jobs, etc. Finally, there are many factors involved, and I cited a single one. To attribute specific causation primarily to a single factor goes far beyond what I said or even implied. Again, we can't infer that the heaviest president was the tallest.

Since any claim worth it's weight in bandwidth should have SOME implication(s), though, here's what I think we can infer: The Reagan Amnesty probably resulted at some future point in a higher black unemployment rate than there would have been had it not happened. That's just supply and demand in the labor force. You could make the counter-argument that there's some "rising tide lifting all boats" thing going on when you add a bunch of people to the (legal) labor pool, but that requires a number of additional assumptions. But if you want to devote some time to defending Reagan here, knock yourself out.

A seasonally adjusted unemployment rate (counteracting the confounding results of one of those "additional factors") shows the black unemployment rate at under 20% under Reagan and largely falling during his administration. That may (or may not) be the influence of the tax cuts that took place far earlier in his administration than the amnesty. Again, multiple factors in play. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201......-whites/

I should have limited my comment to the black youth unemployment rate, which is more directly affected by illegal immigration, but the general principle holds, regardless.

Did you think I had some sort of Reagan hero-worship?

http://townhall.com/columnists/walterewi......n1561096

Walter Williams's perspective on "more confounding factors."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But wouldn't you have to consider the deal he made? The amnesty didn't happen in a vacuum.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think you'd have to consider a lot of things. Again, many factors. But basically, I think that I porting non-Americans into the workforce has about the same effect as companies' exporting jobs to locales other than the USA.


Interesting quotation from Williams, above: "From 1900 to 1954, blacks were more active than whites in the labor market. Until about 1960, black male labor force participation in every age group was equal to or greater than that of whites."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On May 17, 2015, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On May 16, 2015, CThomas wrote:
We were law school classmates. He would yell and scream at the professors about how Scalia was right and Reagan was the best president ever. When he turned it wasn't all that much of a surprise. He was never thoughtful.


So... Reagan wasn't the best president ever? Your post implies that a thoughtful person wouldn't conclude that Reagan was the best.

Ron



Here, you display faulty logic. A statement doesn't imply its inverse. This is really Logic 101. A non-thoughtful person believing that Reagan was the best president no more implies that a thoughtful person would think he wasn't than the claim "Employees in a restaurant should wash their hands after using the bathroom" implies that non-employees shouldn't wash their hands.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Typical NVMS. A story about Ebola in Liberia gets ignored so that American politics can be shouted. Seriously? 1 in a thousand Liberians died in an epidemic. WHO announces that the epidemic is over. And this is what we're talking about? Seriously?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I agree that it's good news that Liberia is Ebola-free.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Big EBOLA News... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL