The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Penn Gillette on "Jeopardy" (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On May 19, 2015, S2000magician wrote:

What's with the fungus on your face?

Not sure. I scrub and scrub, and it stays.

But my wife likes it, so I don't scrub so awfully hard anymore. She's kinky about face fungus, I guess.
Kim Van Weert
View Profile
New user
Perth, Australia
19 Posts

Profile of Kim Van Weert
Quote:
On May 19, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Weight was not put on fast, it should not be taken off fast.

You are absolutely right...but I was fully convinced that if I didn't do something about my weight that I would die in my 52nd year.
When I started I was only 27 days away from my 52nd birthday (procrastination is one of my traits)...I was running out of time! Smile

When I first started I was losing it very fast (never as fast as those guys on The Biggest Loser though) but towards the pointy end of the journey things slowed right down. As it was it took me exactly 60 weeks to lose 87kg (192 lbs). That averages out to 1.4 kilos per week (3.2 lbs). Weight Watchers and other groups would recommend one kilo per week. That is very achievable and not too hard to do. But I was in the super obese classification which meant that my body could substain quickier weight loss.

As for Penn's energy...that is a byproduct of weight loss. You feel like you've just awoken from hybrination and have loads of energy.
I literally would be walking along with my wife down and jump with joyious energy. The fitness is oozing out of you.
Once I was invited to talk about my weight loss to a group of people. I wanted to illustrate just how much 87 kilos weighed and looked like.
So I weighed out 87 kilos worth of books and put them into two suitcases to transport to the venue. I rollered the cases to the back of the car.
I just managed to lift one of them into the back of the car but the other one was too heavy to get in.
Yet I had carried all that weight 24/7 for years. No wonder I was tired all the time.
People think that fat people are lazy - they are not - they are just exhausted hefting all that weight, all the time.
Without that all weight...no wonder you are bouncing around like Superman. I image Penn is feeling that now too. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well you didn't carry that weight around with just your arms so that is a bit misleading.

Healthy weight loss is "generally" slow. It is about not shocking the body and about not yo yo up and down. That is excessively unhealthy.

One thing to remember is that your body will try to get back to the maxiMum weight thinking that is what it needs to be at. The endocrine system is a strange monster and needs to be understood.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kim Van Weert
View Profile
New user
Perth, Australia
19 Posts

Profile of Kim Van Weert
Agreed I didn't carry it all with my arms...but I was illustrating that even just a little over half was too much for me to lift successfully off the ground two or so feet - and I'm super fit now!
Trust me if you had worn my supersized pants you would understand just what an effort normal life was - and how tiring it was.
In many ways when I first started to exercise by putting in a daily ten minute walk that took more physical effort than towards the end of my weight loss journey when I was putting in an hour of swimming, an hour of jogging and an hour on the exercise bike each day.
I guess it something that people who haven't walked those (fat) shoes just don't understand.

Understand I'm not making excuses for them...I just understand how hard it is to live that life.
That is why when I see overweight people nowadays I have to hold myself back.
I want to "shirt front them" (an Australian expression) and tell them there is hope and a better future out there for them!

I agree with you that weight loss should be a slow steady thing. My aim was never the monthly target or the weekly weigh in but just to make sure that my weight was lower than the day before. Steady always wins the weight loss race.
But what you must understand that losing 2.5kg (5.5 lbs) as I did in my first week is nothing to a man weighing in at 153.7kg (338.9 lbs) compared to losing one kilo (2.2 lbs) at 70kg (154 lbs). It is a question of ratios and percentages. You will find that in the obese wards they are asking for those sorts of results from those who can afford to lose it quicker.

One of the main reasons that I waited so long before I decided to lose weight was that I did not want to do that yo yo up and down thing. I always told myself that if I was going to lose weight then I wasn't going to play at it. Either I did it or not.

Do you not think I understand that my body is trying to get to "normal" (super obese) weight?
It has been over three years since I've lost the weight.
Each day I weigh myself, each day I eat moderately and each day I do at least 90 minutes of hard exercise.
If I don't - I can easily put on a kilo (over 2 pounds) per day because of my stuffed up metabolism (which is my own fault).
But that's the lifestyle I choose because the pay off is worth the effort.
I'm fully aware of the dangers and the cost...I'm living it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Dude settle down. I did not say YOU didn't understand. I was just pointing out out.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Settle down, Danny? His post sounded quite calm and measured and simply explanatory. I think you're projecting.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
His last paragraph of "do you not think I understand. .." seemed pretty excitable to me. Sorry.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kim Van Weert
View Profile
New user
Perth, Australia
19 Posts

Profile of Kim Van Weert
Quote:
On May 19, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
His last paragraph of "do you not think I understand. .." seemed pretty excitable to me. Sorry.

I'm sorry that you read it like that. No offence was meant.
My experience of Forums and Newsgroups (remember the rough and tumble of those non-moderated places?) it is best policy to always assume the better of people's writings because intent and expression isn't clearly communicated by the written word (unless clearly indicated by a direct insult of cause!).

I did assume you were directing your warning obliquely to me since you were commenting on my previous post.
I just thought that you were warning me about the train coming down the track...not realising that I've met that train 3 years ago.

I'm pretty chilled out about people's opinions about weight loss anyways.
A lot of people just don't get it and it is understandable because it isn't something that they have had to struggle with.

Even the "professionals" don't get it. During my weight loss I went to my doctor to keep tabs on my general health.
She was astonished with my weight loss and told me that I didn't need to lose any more.
The crazy thing about it, is that I still had another 40 kilos to lose (88 lbs).
Any weight/height health chart could have told her it was wrong to tell me that.
Ironically after I lost all my weight - she decided to do something about her overweightness.

While losing weight I only read two books on weight loss. Neither were helpful and one was down right unhelpful..it nearly did my head in.
Once I had lost the weight I did start buying and collecting weight loss books in an attempt to figure why I succeed when so my others didn't.
These books can generally be put into three types (there are exceptions):

The "crank" books where there is a secret magic way to lose weight.
This is snake oil for the desperate and the gulliable. Millions of dollars are being made on broken dreams.

The second is the "expert" book, usually written by a health professional who see weight loss as a simple formula.
More energy out/less energy in equals weight loss. These books have a section on exercise and a section eating healthy.
At best they may have a few paragraphs about motivation but usually it is just lip service.
If weight loss is so simple - then why do so many fail and so little succeed in losing weight following this advice?

The third sort is the "life" book which is written by someone who has lost a significant amount of weight.
They generally deal with the problem from the inside first (getting the head right) and promote permanent lifestyle change.
These books only make up a small segment of the market and their voices are drowned out by the others (particularly the quick fixes books).

No wonder people don't get it...even the experts don't get it.
That is why our society is getting fatter even though they think they know all about it.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6956 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Since Penn Gillette lost the weight, does anyone besides me, see a resemblance to Simon Lovell?

Doug
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Oh Snap Doug! That was just cruel! Smile

But yeah, just a little.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1217 Posts

Profile of imgic
In Stone's picture, I was thinking he looked a bit like Mickey Rouke in Ironman 2...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On May 20, 2015, imgic wrote:
In Stone's picture, I was thinking he looked a bit like Mickey Rouke in Ironman 2...

I thought the same thing, but considering his avatar I was wondering where his six gun was.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2020 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
He does look sickly but he lost a lot of weight very rapidly, not really healthy and in the long run you should always do it slowly. But he looks older being he has extra skin hanging now, which will shrink over time. We are just not used to seeing Penn like that as he is more "filled in". Also heavier people have a different more muffled like voice, which also changes when you lose a lot of weight. So it is just different. Unless the weight loss actually came with some type illness that they don't want to reveal right now. But If he feels great and is healthy that is all that matters. The rest will fall into place with time.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Penn Gillette on "Jeopardy" (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL