The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Pitching at gaming and comic books convention (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
214 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
Hey there,

It's been a while since I came here. I see new faces and many who left us :'( (Jon-O The Great and David S. Walker)

I have been pretty busy and having good runs at a local outdoor flea market, but I have seen a video games/comic book expo/swap meet will be happening in June and spots for the vendors are 40$.

I wonder if an assembly of nerds like myself will be a good place to sell Svengali decks.

anyone had experience in this type of environnement?
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
People are people...it doesn't matter where you get a spot. As long as there are a lot of NERDS you'll do good.This means within reason of course,don't book a genarians convention.

Don
Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
214 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
Thanks Don.

I guess moral of the story is to try it and at least break even Smile

It's going to be indoors so that's also a plus for me (no wind).
twycislak
View Profile
New user
Montgomery, IL
17 Posts

Profile of twycislak
If you don't try, you don't know. Lots of people is always the first qualification. Good luck Smile
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2691 Posts

Profile of sethb
For $40, you can't go too far wrong!

That said, there are some things that would be good to know: is this the first time for this convention, or have they done it before, and how was the attendance? Also, are they publicizing it sufficiently? Lots of show promoters are quick to take your money, but some are slow to spend it on publicity. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
What Seth said. Frankly, I never book an event their first year. I've made my list of events within 40 miles and stay busy at successful events and by-pass the "clunkers", but the list took about 5 years to make and in the beginning 1 - 2 years had some not too successful venues. I thought I knew more than Don. NOT!
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2691 Posts

Profile of sethb
I didn't think I knew more than Don, but I did think I knew better than Don. It took me about a year and a good wad of cash to find out I was wrong --- and I still have a couple boxes of Buddha Papers, Ball Vases and Coin Slides to prove it!!

BTW, I don't think there's anything wrong with being a 40-miler. There's plenty of gold in them thar hills, if you know where to look. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
You guys are way too kind to me.Lets face it the more you're in the pitch business,the more you learn.I'm glade Leo and Seth didn't take my word for it and had to find out for themselves.Its called "the school of hard knocks". But when you learn the hard way it sticks in your head way better.I understand where they are coming from as David Walker told me all the "don't" but I knew better....yeah right...LOL.
Remember every mistake you make just makes you wiser...and wiser is a good thing.

So all you news guys out there remember ever mistake you make is just a learning tool.But be smart enough not to make the same mistake twice.

When I first came out with my Svengali pitch tape I already had been out in the trenches for over 20 years.Thats 20 years of many mistakes.Mistakes I passed on to the guys that bought my tape.Its like telling a kid "don't touch the wall its wet paint...or don't touch the stove door its hot" So what do they do...touch it to find out if you were telling them the truth.Its called "Human Nature"

Later,Don
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Pitching at gaming and comic books convention (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL