The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Cups and balls online video with a context (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
580 Posts

Profile of Nick23
This cups and balls routine is excellent. I guess this type of magic presentation would work better behind a bar, rather than table hopping... I must admit with this rountine I was fooled twice, and I had to rewind the video to catch the loads.

Check this out:
[expired link]
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I have heard Of Tim's routine but had know ideal that it was this good.
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
That was really good!
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
I just have one thing to say.

Hey, hey. Bomb da hey da hey da hey, hey.

:D
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Best I've seen for entertainment quality and I've seen Cellini, Thompson,Ammar,Paul, etc.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
No doubt that was well routined! A+
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Very Very Cool!!!!

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
invalidity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of invalidity
Whoaaa... very well thought-out routine. Forgive my ignorance, but who is this guy?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Tim Ellis, from Australia. If you like this you should see his "Rap 6-card repeat" and his razor blade routine... the kid is good (and Sue ain't bad either Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Thanks guys! I'm glad you enjoyed 'Runaround Sue'.

When Sue-Anne and I lecture we often do a workshop based on that routine. Not only do we teach the whole thing but, more importantly, we go through the creation of the routine and explain how every gesture not only progresses the story, but covers a secret move as well. For example, the first ball vanish cannot be done without a tattoo on my arm. Yet the tattoo is also a lovely visual to set up exactly who Sue was.

We are constantly aiming to create new pieces, and encouraging others to do the same. Hopefully next year we'll be over in the USA again (FFFF, Hank Lees, Battle of the Magicians) and we can showcase some of the new routines we're working on.

Personally, I love to take a classic effect and not only twist it to give it a surprise ending, but also to give it a second layer. For example, my linking ring routine is done robotically - if you don't like the magic, you might enjoy the movement. A new MacDonalds Ace routine Sue-Anne is developing is based on a classic piece of Australian poetry. The Six Card Rap is, obviously, a rap as well as a magic trick - enjoy either or both!

The easiest way to start creating new routines of your own is to play MagicSports, and try to make mistakes, try to do what won't work, because when it does... not only do you get a surprise, but you've opened a brand new door.

Try some now! http://www.magicunlimited.com/Pubmagicsports.htm

TIM ELLIS
Darck Ninja
View Profile
New user
SLC-UTAH
76 Posts

Profile of Darck Ninja
BRAVO! Excellent work! Your misdirection was so superb I had to actually look back to when you switch the cups! EXCELLENT! I don't believe I've seen a better word-less routine.
Your good.

God Bless,

C. Vernon Bitter
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He who does not know it and can no longer wonder, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed." Einstein
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Great work Tim!
Just like Darck Ninja said, your misdirection is exellent..

But one question for you Tim, I'v heard you have been using Modèns Healed and Sealed on a lot of your shows,
how do you think it works out in a more stand up setting?

P.S. Sorry for hogging this thread:)

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Michael Sullivan
View Profile
New user
Australia
86 Posts

Profile of Michael Sullivan
As a good friend of Tim Ellis I would have to say from first hand experince of learning Tim's Cups & Balls and how it was born is a great lesson in magic.

Elrik,
I can only speak from my personal view of Tim's handling for Healed and Sealed which Tim named Soda Reserection when first learning the early idea from Anders Personaly and can be found in his lecture notes.
Tim has shared a lot of new ideas with anders since he started doing the effect which is why you see his name in the print.
But after watching Ti do this effect many times he has turned it into a work of art.

Tim and Sue-Annes Six Card Rap is very funny and shows how and old trick can be turned into fresh new twist and you can buy a copy of the sound track from there web site.

Tim has a great mind for magic and some amazing skill and I for 1 feel very lucky to be able to learn from Him.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I think I've done Soda Resurrection more times than anyone on earth. I use it in almost every show we do. As far as doing it in a stand up show, obviously it plays stronger if everyone can see the can up close - either live by limiting the audience to about 100 - or by using video projection.

In Korea we did it to audiences of 500+ and used video. In Melbourne we have done it for groups of up to 1000 without video and it still plays well, but obviously a lot of people don't get the full impact because they simply can't see it.

One KEY aspect I cannot stress enough, is the importance of having a volunteer on stage with you throughout the procedure. He can handle the can to reassure the audience it is real, but more importantly he reacts to each phase and the audience reaction is stronger because they see him react first. They would subconciously think "Wow. Even if I was up on stage too I would be fooled like that guy is." (Or words to that effect).

There are SO MANY tiny details that are crucial to the trick that Sue-Anne teaches when we lecture. I would LOVE to do a video of our handling of the trick, because it really would take 30-45 minutes to explain every little subtlety. But as Anders is the originator, I guess I just brought the trick to everyone's attention and tidies a few things up *g*, it's up to Anders to deal with any further merchandising of the effect.

All I can suggest is you attend Hank Lees, FFFF, or the Battle of the Magicians in 2005 and come to our lectures! *g*

TIM ELLIS

PS: Thanks for the kind words Michael.
Jeff007
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Jeff007
I must also highly recommend the workshop for the Soda Resurrection. That will certainly help anyone interested in doing this effect to get the absolute greatest reaction you could ever hope for. You will hear a difference in your audience after trying a few tips that the workshop will give you. I recommend video recording your audience (not your performance) as you may do this routine now. Then, after you participate in the workshop and work on the new things that you have learned, and decide to use pieces of the new things in your routine, record the audience again. You will likely fall out of your chair when you see the difference a few subtle hints and tips from that workshop will make.

As Tim has said, he has probably performed this routine more than anyone. Participating in the workshop is a win-win situation without a doubt.

Value the mind of these two, their entire performance of anything they do is always a work of art.
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
I really enjoyed that. I do not typicaly like the cups and balls, because it ussualy doesn't make any sense for me. I loved that routine. I liked it soo much I won't watch it again for a while. I want to let that first impression sit for a while.
He who laughs, lasts.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
That was by far the most awesome, original cups and balls routine I have ever seen. I loved the implication of the glasses.
proliv
View Profile
New user
Portugal
36 Posts

Profile of proliv
Very good Work, fantastic idea!
Tspall
View Profile
Regular user
Lumberton, NC
147 Posts

Profile of Tspall
That has to be one of the most entertaining c&b routines I've ever seen! I love 50s music too, so that just added to the fun. The Magicsport links sound like a great way to keep your thinking sharp and to break out of old practicing patterns. Thanks for sharing them.
Tony
"It's showtime!!"
My magic blog:
http://ahora_mismo.blogspot.com/
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Very neat!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Cups and balls online video with a context (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL