The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Jay Sankey selling a rip-off? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I just found this trick:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=909

It appears as if Jay Sankey's trick Killer Key is a rip-off of this trick. Is this true? I've never heard of Jay doing something like this.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
One is a transformation: Coin to Key

Jay Sankey's is a transformation, a key and coin switching places.

They might use similer gaffs, but are completly different tricks.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
This is from the creator of a great effect.
The creator of "Ultimate Coin ta Key"

"Inregards to Jay stealing the effect of the killer key? He may have come up with this independly but it has ben on the market for 3 years as the ultimate coin to key. If he came up with this independly fine, but he should have done some research as I did prior to the release when I first came up with it. Nothing against him directly but the problem with most magicians is lack of research........"
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Hi,
I don't have anything to do with either of the effects discussed and haven't used them.
But.
The coin to key is not new and looking at the web link above I would be careful about claiming that it is a particualy new idea.
Has anyone actually got both effects and are they the same. Redstreak who started the topic doesn't seem sure.
I don't really think Jay would steal the gimick. Its not worth it.
Can anyone be sure of how long the effects have been on the market.
Please, lets be sure of our facts before calling people names.
Eddie
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Many years ago supreme magic sold a trick called Key-Boodle.

Same effect same method.

This has been mentioned before somwhere on the board.

HERE IT IS
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=3507789

So take your pick , which one is a ripp off and which is not.
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
As an owner of Killer Key, I can tell you that Ultimate Coin-Ta-Key doesn't appear to use the same method of working! Killer key is a NICKEL. Ultimate Coin-Ta-Key uses a QUARTER. To me, this makes all the difference since Sankey's depends partly on the circumference of the Nickel to work! Even though I don't know how Ultimate works, it's fairly obvious from the posted pictures that compare the size of the quarter to the key that it replaces, that the Quarter is WAY too big on the Ultimate key effect to work in the same way as Killer Key!

Just an observation I wanted to point out.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Yes, one uses a nickle and one a quarter. Different trick. Watch for my soon to be released packet trick "Twisted Brothers". (It uses Kings instead of Queens). At your favorite dealer soon. LOL
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
Ibd, your missing the point.

Since they aren't the same SIZE, the method couldn't be the same. If you owned Killer Key, you would know what I'm talking about. Obviousley not.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
Thanks Neo,
Exactly. Ibd missed the point, although I DO like his sense of humor.

It's as you said, he doesn't know how Killer Key works and therefore missed what I was trying to point out. In this case Ibd, Size really DOES matter! Smile
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-02-13 09:37, PalmBeachGuy wrote:
As an owner of Killer Key, I can tell you that Ultimate Coin-Ta-Key doesn't appear to use the same method of working! Killer key is a NICKEL. Ultimate Coin-Ta-Key uses a QUARTER. To me, this makes all the difference since Sankey's depends partly on the circumference of the Nickel to work! Even though I don't know how Ultimate works, it's fairly obvious from the posted pictures that compare the size of the quarter to the key that it replaces, that the Quarter is WAY too big on the Ultimate key effect to work in the same way as Killer Key!

Just an observation I wanted to point out.

That tends to happen when copyrights are involved.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22900 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Note: In the early late '70's or early '80's, Presley Guitar marketed the quarter and key.

Roy Baker's Key-Poodle came with 2 legal sheets of tricks possible with this great key/coin gimmick. It discribed transformations and many effects possible with the trick. I purchased mine direct form Mr. Baker, it was made with a british 5 pence piece.

Presley Guitar did not continue marketing, but I am glad the gimmick is available. It is good magic with everyday items.

Goes well with Koran Ring Flite, too. Now, there is something someone can market.
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
O.k. I have posted about this before. I wasn't sure which one to buy so I contacted Jay sanky in regards to his vs. the Ultimate coin ta key. He said" that he is not aware of anything similar on the market and that he is to busy making his own material. Now he probably came up with this on his own but like it was stated in a earlier post should have researched it. I ended up buying both these effects. The Coin Ta Key, and the Killer Key. They are the same excact gimmick except one is a nickle and the other is a quater. I personally like the Coin ta Key better. Its more visual do to the fact that its a quater. The gimmick its self is old idea. But with old comes new.....Its to bad that Sanky and the creator of the Coin Ta key have the same gimmick out. But I tend to believe that this isn't hurting there business.
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
Same method! one uses a nickel..smaller key. The other uses, a quarter..larger key!
My..My..when will all the nit pickin end! LOL
Maybe it all originated from an unknown magician or mystic in China!
Gerard
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I would never believe that Jay Sankey would put out a rip off. He always gives credits where they are due and he is a very nie guy.

To some even the idea of using a key instead of another coin is a rip off. Because the same gimmick came out with 2 coins even before.

If he researches for every effect he puts out, he would not be able to release half of his material.
Yours,

Ivan
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1240 Posts

Profile of Jeff
I seem to recall Steve Dushek having something simular out in the seventies or eighties.

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
Niva! and Jeff! very well said!!
Chao.
Gerard

"THOUGHTS HAVE WINGS"
Gerard
eggshell
View Profile
Regular user
Chorley, England
146 Posts

Profile of eggshell
I wonder whether you can become too focused on producing new effects and your material starts to become a bit thin and unoriginal. Perhaps Jay needs to rest up a while and stop being so prolific...quality not quantity.

I don't know much about this effect but when I saw his name attached to "Cut Here" a principle which I am sure I learnt out of a comic book I thought "whoah man take a break !!!"
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
"it's fairly obvious from the posted pictures that compare the size of the quarter to the key that it replaces, that the Quarter is WAY too big on the Ultimate key effect to work in the same way as Killer Key! By PalmBeach"

Then

"Same method! one uses a nickel..smaller key. The other uses, a quarter..larger key! "

How can it be when the above poser said the coin was too big to be with the key? It does look so in the picture, maybe its making it look better than it is.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1517 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
I have both they work exactly the same way.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
Ok finally a confirmation.

I guess the picture was just sized differntly.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Jay Sankey selling a rip-off? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL