The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Paper Clips (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rmann
View Profile
New user
Milton VT and a forum newbie with only
96 Posts

Profile of rmann
After visiting Staples some time ago I have had it in my head to do a routine just involving paper clips. Staples carries a line of color vinyl coated clips in three sizes and another like it in anodized metal. Most of the time you see paper clips as a prop in another genre, such as a clipped card effect, or limited effects like bending the clip. What I had in mind was a series of effects forming a complete mini-routine involving the clips as the main focus. Produce a paper clip. Transform a paper clip to a different size. Change the color. Vanish the clip. Produce the clip from an unexpected place again. End clean.

I have looked at various books, videos and routines and didn't come up with many good routines to incorporate. I just came across a good downloadable by a guy named Jibri Taylor on Theory11 (http://www.theory11.com/wire/jibri-taylor/) that has five routines in it for the princely sum of $2US! I don't have it all worked out yet, but he has given me some good paths to follow. Just thought I would pass this info along, and if anyone has any other ideas they would be welcome, too.
_

Pastor Ray Mann

Champlain Valley Church of the Nazarene

St. Albans, VT (USA)

"...to Him who alone does great wonders, His love endures forever." Ps 136:4
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
2 in the Hand, 1 in the Pocket type routines come to mind, ending with perhaps a mini stapler or jumbo paper clip.
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
There is a z fold Dollar linking paperclip effect .

Here is a link to the effect I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCRRqPYIWsY

Bruce Cervon had it on one of his videos. I thought it was a kiddie trick but I've found that with a good presentation it plays very well.
I do perform it more for Kids than Adults but it plays well for Adults too. Mine is a "Gypsy" test of future friendship but anything that involves the audience in how far apart the clips land when they hit the table will work.

There is a mental effect that uses a paper clip to force an outcome but I'm not sure you'd want to draw attention to the clip. It can be done with a large clip to show from a distance.
The bigger the clip the easier it is to fabricate. I don't do it much now but when I did, it when over great.

It involves running a clip down the edge of a paper to stop on a "random" word in a list.

If you want that sort of thing PM me and I'll elaborate.

Jay Sankey has a very fine effect out called Paperclipped (I think it used to be called #@&*$ or something like that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SIM5DmI7sY

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Mary, a Navy friend in the early '50s, Gaylord Hill, published that paper clip "Z" fold in the "PHOENIX" MAGAZINE.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I knew it was not invented by Bruce and I must say I was surprised to see him put it in a video project.
It needs a good presentation(what effect doesn't?)

Since then I've gained respect for the effect. Did Gaylord Hill invent it?

-Mary
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1492 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On May 22, 2015, Mary Mowder wrote:
I knew it was not invented by Bruce and I must say I was surprised to see him put it in a video project.
It needs a good presentation(what effect doesn't?)

Since then I've gained respect for the effect. Did Gaylord Hill invent it?

-Mary

It's credited to W Bowman in Bruce Elliott's "The Best in Magic".

Barry
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Thank you Barry.

-Mary Mowder
magicsecure
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of magicsecure
I know this is not the same ideal your looking for but you should check out bentley I think its called a bending paper clip trick.
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
Harry Lorayne have two clip tricks in his Himber Wallet book. (Of course then you need to have a Himber wallet, but who doesn't?). Smile

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1492 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
There's also Ken de Courcy's "Linklip", which seems to be easily obtainable on both sides of The Pond.

Barry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Paper Clips (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL