The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Decision (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gbhunter77
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Gbhunter77
I have been toyin with the idea of just just letting magic go and stop doing. I do not thinknk iam any good at it plus it does never seem I will to performed infront people plus I'm not very smart and justo want and I'm clumbsy. Not to mention huge and ugly.
My youtube channel check it out its magic.
im not great but getting better.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvQIycva0rFOIdArln7lEg
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Gbhunter77, if magic makes you happy, keep on doing in ... even if it's just a hobby. But if it makes you unhappy, stop doing it. Simple as that.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2819 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I thought being ugly was a requirement to be a magician.Smile

I agree with Arthur, if you don’t like it drop it. But magic can be fun
in many ways without being an expert at it.

Tom
Kind People Are The Best Kind Of People

www.tomboleware.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Magic can definitely be a hobby even if you don't perform. For example, I've had a great time building up a lot of the effects I've found in Steve Dusheck's books. I've got a lot more tricks than I would ever perform for folks, but it is still a good hobby if you enjoy it.

On the flip side, here are some great words that I still ponder: Find out what you don't like doing, and stop doing them.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On May 21, 2015, Gbhunter77 wrote:
I have been toyin with the idea of just just letting magic go and stop doing. I do not thinknk iam any good at it plus it does never seem I will to performed infront people plus I'm not very smart and justo want and I'm clumbsy. Not to mention huge and ugly.

You seem to be very hard on yourself and filled with low self esteem. Not a shrink here, but I'd suggest seeing a psychologist or a member of the clergy with whom you might talk about your feelings. Perhaps you will identify root causes for your negativity about yourself and find solutions to making you a happier person. I'm sad for anyone who is missing out on life because of emotional pain and I'm only trying to help here. I truly hope you find happiness in whatever you do.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1217 Posts

Profile of imgic
Other than a few tricks for friends and family, I don't perform anymore. I've been planning to for the last 5+ years, but never seem to make the time to practice. I was consider dropping the whole thing...but realize I like thinking through routines, browsing catalogs and online shops, watching others, reading of the history, the interaction of the Café. So figured I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Do what makes you happy...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Big and ugly? Friends that could be the title to my autobiography!

I have been performing magic for a long time professionally.

If you want to quit then that is up to you. Just make sure you do so for the right reasons.

Oh and I redefine clumsy on a regular basis.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1217 Posts

Profile of imgic
If you're looking for "easier" but still professional routines. Check out the works of Scott Guinn. He used to bill himself as having "palms of putty". And had hard toe doing all the knuckle busting sleights. So he created routines that he performed professionally but didn't require you to dislocate a finger doing them.

Scott's gone off and become a pastor but sold his works to Lybrary.com. You can see his stuff here :

http://www.lybrary.com/scott-f-guinn-m-235.html
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Paul, I am big and ugly. I have no discernable skills. And I have made a living doing magic for two decades. I am not saying that to make you feel better; look at my avatar. I also felt suicidal in my teens and early twenties, though that is not so obvious from the avatar.

I don't do magic for other people (though they do see it). I do it for myself. And so should you. Do things that give you pleasure, or that pushes the despair slightly further away. Basically, just hang in there. It really does get better. And better. And better.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1217 Posts

Profile of imgic
I am also huge (I really need to start a diet and exercise routine). But I'm not ugly. In fact, I'm pretty darn good looking. Not because anyone tells me I am (nobody does). But because I say I am. I've got too big a head, a weird bump on side of nose, and still get zits. Worse, as I age, I'm at constant battle to catch those long hairs that grow from ears, eyebrows, and nose...after have a college professor with hair coming out of all those spots, I swore I never would have that. Despite all of that, I'm good looking...because that's what I tell myself.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On May 21, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
Paul, I am big and ugly. I have no discernable skills. And I have made a living doing magic for two decades. ...

I was just watching Mac King's Penguin Magic lecture and one of the most interesting things he said was, (paraphrasing), "A fellow magician watched my show and afterwards told me that he thinks that was the only magic show he'd ever seen with absolutely no moves. I took that as a complement .... I think."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On May 21, 2015, Gbhunter77 wrote:

I've been going through magic "burnouts" since I started back in 1970! The longest was ten years! This one has been going one for about a year and a half now.

If it makes you feel better to back off for awhile, go ahead. If the "while" lasts for a long time, so be it.

Magic is supposed to be fun. If you're not having fun, back off and find something else you like doing.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On May 21, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
Paul, I am big and ugly. I have no discernable skills. And I have made a living doing magic for two decades. I am not saying that to make you feel better; look at my avatar. I also felt suicidal in my teens and early twenties, though that is not so obvious from the avatar.

I don't do magic for other people (though they do see it). I do it for myself. And so should you. Do things that give you pleasure, or that pushes the despair slightly further away. Basically, just hang in there. It really does get better. And better. And better.

Wow. My applause to you for a wonderful response! Life is to live in the moment, and it is a personal thing. Those who stop playing to what we are told is "tops" begin to enjoy the fun of just living. Hey, at best I am an average magician, but I can entertain people, make them laugh and forget their troubles for awhile, and I am having great fun doing it. It has gotten better, and better, and...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Gbhunter77... It sounds like you're worried about how others perceive your Magic (and you) and using to that to make your decision.

Hey, if you like doing Magic. Just do it!

Do it for YOURSELF!

I propose you just train one routine, whatever you like.

Have fun! We all pass this way only once!
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Decision (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL