The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Do you always try to "figure it out?" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2015, ZachDavenport wrote:
Try to imagine a new color.

OK, got one.

Are you going to guess it?
jmbulg
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
208 Posts

Profile of jmbulg
I always want to understand how things work and magic is no exception, but I generally concentrate more on how the public was managed than the actual method used. For the latter I generally try to imagine how I would do it and then try to check whether or not my approach was the one used by the magician.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Although figuring it out is gratifying, I increasingly find myself just enjoying the performance more and more. Some things - like memorized deck work in card magic - I intentionally avoid learning because I want to be an occasional oblivious spectator just as much as a performer. Obviously, I do my best to compensate for this lack of knowledge with my own performances. But I still think being oblivious about certain types of magic effects is the best way to be inspired to improve your own performances. Just my humble opinion...
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Most of the time, no.

I'm usually focused on the presentation and choreography. I will only attempt to puzzle something out afterwards, if it fooled me terribly.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On May 14, 2016, 1KJ wrote:
I find that I am focusing more on how they entertained the audience and the little things they do. I could watch people like Pop Haydn all day long, just focusing on how he works the room.

KJ

Yes, the little things! The little touches of astonishment! Many of us saw Dan White recently perform a mind-reaing card trick on Jimmy Fallon. The first part involved a blackboard prop advertised even in the Café forum. Yes,we can figure this part out. The second part... signed card to sealed envelope (untouched by magician). OK, I tried to figure it out, thinking not just about the puzzle part... but is this a trick I can perform as well? This was the 'little part' of the trick, including Dan White's build-up and how he worked even the TV audience; and this was what blew minds. I did not figure this one out, but have fond memories of it. Lynn
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, George Ledo wrote:
Okay, so here's a question... Smile A loaded question. Smile

Is there (could there be) a relationship between ...style of presentation?...

The challenge of perceived smugulence?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I don’t need to figure out how it is done because I am one who knows.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Do you always try to "figure it out?" (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL