The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » POV Tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gentle_dissident
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of gentle_dissident
Hello all. I grew up doing kid shows because I was a kid. I moved on to sleights. I would now like to try a bit of public clowning. I'd like to present mostly tricks that only the spectator is in on; Paper Balls Over the Head, Surprise Wand Vanish, Magician Vanish. Is there a name for this type of magic/exposure? I'd also like to be able to use found objects like newspaper, rocks, and sticks. Thanks in advance for the avalanche of suggestions.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Any bad magic with bad slights, where you flash.... would fit the same catagory.
You have to have a better defination to avoid the above Smile.

Welcome to the Café. Maybe you can put your website in your profile and post an avatar.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Even a Sucker Sliding trick or where something is "found" on the back of the volunteer after it's vanished, could fit this category "Exposure-for-one".
Any "look but don't see' trick might also fit. The Bongo Hat is also this type of performance.

Now that I think about it, if you have a show that's entirely the same plot-line, like this, it won't take long before the kids catch on and become bored. let alone the adults.
You need a few tricks that are pure magic, some that are audience participation and some that are sucker tricks but a show that's mostly (according to the OP) exposure-for-one- effects would not have legs.
gentle_dissident
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I'll be working a fairly large outdoor crowd. I'm not worried about getting stale. I've tried the tricks I mentioned on a couple of people, and they thought the tricks were mysteriously funny.

I don't have a web site. I haven't been into magic for 40 years to get paid. I was thanked once with a $30.00 gift certificate to a very local sporting goods store. I love the whole experience. I like to learn, adjust, create, innovate, plan, script, set up, and roll with the punches when everything goes wrong. Magic is a thrill. I have a few passions and a lot of hobbies.

I work retail because I'm a hardworking people person. I've also spent some time studying psychology. However, it does take some effort to stay above the loonies. It's a thrill, but absolutely not a passion.

If I were going to make money from a passion, it would be a rock band. We'd give free concerts and sell recordings. I know, we didn't get the memo regarding the new business model. I'd post links to music, but that would be improper in my OT introduction.

If I were going to have a magic website, it would be a place to hang out and talk about magic. However, we'd have to keep the conversations on the down low as to not tip the curious laypeople.
gentle_dissident
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

I'm guessing those are the best known POV tricks, or I'm in the wrong forum.

I have a pretty good routine with the order: Surprise Wand Vanish with a stick and paper ball, Magician Vanish using the paper ball, Paper Balls Over the Head with an additional paper ball. This will be at our city's Halloween party, so I'll "reappear" to finish the routine by saying, "Boo!"
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Michael Finney card on forehead.

"Perverse" magic is not the same thing but may be another type of magic that would also work for the style you are speaking about.
pueraeternus
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of pueraeternus
If you're looking to stay within the use of "found" objects then I would imagine you are somewhat limited. Is that the case, or by found objects would you also include common everyday objects that are actually props/gimmicked?
androidlove
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of androidlove
EDIT: Oops, I'm gentle_dissident. I must have logged in the other day thinking I was uing the nick androidlove. Looks like I was in 2006. Now, I can't get into my gentle_dissident account. LOL Sorry, no harm intended. I did make some posts in 2006, but they all got deleted because I didn't capitalize words. Turns out, that's a forum no no.

ORIGINAL POST: Michael Finney's card on forehead is interesting. However, I will be doing short performances for mostly children at our town Halloween party. It's open air with lots of attractions, so my wandering act will be brief. I want to use found objects to match the grittiness of my clown costume. It's the red, white, and blue clown mask that looks like it belongs in Coney Island. My suit is a navy Dickies jumpsuit. It's an eerie combination. It looks like I will be with a similarly dressed clown who is also talented. We might try a fishing pole POV levitation. That just made me think of the Balducci.
pueraeternus
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of pueraeternus
Well, a combination of a clown costume and a nice Halloween movie pumpkin head would be eerie, keeping it patriotic is fine. I'll look around my collection to see what I have that's not bulky and considered an everyday item and pass along any ideas I can come up with.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » POV Tricks? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL