We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Cyclone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
Has anyone ever encountered a Cyclone handcuff as a challenge before?

If so, what is the story behind the challenge or if used in the act how do the audence react to this 'better built' mouse trap?

There is a link to the company home page http://www.cyclonehandcuffs.com

UPDATE: Feb 22, 2004

Ok, got one and have had fun playing with it.

1) It seems to be based on the standard Quik-Cuff
2) The word Cyclone is etched into the bow.
3) The dead lock is very, very easy to activate on it.

Be carefull out there. Someone may catch you out with it.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Stuart, does this use a special type of key? Also is it being issued anywhere that you may know of?
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Stuart,

Any chance you could bring it along to the UKEA meeting on the 20th March?

Thanks,

James.
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Will do.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Well, I just took delivery of a pair of these cuffs.

Initial points ...

a. They are knock-offs of the Hiatt Speedcuff (almost identical)

b. The double-lock can be applied in 2 ways ... the normal way with the opposite end of the key, and also with a sliding mechanism which you just use two fingers on (one either side of the cuff).

c. The plastic around the keyholes tapers in to the keyhole, so the opening is wider at the entrance, and narrows near the keyhold. The bad news is that the modified Gimmick-X needs to go back to the grindstone. Don't assume that if it works on Speedcuffs it will work on Cyclones ... Smile

The good news is that an articulating extension key does work, even when they are double-locked with the keyholes facing away from you hands. Small mercies!

They retails for about £50. I got mine on eBay for £31, new, with serial number still on it!!

Any questions, let me know.

Thanks,

James.
man.ray
View Profile
New user
New York City
30 Posts

Profile of man.ray
James,
Are the internal workings of the Cyclone also similar to the Speedcuff or are they really only similar because they are both rigid? Are there also three separate pawls in the Cyclone? Can it also be backloaded like the Hiatts? How many locking positions are there? Just curious.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Hi,
The Cyclone is almost identical to the Speedcuff. Yes it backloads, the plastic bit is almost identical. Size is the same. I haven't counted the locking positions, so can't answer that, and I have just sent them off for someone else to take a look at! Smile

Only two pawls, though .... and of course the words Cyclone rather than Hiatt (which is the major difference to my untrained eye!)

James.
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

James is spot on with regard to the fact that it is almost exactly like a Hiatt.

The main selling point of the Cyclone is that it was designed by a police officer who was sick and tired of having trouble activating the double lock and having prisoners tighten the cuffs in transit and then claim police brutality.....according to the selling blurb for the cuffs.

In SINGLE lock mode the cuffs lock can be breached in the same way with the same tools as the three pawl Speedcuff, however the one selling point to this cuff is that the DOUBLE lock can be activated very easily.

Once it is double locked then the McColl extention tool or maybe the modified DeVal can deactivate the Double Lock allowing the cuff to be opened.

If anyone has any ideas, excluding not putting them on in the first place, on how to get out, then I am all ears.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Hacksaw
Chainsaw
Angle grinder
Butchers knife (it's either the cuffs or the hands ... choose!) Smile

Ok, I'm sick. Sorry,

James.
man.ray
View Profile
New user
New York City
30 Posts

Profile of man.ray
Thanks James and Stuart. I'm ordering one for myself. Wanted to get the scoop on the design first though.
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

It is a very simple and yet clever adaption of the Quik-Cuff....easy to get the double lock on, easy (ish) to deal with when it's off.
man.ray
View Profile
New user
New York City
30 Posts

Profile of man.ray
It sounds like picking the cuff would use a similar technique with a Yuil which also has double pawls. It may even be easier because it doesn't have the middle divider the Yuil has.
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

It's a fun cuff to escape from.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Cyclone (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL