The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Seance performance dilemma (advice requested) (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
This, is a pet peeve of mine.
Many posters doing a performance of "Spooky Tricks" and calling it a Seance !(theatrical)
Doing bizarre magick does not make it a seance.
You can do the tricks, then move into a seance portion of your set.
And, yes a Medium of sorts is needed for a seance. Be it the performer or a participant.
So, I do agree with comments of Bill, Slim, and Mr. Gray ... tho, there may be no absolute definition of what happens.
If there is 'NO' Medium, it is a Paranormal Performance / Bizarre Presentation ! IMHO

So, to justify ... We, call scaring the sh!t out of people "ENTERTAINMENT" ? Smile

~G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
To clarify, scaring people is entertainment and there is a whole industry built upon that from horror movies, horror novels, roller coasters, other thrill rides, haunted houses, Halloween, etc., AND people pay for the privilege.

I agree that lumping a bunch of bizarre effects together does not constitute a séance. In a séance, you need to be contacting spirits. However, the dividing line is what happens once contact is made and how is contact proved?

In my séance I do contact spirits. I just don't plan on contacting any of YOUR dead relatives. My agenda is different. However, you still might receive a message from a loved on; maybe directly, maybe passed on to another spirit. I just don't say it's going to happen because I don't know often or for how many people it will happen.

I also don't do a dark portion. When I was part of Trinity and we were developing our séance, we asked a lot of people and almost all of them stated that if anything took place in the dark, they would assume that trickery was taking place. Trinity adopted a no black out policy. I maintain that in my séance.

I've been to a couple "real" séances and they're boring and filled with B. S. One was a group of people with the medium doing a John Edward style séance but this was BEFORE anyone ever heard of John Edward and she had been doing this for over 30 years. I saw her twice. Once by myself and once with a friend. Both times she gave me info about family names that didn't relate. She told me to go back and ask family members and I'll find out that she was right. Nope, wrong.

The other "séance" was a group of people trying to tap into the spirit world and then giving each other readings.

So, there are many flavors of séance. We can debate which one's the best or the most literally correct but in the end it doesn't matter. If you're in it for the money, then you just want the one that the most people are going to be drawn to and attend.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
MagicDan3333
View Profile
New user
Sun Prairie, WI
38 Posts

Profile of MagicDan3333
In the Bible belt area, you might consider calling your seance or event a demonstration of how a seance might appear. You are not claiming anything, yet can demonstrate whatever you wish.
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
362 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
Why not just create the art that you want? Be an artist! These kinds of worries rarely, if ever come to fruition!

You can spend twenty years fact-checking, double speaking, procrastinating, all based on how you THINK the audience will respond.

Stop projecting & start creating!
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Interesting discussion folks. I had the pleasure of interviewing Bill Montana today and we had a good talk about many of the areas outlined above.
the.erebus
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of the.erebus
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2015, EVILDAN wrote:
Exactly and you don't want people expecting to contact a dead relative and finding out that's not going to happen.

If you can't contact a dead relative at a Seance then why would you go? AND can it really be called a Seance at all?

True
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2021, the.erebus wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2015, EVILDAN wrote:
Exactly and you don't want people expecting to contact a dead relative and finding out that's not going to happen.

If you can't contact a dead relative at a Seance then why would you go? AND can it really be called a Seance at all?

True

There are a lot of people not related to Houdini and Houdini seances always sell tickets.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Doc Ben
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
246 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2015, MagicDan3333 wrote:
In the Bible belt area, you might consider calling your seance or event a demonstration of how a seance might appear. You are not claiming anything, yet can demonstrate whatever you wish.

John Ferrentino has a fantastic approach to this premise of a "what if demo of a seance" in a recorded lecture, "Do The Spirits Return", which solved this issue for me of concern over any particular audience and their reactions to a so-called "Seance".
Smile
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" (the original F. Baum)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Seance performance dilemma (advice requested) (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL