The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Phill Smith at Penguin: What do? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2015, phillsmiff wrote:
My understanding of the format is that there is kind of a sit down chat phase afterwards and I want to dig into some of the more theoretical stuff there? I guess a lot of theory will get hit on the way through the effects, but we'll see.

If you have an outline of specific theoretical material that you'd like to discuss, I thought Luke Jermay's lecture-inside-a-lecture approach was effective. He was organized with slides and made all the points he wanted to make without having to joust with the moderator (who can sometimes be disruptive and overpowering). Luke started with effects, did a focused section on theory, did more effects, and then sat down with Dan. I thought it worked out very well. Once you get to the chat phase, you're not in control anymore.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Thanks for the idea Truman. A lot of the theory is illustrated by particular effects - I'm planning on including Thumbscrews not because it is THE BEST but because it is designed in such a way as to be as screwup-proof as possible and that's what I want to cover. But the specific theory stuff I will maybe do as you suggest.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I love Quinta and bought the book, so the selfish part of me doesn't want Quinta and its versatility shared with everyone who just watchs your lecture. But, again, that's just me being selfish. All that said, I think that the strength of Quinta is not the methodology, but how it can be used in a variety of ways. It's like when Vincent Hedan showed in his lecture how his effect Pi was a way to use a memorized stack without using a deck of cards. Quinta can be used with objects like ESP cards, or envelopes, but can also apply to a chair test, for example. So I would love for you to not necessarily show multiple effects with Quinta, but at least talk about some of the ways you and others have explored its application.
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
I want you to do a Q&A if only to illustrate your thoughts on premise.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
magicgerry06
View Profile
Regular user
FRANCE
132 Posts

Profile of magicgerry06
I love Equifinque! Nice quick impromptu plot. Don't teach it (-:
Gerard ZITTA
http://www.untouchedmagic.com
"If Magic be the food of love, play on..."
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Oh, er, Gerard, you might want to look away RIGHT at the beginning of the lecture. :-/

Phill
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
544 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Phil,

I don't have any experience with your performing style or the types of effects you perform but in the interest of both potentially helping you with creating your lecture and others whose interests are in line with mine; things I'm interested in currently are:

1) How mind reading should look and possibly feel for both you and the participant.
2) Storytelling and intertwining a story into your effects/act.
3) Scripting and the ability to make your scripted act what you actually perform. I believe Jermay touched on this either in his lecture or dvd set I don't recall.

Or none of the above... and just shot from the hip! Smile
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Another vote for your approach to Q&A. Thanks for asking!
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Hi guys, following a bit of research and work I think the way I'm going to split this up is to do a short close-up set (performance), followed by the explanations, and a short cabaret set followed by the explanations, interspersed with some other stuff? It makes sense to break it that way because close-up and stand-up are kind of different beasts.

Phill
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
565 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2015, phillsmiff wrote:
Hi guys, following a bit of research and work I think the way I'm going to split this up is to do a short close-up set (performance), followed by the explanations, and a short cabaret set followed by the explanations, interspersed with some other stuff? It makes sense to break it that way because close-up and stand-up are kind of different beasts.

Phill

Sounds good!

I'm already signed up on the "All Access Pass"
WooverM
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of WooverM
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2015, phillsmiff wrote:

Phill

Great! Thank you for listenning to our suggestions Smile
Woover
Luccky
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Luccky
Good news ! Thanks Phill. Close-up mentalism is the thing I want to hear about.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
At the moment the structure is almost like 2 mini lectures, one close up and one stand up - the close up set is all fairly straightforward commercial stuff I've used for real people with minimal props etc. It's been fun looking again at how everything fits together, and it gives me the chance to build in some structure (more so with the stand up stuff) that would be hard to touch on if it was effect / explanation / effect / explanation like a normal lecture.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Hi guys, I don't really have anything significant to add beyond what I've already mentioned regarding the upcoming lecture beyond being just super excited to share all this stuff with you. The text on the Penguin site suggests I'm going to be doing Knowledge 3, but I've swapped that out for Left Brain Write Brain because I've been playing with the revised version and I love it, and I'm probably going to cover Knowledge Quin in the bit where I bang on about Quinta stuff for a whole day, so it's a fair exchange.

If anyone has any questions that you want me to answer during the lecture, please ask them here: I'll concoct a plausible sounding answer and say it as convincingly as possible during the show. Smile

Thanks!

Phill
dan the man
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of dan the man
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2015, phillsmiff wrote:
The text on the Penguin site suggests I'm going to be doing Knowledge 3, but I've swapped that out for Left Brain Write Brain because I've been playing with the revised version and I love it,

Yesss! Thank you, sounds great!
Orlan
View Profile
Loyal user
WA
223 Posts

Profile of Orlan
Hi Phill!
I must admit I'm not familiar with your work, but I'm definitely looking forward to your lecture.
Your plan sounds great, I also prefer the perform multiple effects first then explain later approach against the one effect one explanation approach.

I'm sure by now you have your plan, but I'll throw in another idea. Many people will probably disagree with me, but I actually like it when the performer explains everything, except for one thing. If you have one effect that's hard hitting and you are not sure if you want to share it- it's okay to perform it and not explain it. It will keep your audience interested in your work (that's my opinion anyway). And hey, you can say you'll explain it in your second Penguin lecture! Smile
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
I totally agree with Orlan.
I love it when lecturers perform something which they don't explain. Leaves you wanting more. And ends the lecture on a high note.
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Cods wallop
There is no holy grail!
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Hi Orlan, I've got plenty of opportunities through the rest of the year to show people stuff and not explain it - I get what you are saying that it is tantalising, but it's all on the table on Sunday, metaphorically but also kind of literally. I've just flown like 5000miles to teach this stuff I'm not going to blue balls anyone with some obscure unexplained wizardry.

Phill
Orlan
View Profile
Loyal user
WA
223 Posts

Profile of Orlan
I'm all for that too. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Phill Smith at Penguin: What do? (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL