The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Music (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Theodore, wrote about being a Praise & Worship Leader.

I'm wonderingly, besides magic, does anyone else play music at their church or
outreach Ministry?

Bringing up a joyous noise.

Love and prayers

Brother Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I am a Reader in the Eastern Orthodox Church. It is similar to being a Cantor in Judaism. Everything except the homily (which Protestants called the sermon) is chanted and sung in the church an everything is done a capella. There are eight principle tones used and they are very intricate. Orthodox chant uses a different scale than standard Western tuning so you sing the notes between the notes so to speak. It was and is a real challenge as I am a rock musician - vocals and keyboards - and it felt like learning to sing all over again. But chanting is at least for me a more intimate way for lack of a better term to worship Almighty God.

+In Him,
Vlad
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Fascinating. Is this the same Orthodox Church that is in Ethiopia and Eritrea?
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Wonderful.
As one who was raised in a synagogue, I am familiar with Cantors.

Love and prayers

Brother Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:
Fascinating. Is this the same Orthodox Church that is in Ethiopia and Eritrea?

Hi my friend,

The church in Ethiopia and Eritrea is the Coptic Church. Here's a little background on the Coptic Church:

Prior to the “Great” East/West Schism of A.D. 1054, the Coptics were separated from the rest by the Council of Chalcedon in A.D. 451. The council met to discuss the Incarnation of Christ and declared that Christ was "one hypostasis in two natures" (i.e., one person who shares two distinct natures). This became standard orthodoxy for Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholic, and Protestant churches from then on. The Coptic understanding is that Christ is one nature from two natures: "the Logos Incarnate." In this understanding, Christ is from, not in, two natures: full humanity and full divinity. Some in the Coptic Orthodox Church believe that their position was misunderstood at the Council of Chalcedon and take great pains to ensure that they are not seen as Monophysitic (denying the two natures of Christ), but rather "Miaphysitic" (believing in one composite/conjoined nature from two). Some believe that perhaps the council understood the church correctly, but wanted to exile the church for its refusal to take part in politics or due to the rivalry between the bishops of Alexandria and Rome. To this day, 95 percent of Christians in Alexandria, Ethiopia, and Eritrea are members of the Coptic Orthodox Church.

The Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church recognizes that indeed a possible misunderstanding during the Council of Chalcedon may indeed have taken place and as such, Coptics are allowed to receive the Sacraments in the Orthodox Church and vice-versa. It's also important to note that the Coptics have GREATLY contributed to the clarification of Christian doctrine and study.

Hope that helps! Smile

+In Him,
Vlad
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
It does! Thanks Vlad!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks Vlad.

My background was country, rock and blues. I still play both secular and non secular music.

Back in the 70's I was full of myself and E.G.O. (Edging God Out)

At one event a few years ago, I was blessed to do a duet on harmonicas with a friend who happens to also be a Catholic Priest.
The song was Going to Kansas City.(and we played it in a venue on "Vine"-----12th and Vine as mentioned in the song doesn't exist, at least in my lifetime...we
were at 18th & Vine)

Side note, do you have Convoy of Hope events in your area. It is a time when all churches in the area have either one big event city wide, or local churches. People can come for services,food, haircuts, dentistry, fellowship, and yes music. For the last several years, it has been held in a big Urban Area Park. This year in Kansas City area, they are having smaller events at local churches. I will be sharing as a ventriloquist and as the harmonica player in a musical group.

Here's one we are thinking about adding to our play list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqm-S9J1s_k

Love and prayers...bringing up a joyous noise...

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Hi Harris,

Unfortunately, Western Europe is SO secular that there are no events similar to what you are referring to. Too bad because it sounds like a blast! Truth be told brother, it is a spiritual wasteland here. I had always heard how Western Europe was become so secular but after living here for three years I have to say that "secular" is a gross understatement.

Love the song! I'm a fan of Celtic Thunder and I love their rendition of Caledonia and they do a bang up job on Sir Paul McCartney's Mull of Kintyre. I'm half Irish and Celtic Thunder are Scottish so we are almost brothers. Smile

Your jamming with that priest reminds me of my wedding reception years ago. The "band" at our wedding consisted of two Orthodox priests, a deacon,and a reader all jamming some GREAT music. The marriage didn't last because her Jehovah's Witness mother REALLY hated the fact that her daughter converted to Christianity, but, the memory of that wonderful day when those priests were jamming makes me smile and today I really needed a smile and your rekindling of that memory is a blessing.

I am working on creating a full blown musical act called Invasion: The Experience. It's a live music and multimedia show inspired by shows like Beatlemania and Rain. It's a celebration of the great bands of the two British invasions in rock so we will we covering The Beatles, The Dave Clark Five, Gerry and the Pacemakers, The Who, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, and many more. The multimedia aspect is to give the music context. It's a huge risk but even though I am too young to have grown up with those legendary bands of the 60s and 70s, they have influenced me profoundly - especially The Beatles and Pink Floyd.

I would LOVE to be in Kansas City this year to catch your vent act and hear you wail on the harp. Please play with gusto brother so I can imagine that I can hear you here in Rotterdam!

+In Him,
Vlad
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I am a percussionist, and I enjoy playing in the orchestra for special programs, or playing marimba with my daughter and wife (a flutist) at Christmas.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Our Un-named Praise & Worship team shared for the first time last night.
It was a blessing.
Earlier in the week, I jammed with some musicians.
It was a mix of old country, blues and Gospel.

Note to self,
Self, don't try to keep up with a professional fiddle player, when you haven't played harmonica at higher rates of tempo.
The song was Chicken Train

http://youtu.be/TSkN9m7kh9A

as done by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils.
Betse Ellis took the song into overdrive.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Hi Harris: I had the wonderful fun time of "opening" for/doing Gospel magic right before "The Church Sisters" did a mini-concert at the Clay, WV High School in early July. They are fantastic singers, check out their videos on www.youtube.com. Pictures from the actual program are posted under "Northgate Church" for the 2015 Clay VW Trip (also on youtube, a picture of me on stage is after the weightlifter on the "Around CCHS & Community Picnic" video). What an absolute blast I had, really fun. The Church Sisters are authentic country/bluegrass, their band is fantastic (some pictures of them performing are right after me).

:) Sadly enough, the entire Clay area experienced significant flooding the following Friday afternoon. Smile They have already invited us back for July of 2016! Smile
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Churches do still gather together for live events in the UK. I've performed at a few of them.

but the biggest are now held in Holiday Parks or Camp-sites. eg - Spring Harvest, New Life and Greenbelt where 1000s gather together.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Music (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL