The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » A thought about the internet. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A friend of mine at another forum suggested that I post this everywhere. It's a piece of philosophy that might help all of us out.

Not everything about magic is on the web. There is a lot of very good stuff that is not on the web. The web is a very tiny part of the world.

When you begin to believe that cyberspace is the real world, then you have problems.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Cyberspace just gets you there quicker Bill. It gives you a lot of info instead of waiting for the monthly reviews.
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
Quote:
On 2004-02-15 03:03, thehawk wrote:
Cyberspace just gets you there quicker Bill. It gives you a lot of info instead of waiting for the monthly reviews.

True but it also gives you too much misinformation as well.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
It gives us not only misinformation but also true information which are useless.

Hideo Kato
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Dig into the classics and revamp some old ideas!
Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, New York
182 Posts

Profile of Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
I think the internet is perfect for when I can't sleep and I want to do some shopping and 4:00am.

However, nothing beats the feeling of going to the local magic shop or to a magic convention and interacting with other magicians.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Wait...isn't everything on the internet true? They wouldn't tell us false stuff would they? NOOOOO
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Referencing magic; the web has introduced me to many valuable resources which in turn have expanded my knowledge of magic and given me greater enjoyment.

Such resources are the many forums, the many vendors, and most important of all, the many people. I believe my magic and my love for magic would not be what it has become, without the web as a conduit.

Referencing other matters; the web has given me hope in enlarging what must be an undersized part of my body and has promised to show me the way to bring tremendous joy to women, whether they want it or not.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Another good thing about the internet is the amount of demoes out that are interesting to watch.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Don't forget the number of demos out that are totally useless.

I'm not saying that the internet is useless, by any means; however, there is a huge amount of nonsense on it. For example, look at the number of knocked-off magic tricks on various web sites. I recently found a web site that was selling CMH for $5.00. This was not Michael Ammar's version, but a knockoff of it.

The biggest problem with the internet as opposed to books or commercial video is that there is no "filter" on the internet. Anyone who has an FTP program can put up a web site. There is virtually no production cost at all. To produce even a small pamphlet requires an investment in hard copy. Producing a hardback book is an even costlier project.

The same is true of web videos. All you need is a camcorder and the software that comes with it, and you can put video on the internet. OTOH, if you produce a commercial video that people actually PAY for, you have to give them something with some substance. Plus, you have production costs in terms of a studio, lighting, copying, cover art, etc.

Some modern magic consumers are not really aware of the differences.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I hear that....I can't stand the majority of the demo's out there. They are of inexperienced magicians, without confidence performing some trick they don't even own.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » A thought about the internet. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL