The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What to do when a spectator asks to examine the cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
HighVolt29
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of HighVolt29
I've done many tricks where the cards simply can't be examined. It is these tricks where the spectators always ask to examine the cards which are gaffed. (Double backed, etc.) When I say no, they say that I am using a trick deck and assume all my tricks are like this.

What do you do when spectators ask this question?
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Do a simple deck switch or learn different ways to do the tricks with a regular deck of cards that give the same effect. Smile Either way you'll be getting better!
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I just admit that they're right. "Of course it's a trick deck! That's why they're called TRICKS!" Then give them a wink and a smile and move on. Usually everyone has a good laugh about this and it will give Mr. Nosey something to contemplate.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
T&E Magic Makers
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of T&E Magic Makers
First do a trick with a normal deck of cards: a very powerful one that you know will blow them away. Then show them your deck of cards. You can then proceed to do a trick with your gimmicked deck and no one will request to see your deck of cards.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Tell them to wash their hands first. Politely explain that most people have oils on their hands that actually eat away at the surface of the cards. While they are washing their hands, switch decks.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
A better question might be:

What am I doing that prompts some audience members to express a desire to handle the cards?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
HighVolt29
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of HighVolt29
Thanks everyone for the advice.

-Ben
Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
489 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
I'd go with a deck switch. Maybe buy some time.

"Yes, you could examine it, but do you think it would do any good?" This was a tip given by Doc Eason at his lecture that I saw in Pittsburgh a few months back. I believe he was basing this around some of Kenton Knepper's Wonder Words principles, but don't quote me on that.
jondabach
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of jondabach
If you are using just one card you can always palm off that card and give them the rest of the deck, but chances are that if you're using a double backer you probably can't do an invisible, smooth palm. I would recommend looking through Encyclopedia of CardMmagic and finding three alternatives to a gimmicked card for each trick you do....that way you'll be covered even if they catch onto your move. I was once doing an ambitious card routine and someone had heard of a double lift. I did a KM move or a bottom placement and they were distracted...then I did a double and fooled them - how fun was that!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6924 Posts

Profile of Dougini
This has been a common problem for me. Well, I came up with this:

My packet wallet (credit card wallet, leather) is where I keep my two "stand by" effects, in case someone asks me...

On the back of the wallet I have a piece of double stick tape, covered by a piece of wax paper. When the trick is done, and the "DB'er" is on the bottom (can't palm it off, the heat is on!), I place the packet on the wallet, so the DB'er sticks to the wallet, and I dump the cards on the table (towards me), and pocket the wallet!

All that's left to do is slide the DB off in my pocket, and when I bring out the wallet to put the cards back, I have Color Monte standing by--no gaffs--no more requests to see the cards. I usually end with a no-gaff where I'm clean at the end, anyway.

Just a thought...

Doug
NYKnicks5
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of NYKnicks5
"Tell them to wash their hands first. Politely explain that most people have oils on their hands that actually eat away at the surface of the cards. While they are washing their hands, switch decks."

Bill Palmer said this before and I usually would say something to that extent if the situation came up. Usually, it is better to avoid that situation altogether, but sometimes there is a person who always claims that the deck is a trick deck. Depending on the situation, I might just ignore him. Here is a tip: if you address the person that said it, all the focus will be there. Simply ignore him and move into the next trick and the audience won't think twice (this also goes for someone saying they know how the trick works). If the person is obnoxious and constantly tries to ruin the tricks, I try to embarass them a little bit. I might say in front of a large group, "Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. (whatever his name is) will now proceed to make a rabbit appear out of his hat." Or something silly that he obviously cannot do. Play around with that line, I usually make something up on the spot if that situation comes up.
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Tell them "Absolutely" then pocket the cards and continue on with your performance. The rest of the audience will remember your positive response and the inquirer will assume you just misunderstood. (keep smiling)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Great response GKFREED!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
HighVolt29
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of HighVolt29
Thank GKFREED for the great response. I really like that idea.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I never do an effect with a gaffed deck or packet without first doing card magic with a regular deck of cards. Once you've established that you can do miracles with examined cards, people will assume all your cards are normal and in my experience they don't ask to see the cards again even if you bring out another deck or packet.
rsummer27
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
225 Posts

Profile of rsummer27
Just say no.

Don't give in to peer pressure from your audience.

If you make a big deal about it they will pick on you even more.
Giggles the Clown buys all of his
supplies at www.madhattermagicshop.com
Super Low Prices on Videos and DVDs!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
There is so much material out there without using gaffs you should switch to that way of working for awhile... if they are your regular audience that you work often for, after a while they will not ask anymore.

So, without gaffs, just hand them the cards to shuffle or whatever.

If you work behind a bar, do like Frank Shields used to do: say, "OK, but just a second, the cards are dirty, let me clean them." He would then dump them into the soapy sink water and hand them a soaking wet deck.

:kermit: Smile Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Say:

"Sure, some people even say: 'If you were a real magician, you would let me shuffle the deck! To which I respond: "Go find yourself another magician'!"

This gets a good laugh, because it's just not expected and everybody forgets about examining the deck.
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
gink103
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of gink103
I personally don't use any trick cards except for a invisible deck. I have not once ran into someone wanting to examine my invisible deck. What tricks do you use trick cards for? If you just have one double backer you need to ditch jus side steel it ot the bottom and gambler palm it while handing them the deck to examine. that's what I do for Daniel GArcia's Satisfaction guarunteed because it only uses one double backer. Are you doing a gimicked packet trick? I usually stay away from those in close up because most people do want to examine them. It also depends on your age and who your performing for. If you a younger magican like me and performing for other younger people they will be much more skeptical and want to examine everything. They will be more respectful to older magicians. Not because they like you less but because they feel more comfortable around you and want to catch you. that's why I don't use gimmicked decks.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2004-02-16 03:25, jondabach wrote:
If you are using just one card you can always palm off that card and give them the rest of the deck, but chances are that if you're using a double backer you probably can't do an invisible, smooth palm.

You've heard of Vernon, and the Trick that Fooled Houdini, right?...
tjo'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What to do when a spectator asks to examine the cards? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL