The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Irritating? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bin
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Bin
While reading posts on this great website of ours as is my wont, I came across this one. The excerpt I would like to draw attention to is this:
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2015, Rocky wrote:
[...] being interrupted during conversation to see something that they may not be ready to see, but due to politeness for the host, "grin and bear it". [...]

Rocky suggested that strolling magic might be irritating to the spectator because of how it breaks up what they may already be doing. Which, although strolling magic is the type I want to get into, struck me as a valid point. So, since strolling magic is the type I want to get into, how do you strollers get around this issue?

(Please note: I'm not trying to call Rocky out or anything. I just want to discuss and issue he brought up in a separate thread.)
Remember Quacky.
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
Well if your there and showing some amazing magic that they've never seen and are creating a good time for everyone your not really irritating them. Unless your being rude, or preforming at them.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
If you are entertaining you will know it. If people are not interested, just say thanks and walk away. After awhile you will know after your introductory effect if they are interested or not. If someone is reading a book or messing with their phone, this is a cue to "leave me alone". If two people are holding hands and gazing into each other's eyes, walk away. Do your magic for the people that are having a good time and enjoy interacting with you. Life's too short to mess with the grumpies

Jim
Bin
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Bin
"Introductory effect"

This. What qualities should one have? I was thinking about a one coin routine (being an aspiring coin dude), but is this the right angle?
Remember Quacky.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2015, jimhlou wrote:
If you are entertaining you will know it.

Therein lies a unique paradox, because those who aren't entertaining don't know it. So, here we are with the whole lot of them strolling about believing they are.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Problem is it is irritating prior to them knowing IF you are entertaining or not.

This issue us them being interrupted DURING a conversation. It is NOT about IF a person is entertaining or not. So lets at least keep things straight if we are to talk about them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Personally, I avoid "ambush" magic.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea I am not a fan of the "stalking magic" either. But it is done and done quite often. But the part that could be irritating isn't if they are entertaining. It comes up before that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bin
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Bin
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2015, Bob Sanders wrote:
Personally, I avoid "ambush" magic.

Well, that's your choice I guess. I was just discussing what would be the appropriate behavior when not doing so. But as long as you're here, here's a related question that reeks of newbieness: what venue is available for non parlour close-up magic besides strolling? (I ask as I like the level of intimacy possible in strolling, where you'll be performing for a small group of people who have the magic happen right in front of their faces. It's unique even among other types of entertainment.)
Remember Quacky.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
The best and easiest way to avoid this issue is to be sure that the client informs their guests that there will be a strolling magician during cocktail hour, or from 7-9, or whatever it is. That way people know to expect entertainment, not unlike a server who interrupts to ask if you want hors d'oeuvres.

If people don't know that there is a strolling entertainer, you should be well dressed (better than the attendees), walk up, smile big, and ask "How are you doing this evening?" or some such greeting. Treat them with respect and act on behalf of the venue, or event. Forget your "introduction tricks" that are supposed to sneak you into a performance. People can always sense that you aren't being genuine, and they'll resent having "been had".

Once you've had a pleasant but quick chat, then give them your introduction line. Keep it short and to the point. Let them know who you are and what you do, and that you've been asked by the client/venue to show everybody a bit of magic. Then ask if they would like to see it. Always give them an option to say no.

There is a raging debate regarding whether you should ask people if they want to see magic or just start performing. While a few noted magicians like Jay Sankey argue "I never ask them if they want to see a trick; they're not qualified to answer", I believe that you should absolutely without question ask someone's permission to entertain them. If they don't want to be disturbed, they have the right to tell you. Plus, why would you want to perform for somebody who doesn't want to watch you? I know I don't.
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
Attitude! Let's have some fun. A couple of gigs ago, about 3000 people, there was a marriage proposal. My mind immediately snapped to Anniversary Waltz. But, my better judgement read the situation. This small group didn't need a card trick right now, they already had something special going on. Move on. Somebody had a suggestion for strolling gigs- could you enter the group and be engaging without magic? Add magic and have fun.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2015, Bin wrote:
what venue is available for non parlour close-up magic besides strolling? (I ask as I like the level of intimacy possible in strolling, where you'll be performing for a small group of people who have the magic happen right in front of their faces. It's unique even among other types of entertainment.)

Restaurant table hopping is one. It is different from party strolling in that you have seated guests and a table you can work with if you choose. Servers can mention you to diners so they know to expect you. Another great way to advertize your presence is with the laughter and applause of the people you are entertaining. The same rules Brian mentioned for approaching people also apply here.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
At a party the host may have any number of things planned that might interrupt a conversation. A wonderful performer will please many many people and a small minority may feel put upon. A lousy performer will annoy people. That is why hosts seek out good performers.

At a restaurant a tableside magician my be unexpected but a talented performer will be a delightful surprise. An experienced performer will be sensitive to what is going on at the table and will minimize any unpleasantness. A boorish performer will bother people and will not have his job for long.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Some good points already, but something James Prince (UK magician) mentioned a few years back when asked about approaching tables/groups of people, he said something along the lines of 'just get on with it' (in a polite and courteous way) - 'would a wine waiter feel nervous about doing their job?'.

I have probably not presented James's point well here, but what I took from it was:
-Be polite
-Be observant (If someone is having a row, proposing marriage etc give them space)
-Don't feel guilty - you're there to do a job.

I would agree with Brian (and others), I do not do ambush magic and always ask.

Good luck
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I think you need to know what the host wants you there for.

If it is to break the ice to promote conversations among a group of strangers, I don't think you want to interrupt conversations already in progress - that may well have the opposite effect to what the host intended. And in some ways it is taking the easy way out - you have a ready-made group to perform for.

Where you are there to promote conversation, I would think it would be better to approach guests NOT involved in conversations. You should include effects that build, and attract others. Involve one or two guests. Get their names. Use their names. Make them the center of attention. Give them something to talk about after you move on. And move on to other standoffish guests - don't stay with one appreciative group. You may find that your groups get larger as your time there goes on. In some ways you are building a tip like a busker, but in a lower key way.

If the host wants something else, find out what it is and deliver.

Strolling is may not about you and how you perform magic - it is more about delivering what the host wants and needs from you.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Before you can be entertaining you must ascertain.

The OP quotes a comment which suggests we don't read body language, just barge into conversations because it's out right. We need to assess the situation.
Are their eyes locked in a stare? (they could be happy, sad, angry, pensive or whatever) but are they oblivious to others?
Are they sitting along the edge of the room by themselves and tapping the table?
When you do your intro, are they looking over your shoulder at the entrance and clenching their arms or fists? (are they carrying a small gift bag in their hands too)
Do you notice one of the group "holding court" and are entertaining their friends without your help.
Did the group just shake hands and exchange kisses because they are relatives and are most interested in catching-up?

Or are we so interested in "I'm the star and you need to watch what I'm doing"?

Another venue to relate this to is a 3 hour cruise. I often find myself just getting to work the last 45 minutes of the cruise.
The passengers want to see the landscape on the way out. ("There's John Waynes house, That's where they shot Gilligand island").I can't compete..... Then they eat. Then give out awards. THEN things die down and I can get to work as the boat drifts back in..
What I do the first 3/4 of the ride is talk to people, asking them about themselves, and do a 10 second trick to conclude with .... I'll be back around later.

Strolling magic is completely different then selling tickets to a show in a theatre where people pay to see you. In that case it's the opposite mindset where you are expected to command their attention from start to finish.

Before you can entertain you must ascertain. JL
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
What other performance artist does strolling type presentations? I'll answer...clowns and mimes. Do we really want to include ourselves in that genre? Even if it is advertised that a strolling magician will be at a venue it doesn't automatically make the guests excited about being interrupted (regardless of the social interaction they may be engaged in) to see a magic trick.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Some call it ambush magic, some call it stalking, some equate us with clowns and mimes...

Much of this sounds like personal opinion and not personal experience.

Someone who is good at approaching strangers and does so with a sense of decorum is rarely unwelcome, even if they are "an intrusion". Common sense lets them know when their presence is secondary to more important things going on within the group. This is usually not a problem when working a party. The word "party" kind of defines the mood intended by the host. Even "business after hours" events are casual, as the guests unwind after the rigors of a typical business day. Business done over cocktails is designed to keep the mood light, even if serious matters are at stake. Music is not uncommon, and while magic is more so, it is usually seen as an interesting diversion, meant to surprise and delight the guests. Even if some of these guests put their business talk on hold to watch, it is hardly "grin and bear it", if the magician is entertaining, good at what he does, and the guests feel as if their time was enriched, rather than wasted.

If the magician is announced ahead of time, of course that is no guarantee that everyone will be excited about seeing it. But, I suspect that the magician, meeting the criteria above, will find more happy welcomes than tolerant politeness.

Some of you make it sound like every magician who does strolling is an unwanted goon, on a level with a smelly creep (OK, some probably are, but every demographic has its share of idiots).

Now, let's look at restaurant magicians. I made my living at it for almost 30 years. I know what I was doing and I was good at it. At least I can say that I got good at it. I'm sure I made mistakes along the way. So, how would I believe that people actually want to see magic? I was hired to work in one place as a bar magician. Within 2 weeks the business blew wide open (of course there were several factors that contributed to the success of the place). People were getting upset (mildly) because they could not get close enough to the bar to see the show. After a discussion with the owners, it was decided that I should work the floor, so that more people could see the magic... people who were already stating that they wanted to. It turned out to be the most lucrative magic gig I have ever had.

If you are someone who prefers to work by request, I salute you. It is a good option, and as long as you are comfortable and successful with it, there is no reason for me to disagree. If you are someone who prefers to work stand-up (stage/platform/parlour), same story from me. It is fun to work that way, too. I do it all the time.

But, if you have never done strolling, or if you have but found it isn't for you, or if you have seen others who do it but suck at it, then you have no viable argument other than what is YOUR opinion. You are judging the lot based on narrow evidence. If you are speaking of YOUR preferences, and indicating that YOU'D rather not be interrupted by a strolling magician, then state that it is just YOUR opinion, and please do not assume that it is the way things should be.

I REALLY dislike magic cops.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
I have often thought that conversation is often just something to do while waiting for food. Its generally not really to personal as most but not all people refrain from airing to much "dirty laundry". But a large group of people go out to have fun and generally open minds often come along with them. I think this is why most people do not get really mad for interupting. Of course this is not everybody but I have found it to be quite a few. With these type of people you are simply playing the odds. If 85% of people fit in this catagory you will have that percentage of success right maybe more if you are good at winning people over.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2015, Rocky wrote:
What other performance artist does strolling type presentations? I'll answer...clowns and mimes. Do we really want to include ourselves in that genre? Even if it is advertised that a strolling magician will be at a venue it doesn't automatically make the guests excited about being interrupted (regardless of the social interaction they may be engaged in) to see a magic trick.

If you are advertised as "We're having a magician" then you'll be lumped-in with the others you indicate above. That's why I insist people use my name. I believe that using a proper name generates more interest then just using "magician". People will contemplate "He must be someone"... even if you're not, really.
Case in point:

http://jayleslie.com/graphics/jaylesliep......cian.jpg

What impression would this marque have made if it read "Free magic show, Sept 21 5:00 pm"
At smaller shows I strongly suggest the host pronounces how wonderful the entertainment will be. I even suggest they lay-it-on thick, that way I get recognition and respect when I approach groups, there's less rejection and a better audience who's curiosity is peaked.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Irritating? (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL