The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Overhand False Shuffle (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
My favorite overhand false shuffle is in Fulves' EllisStanyon's Best Card Tricks page 283. With Fulves' improvement there is a great back and forth rhythm. I like it better than Dan Garrett's false shuffle. Does anyone else use the Stanyon/Fulves shuffle?
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
Here's a quick description. 1) Chop off a small group of cards, about 25 percent, 2) chop off another 25 percent or so and pick up the first group behind the deck, 3) now you pantomime the first two chops but take no cards, just slide your thumb across the top of the deck, 4) chop off about half the cards In front of the break onto the back of the left hand cards, but in front of those picked up ins step 2, 5) drop the cards picked up in step 2 in front of the left hand's cards, 5) drop the last right hand cards behind those in the left hand. This sequence has a very smooth back and forth rhythm. It makes it easy to perform without looking at the hands.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1945 Posts

Profile of Claudio
It's a deceptive and easy OH false shuffle. I've devised two minor variations that I use often.
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
Claudio, I'm interested in your improvements. I've never developed any. I combine this with the FT False Cut from Garcia's Super Subtle Card Miracles.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1945 Posts

Profile of Claudio
J, they are not improvements but minor tweaks so that I feel more comfortable with the handling.

Here's the first: In your description, at step 5, you drop the cards behind the break (and as you said picked up at step 2). These cards are of course the very first 1/4 you chopped off the deck. Rather than doing this, ie. dropping them, I actually do another fake take, then I drop all the cards in front of the break to the back of left hand cards and finally I drop all the remaining cards (the first 1/4) on top of left hand cards.

It's just an extra step, but the fact the last cards are dropped at the front, and not at the back, reenforces the illusion - IMHO. I thought it was a pity that, in the original, that last quarter was actually dropped under the cover of a fake take.

So, not earth-shattering, but works well for me.
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2015, J Christensen wrote:
Here's a quick description. 1) Chop off a small group of cards, about 25 percent, 2) chop off another 25 percent or so and pick up the first group behind the deck, 3) now you pantomime the first two chops but take no cards, just slide your thumb across the top of the deck, 4) chop off about half the cards In front of the break onto the back of the left hand cards, but in front of those picked up ins step 2, 5) drop the cards picked up in step 2 in front of the left hand's cards, 5) drop the last right hand cards behind those in the left hand. This sequence has a very smooth back and forth rhythm. It makes it easy to perform without looking at the hands.

Perhaps I misunderstood your explanation, but it is quite similar to Erdnase's first method for shuffling maintaining all the deck in order (the final situation is the same as after a "cut and complete")
So much to do, so little time . . .
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
The shuffle is very similar also with a nice back and forth motion. However, the Erdnase shuffle ends with the deck having been cut. Alicauchy, a transcendental number?
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2015, J Christensen wrote:
The shuffle is very similar also with a nice back and forth motion. However, the Erdnase shuffle ends with the deck having been cut.

Vernon explains an easy way in which you can finish with the deck in the original orderings.

Quote:
On Jun 9, 2015, J Christensen wrote:
The shuffle is very similar also with a nice back and forth motion. However, the Erdnase shuffle ends with the deck having been cut. Alicauchy, a transcendental number?

Well, there are two transcendentals in the equations.
So much to do, so little time . . .
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
The Erdnase shuffle could be used with a tactile locator, for example, a breather crimp, at the bottom of the set-up deck, so that you could finish with a straight cut (at the breather crimp).
diogoviana7
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of diogoviana7
If you want a deceptive, easy, full deck overhand shuffle please check this: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5896
Thanks
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2015, diogoviana7 wrote:
If you want a deceptive, easy, full deck overhand shuffle please check this: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5896
Thanks

I purchased it because it was cheap and I believe in supporting magician's work. I learned something I can use and as such think I will get my money's worth. But I have to say that I expected a somewhat more polished production for something for sale on Penguin. The photography was clear enough, but it still looks like it was done with someone's phone--and in portrait mode no less. The narration was in places mumbled and hard to follow. And, finally, the absence of any credits was conspicuous for me. What are the inspirations for this move? How is it similar to or different from other moves that have come before? That sort of thing makes for a professional presentation, and gives confidence that we have purchased an innovation, and not some old work passed off as new.

Forgive if I seem to be expecting too much from a six-buck three-minute video, but I am reminded of a few weeks back that a marketed move, Fauxverhand by James Dickson, was presented as original work whereas it turns out that it is identical to the Mead-Kennedy shuffle described by Mike Close (with permission I am sure) in Closely Guarded Secrets. Ellusionist has since pulled the download.

Les
diogoviana7
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of diogoviana7
Hi lcwright1964, first of all thanks for purchasing the effect. It´s my first product and I know that the production is not what you expect if you compare to a top seller produced by theory11 or ellusionist. In the future I will certainly be improving and make a much better production. Regarding the credits I didn't credit anyone because my inpiration was the overhand shuffle. I created the method from scratch thinking: "How can I apparently shuffle the deck but not changing the order?" After I created the method I searched a lot of false overhand shuffles already created and I didn't find anyone with my method.
Thanks!
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2015, diogoviana7 wrote:
Hi lcwright1964, first of all thanks for purchasing the effect. It´s my first product and I know that the production is not what you expect if you compare to a top seller produced by theory11 or ellusionist. In the future I will certainly be improving and make a much better production. Regarding the credits I didn't credit anyone because my inpiration was the overhand shuffle. I created the method from scratch thinking: "How can I apparently shuffle the deck but not changing the order?" After I created the method I searched a lot of false overhand shuffles already created and I didn't find anyone with my method.
Thanks!

Well you are on the right track. I like overhead false shuffles where cards are actually moved about, singly or in bunches, and the order restored. Pantomiming chops never sounds or feels right to me. The Mead-Kennedy shuffle has actual card movement, but packets are not interchanged then restored as they are with yours. I am sure SOPAS will inspire many tweaks and variations. I would respectfully suggest your shuffle is inspired by the Hunter shuffle, where one reverses the order of a few cards between two larger packets then restores their order.

Thanks for sharing your contribution.

Les
diogoviana7
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of diogoviana7
Yes, I also like when the cards are moved. Maybe you are right but I didn't credit that shuffle because I didn't even know that shuffle existed before I created the method.
Thanks for your constructive criticism.
TRI6KED
View Profile
Elite user
UK
421 Posts

Profile of TRI6KED
My favourite overhand shuffle that looks the most natural and very easy to do is "Full Deck Retention False overhand shuffle by Dan Fishman"

The only place I know that you can buy this shuffle is:

Ninja Tossed Out Deck by Patrick Redford - DVD
OR
in Patrick Redfords Book Square available from :
http://www.patrickredford.com/square.html

But if you Google it, I'm sure you can get a demonstration of what it looks like.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Dan+Fi......+Fishman
Zedd
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
270 Posts

Profile of Zedd
I don't know if it's the same shuffle as the one mentioned by TazBo but the shuffle by Patrick Redford in his new book 'applesauce' is also great!!
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Does anyone just mix and match parts of other shuffles? I find of late I am doing a mix of false butt shuffles alternating with a modification of the Mead-Kennedy shuffle--basically, I chop off a top chunk legitimately then do the Mead-Kennedy artifice with the remaining packet on top of that. The result is that of simply cutting the deck, as it is with the false butt shuffle. I find it looks more authentic if anyone is looking all that closely, and more importantly to me it feels better so I can execute it without feeling self conscious. The Mead-Kennedy shuffle done straight just doesn't feel or sound "real" in my hands and I sense the artifice will be spotted unless at least one packet is seen to clearly change position. Moreover, perhaps unlike some people, I have no problem with any false shuffle that simply cuts the deck, since there is no lack of gimmicks and moves that can aid one in easily getting a cut deck back to canonical order from a completed cut.

Personally, I find that shuffles which mix up packets and/or single cards and then undoes the mixing (such as the Erdnase or Stanyon or SOPAS shuffles noted above, not to mention the venerable Hunter shuffle) offer some great ideas but I am prone to get easily confused since they seem to be a little more complex and less effortless.

Les
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2015, lcwright1964 wrote:
Does anyone just mix and match parts of other shuffles? I find of late I am doing a mix of false butt shuffles alternating with a modification of the Mead-Kennedy shuffle--basically, I chop off a top chunk legitimately then do the Mead-Kennedy artifice with the remaining packet on top of that. The result is that of simply cutting the deck, as it is with the false butt shuffle. I find it looks more authentic if anyone is looking all that closely, and more importantly to me it feels better so I can execute it without feeling self conscious. The Mead-Kennedy shuffle done straight just doesn't feel or sound "real" in my hands and I sense the artifice will be spotted unless at least one packet is seen to clearly change position. Moreover, perhaps unlike some people, I have no problem with any false shuffle that simply cuts the deck, since there is no lack of gimmicks and moves that can aid one in easily getting a cut deck back to canonical order from a completed cut.

Personally, I find that shuffles which mix up packets and/or single cards and then undoes the mixing (such as the Erdnase or Stanyon or SOPAS shuffles noted above, not to mention the venerable Hunter shuffle) offer some great ideas but I am prone to get easily confused since they seem to be a little more complex and less effortless.

Les

PM me.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
A deceptive complete (full) OH False Suffle is hell on wheels. If you want a deceptive, in-the-hands, complete false shuffle, I strongly recommend biting the bullet and working on in-the-hands riffle shuffles. There are many of them out there. The "Grey Shuffle" by Benjamin Earl is solid. And there are others similar to it. The "Truffle Shuffle"being one pretty good improvement or replacement. These will not be trivial to learn. But your effort will be repaid ten-fold.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2015, RiderBacks wrote:
A deceptive complete (full) OH False Suffle is hell on wheels.

What is that supposed to mean? Please explain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Overhand False Shuffle (28 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL