The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Overhand False Shuffle (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
rapmr
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of rapmr
Uli,

Thanks. I have the Erdnase, but I heard so much about the Annotated Erdnase that I should add this book to my list.
Ferry Gerats
View Profile
Regular user
the Netherlands
182 Posts

Profile of Ferry Gerats
Thanks everyone for their input as I am still looking for a false overhand shuffle that looks good and feels comfortable.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
So magicfish continues to repeat the mantra that the Bob King OH Shuffle is the world's best. Some comments on this claim, despite not being an expert on the Bob King OH False Shuffle. The Bob King OH False Shuffle cannot look, as far as I can tell, like a standard OH false shuffle. In a standard OH shuffle, the cards are repeatedly stripped off, by one's thumb, onto the same side of the deck. This is not remotely what occurs in the Bob King OH False Shuffle, where cards are alternatively (and quite visibly) deposited onto both the face and back of the deck.

Now some comments on this. Some may (as magicfish presumably does) think this makes the Bob King OH False Shuffle look "messier". To the extent that it does, some may (as magicfish presumably does), consider this a virtue. Perhaps there is something to be said for that, but on the other hand, the Bob King OH False Shuffle just won't look like the kind of normal OH shuffle everybody uses. And that is, in my view, a significant mark against it. I count that mark against it to be so significant that I wouldn't rely on it as a primary OH False Shuffle.

The Fishman False Shuffle, on the other hand, does preserve the general look of a typical overhand shuffle. All cards are stripped off onto the same side of the deck. There is none of the "wibble wobble" nonsense required for depositing cards on both sides of the deck. When choosing between incorporating runs or wibble-wobble, I favor runs (provided they are not too long). And the required runs in the Fishman OH False Shuffle are short.

As always, your mileage may vary. But something had to be said about this endless, cult-like worship of the Bob King OH False Shuffle.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6542 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2016, RiderBacks wrote:
So magicfish continues to repeat the mantra that the Bob King OH Shuffle is the world's best. Some comments on this claim, despite not being an expert on the Bob King OH False Shuffle. The Bob King OH False Shuffle cannot look, as far as I can tell, like a standard OH false shuffle. In a standard OH shuffle, the cards are repeatedly stripped off, by one's thumb, onto the same side of the deck. This is not remotely what occurs in the Bob King OH False Shuffle, where cards are alternatively (and quite visibly) deposited onto both the face and back of the deck.

Now some comments on this. Some may (as magicfish presumably does) think this makes the Bob King OH False Shuffle look "messier". To the extent that it does, some may (as magicfish presumably does), consider this a virtue. Perhaps there is something to be said for that, but on the other hand, the Bob King OH False Shuffle just won't look like the kind of normal OH shuffle everybody uses. And that is, in my view, a significant mark against it. I count that mark against it to be so significant that I wouldn't rely on it as a primary OH False Shuffle.

The Fishman False Shuffle, on the other hand, does preserve the general look of a typical overhand shuffle. All cards are stripped off onto the same side of the deck. There is none of the "wibble wobble" nonsense required for depositing cards on both sides of the deck. When choosing between incorporating runs or wibble-wobble, I favor runs (provided they are not too long). And the required runs in the Fishman OH False Shuffle are short.

As always, your mileage may vary. But something had to be said about this endless, cult-like worship of the Bob King OH False Shuffle.

No. I don't think it looks messier, nor do I think messiness is a virtue.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1225 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, magicfish wrote: ..., nor do I think messiness is a virtue.

In the hands of Lennart Green it is ! Smile
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4914 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I do a overhand false shuffle from the Genii Magazine - December 2004, page 22. Flim-FlaMagic by Bob Farmer.

http://geniimagazine.com/

Look it up - it is good and pretty easy to do.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, Waterloophai wrote:

Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, magicfish wrote: ..., nor do I think messiness is a virtue.

In the hands of Lennart Green it is ! Smile

Yes, Lennart Green is a master of messiness. Messiness is clearly sometimes a virtue. And when it comes to performing a false shuffle, I think messiness is definitely a candidate for being a virtue-maker. If it looks like you're just randomly tossing the cards all over the place, even though you aren't, that's great! I subscribe to the school which holds that when performing an effect, you should not be demonstrating great skill with cards. So I think there definitely is something to be said for the Bob King OH False Shuffle. Against this, I weigh other considerations. Does this look like how people ordinarily handle cards? If the answer to that question gets returned in the negative, we have an vice-maker. How do you balance these? That's up to you. And I'm not saying that the Bob King OH False Shuffle is a bad one. It's not. I'm just annoyed by the over-zealous support it receives from some people. It was also about time that someone said something somewhat informative about it other than "it's the best and now go look it up".
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1225 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2016, RiderBacks wrote:
I'm just annoyed by the over-zealous support it receives from some people. It was also about time that someone said something somewhat informative about it other than "it's the best and now go look it up".

You are right.
"The best" is a very subjective notion.
There are so many factors to consider: personal taste, ability, when, where, circumstances, etc.
Better would be if someone said: "That or this is the best FOR ME at that particular time" (and that goes not alone for false shuffles...)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Overhand False Shuffle (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL