The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » McDonalds to start paying $15 - $20 minimum wage any day now (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..27~28~29~30~31~32 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2016, LobowolfXXX wrote:
How much did the minimum wage increase in Canada?

I was just talking about what is happening at the provincial level in Alberta.

On Oct 1 2016 the provincial minimum wage in Alberta rose "by $1 to $12.20 an hour, then will rise to $13.60 a year later, until reaching $15 on Oct. 1, 2018."

This is presently the highest rate among the provinces. Across Canada, only the Northwest Territories at $12.50 and Nunavut at $13 have higher minimum wages.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2016, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Hmmmm...so it surprises you that someone would opine that the wage ratio between an educated, skilled professional and a fry cook should be at least 2-1?

Wow.


No, what surprised me was the directness of what he said.

I'm used to cartoons from Nairb.

For the record, the janitor and the CEO do not have equal value to a company; and their pay should reflect that.

Also for the record, I miss the cartoons.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4583 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
An across the board increase to $15 would (IMO) cause skilled job salaries to jump drastically. I would like to think that I'm at least twice as skilled as the fry guy.
Yes, don't you think you're worth $30/hr?
"I use my five illusions to create the sense I'm useful to six."



You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4583 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
For the record, the janitor and the CEO do not have equal value to a company; and their pay should reflect that.


Agreed. The janitor has to clean up the mess that the CEO made.
"I use my five illusions to create the sense I'm useful to six."



You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2016, NYCTwister wrote:No, what surprised me was the directness of what he said.

I'm used to cartoons from Nairb.


"The clown’s makeup has worn, and his bright, red smile has been washed down a sink. All that is left is another performance, another tent and set of lights."
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2016, landmark wrote:
Quote:
An across the board increase to $15 would (IMO) cause skilled job salaries to jump drastically. I would like to think that I'm at least twice as skilled as the fry guy.
Yes, don't you think you're worth $30/hr?


I do, but my company disagrees.

I loved being in college. I was a professional student for 5 years; 3 Universities, and 2 Community Colleges. No degree, not even an Associate's, but I was having a great time.

I had worked 15 minimum wage jobs, and 3 above minimum before joining the Air Force in 1990.

Those jobs were stepping stones and never a long term goal. Now, because of some people's life choices they are 'entitled' to a fast pass because they refuse to take responsibility for their life decisions? I think not.

I vote no for placation.

"Alpha children wear grey. They work much harder than we do, because they're so frightfully clever. I'm awfully glad I'm a Beta, because I don't work so hard. And then we are much better than the Gammas and Deltas. Gammas are stupid. They all wear green, and Delta children wear khaki. Oh no, I don't want to play with Delta children. And Epsilons are still worse. They're too stupid to be able to read or write. Besides they wear black, which is such a beastly color. I'm so glad I'm a Beta."
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2016, balducci wrote:
This is not necessarily related to what you said but what you said reminded me of it ... I cannot cut and paste the picture, but some might find this of interest. First picture at the link, titled "The Fading American Dream - Percentage of children earning more than their parents, by year of birth":

http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/



I make more than both of my parents did. In 2003 when the economy tanked my renovation business (rental and real estate) tanked as well. I had to layoff my crew and do what projects I could find myself; which were far and few between as no one was buying houses or changing apartments. My business partner was keeping me above water but when his help got up to $20K I sold my business, vehicle, trailer, tools, 2 houses, and took a job overseas.

I was able to pay him off and came to Kuwait with a backpack and a suitcase; but dept free. OK, the suitcase was full of magic and the backpack had my clothes, but that is another story for another time.

My point is that people choose to limit their options be it denial, or an unwillingness to change. There are opportunities if you choose to broaden your horizons.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2016, landmark wrote:
Quote:
For the record, the janitor and the CEO do not have equal value to a company; and their pay should reflect that.


Agreed. The janitor has to clean up the mess that the CEO made.



Interesting position. Absolutely inaccurate, but interesting none the less.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Here is a few things nobody seems to want to address.

First of you just mandate an increase the cost of living will spike. This will make r increase useless.

Skilled workers ALWAYS should make more than unskilled so their salary has to go up, so the spike happens and there ya go.

Minimum wage jobs do not exist to support families. If you can't support your family with your skill set get more skills BEFORE you have a family. It is called personal responsibility. I think we should try it just to see how it works out.

Once you mandate a living wage for the country it might be way too low in New York, and at the same time way too low in Omaha. It can not be done and should not. Ya know 10th ammendment and all.

Employers exist to make money. Not to provide a living wage, not to provide health care, not to do anything but make money.

Also work product has a value of $X. When toy mandate a minimum wage totally independent of that value base only upon the workers needs it is going to crush most small companies. Putting a third party in the middle is not smart. Why $15 am hour? Why not $20. Why not $30? If all it takes is a simple raise why not $100?

It is a great way to argue for even government power. Why not just let them run all business?

Plus one you raise unskilled labor by Messmer too high the corrosive effect is that business leaves. Go figure.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4583 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2016, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2016, landmark wrote:
Quote:
An across the board increase to $15 would (IMO) cause skilled job salaries to jump drastically. I would like to think that I'm at least twice as skilled as the fry guy.
Yes, don't you think you're worth $30/hr?


I do, but my company disagrees.

I loved being in college. I was a professional student for 5 years; 3 Universities, and 2 Community Colleges. No degree, not even an Associate's, but I was having a great time.

I had worked 15 minimum wage jobs, and 3 above minimum before joining the Air Force in 1990.

Those jobs were stepping stones and never a long term goal. Now, because of some people's life choices they are 'entitled' to a fast pass because they refuse to take responsibility for their life decisions? I think not.

I vote no for placation.


I think it's really disturbing that you have internalized your company's exploitation of you as a measure of your own worth.

You just wrote that you were twice as skilled. That's not a fast pass. You gained those skills through your talent and your life choices. You deserve more.

You question your own worth, yet do not question your CEO who may make 300 times what you do. Does your CEO work 300 times harder than you? Is he 300 times smarter than you? Is he 300 times more skilled than you?
"I use my five illusions to create the sense I'm useful to six."



You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4583 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Employers exist to make money. Not to provide a living wage, not to provide health care, not to do anything but make money.


Yes, that's why it's a crap system.

If television could only run re-runs of Galactica 1980, you'd seek to change it.
"I use my five illusions to create the sense I'm useful to six."



You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The system you pine away for is a fantasy world for a reason. It has never worked on a scale like 350 million people, and certainly not with our Constitution.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4583 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
First of you just mandate an increase the cost of living will spike. This will make r increase useless.


No, because prices won't have to rise as fast as wages. The reason is that with more money in circulation, workers can buy more of the very goods that are being manufactured.
"I use my five illusions to create the sense I'm useful to six."



You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4583 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
The system you pine away for is a fantasy world for a reason. It has never worked on a scale like 350 million people, and certainly not with our Constitution.


You seem to think that a worldwide system that leaves millions in poverty and without healthcare around the globe is a system that "works." It doesn't.
"I use my five illusions to create the sense I'm useful to six."



You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2016, landmark wrote:I think it's really disturbing that you have internalized your company's exploitation of you as a measure of your own worth.

You just wrote that you were twice as skilled. That's not a fast pass. You gained those skills through your talent and your life choices. You deserve more.

You question your own worth, yet do not question your CEO who may make 300 times what you do. Does your CEO work 300 times harder than you? Is he 300 times smarter than you? Is he 300 times more skilled than you?


Quote:
On Dec 10, 2016, Salguod Nairb wrote:
I would like to think that I'm at least twice as skilled as the fry guy.


I said at least which implies/infers more than what is being written. Smile I didn't want to appear conceded.

I get other perks, but that is neither here nor there. I'm cool with the CEO making more than me. I don't want to be a CEO or live the life that is the prerequisite, and though I did take a $30K pay cut this year I still like what I do.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2016, landmark wrote:
Quote:
First of you just mandate an increase the cost of living will spike. This will make r increase useless.


No, because prices won't have to rise as fast as wages. The reason is that with more money in circulation, workers can buy more of the very goods that are being manufactured.



The difference in housing cost for identical houses disproves that statement. Otherwise it would be the same nationwide...
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15470 Posts

Profile of tommy
There are already too many people using too much stuff anyhow.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2016, landmark wrote:
Quote:
First of you just mandate an increase the cost of living will spike. This will make r increase useless.


No, because prices won't have to rise as fast as wages. The reason is that with more money in circulation, workers can buy more of the very goods that are being manufactured.


This only amkes sense if we don't pay attention to anything that has ever happened before.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4583 Posts

Profile of landmark
Henry Ford--$5 a day. Huge boost to the economy.
"I use my five illusions to create the sense I'm useful to six."



You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why do you pretend minimum wage happens in a vacuum?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » McDonalds to start paying $15 - $20 minimum wage any day now (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..27~28~29~30~31~32 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL