The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Light and Heavy Glass (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2135 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
David! Am I understanding your premise?

Houdin never said he would make the chest HEAVY. He said that he would make the man who was going to lift the chest, "weak as a woman".

FWIW I am re-posting my post of June 19.

I wonder if anyone read it!!!

Magic is 5% sleight of hand skills, 5% esoteric science principles, 5% perceptual illusions, AND EIGHTY-FIVE PERCENT P S Y C H O L O G Y.

Jean Eugene Robert HOUDIN knew THAT! Houdin "deescalated" a potential WAR. --NOT with a box that "got heavy". He did it with PSYCHOLOGY!

Hi, Dick ,

It was certainly not my intention to appear as if I was ignoring your excellent points on the history of how the Light/Heavy Chest was presented by Jean Eugène Robert-Houdin . I thought your point was well-stated and didn't require any further comment from me. Actually, I wasn't asking for any advice on presentation of a "Light/Heavy" type of effect (such as with Grant's "Light/Heavy Glass" , or the latter day version marketed as "Hypno Glass" ) , I was simply chiming in with a few thoughts on how the prop might be easily prepared using a common Solo plastic drinking cup , or in my second post the idea of gimmicking a beer bottle to do the necessary work. Reviewing the thread I see that you did address me directly in one of your posts where you wrote "David! Am I understanding your premise ?" , but I had never stated any premise about how to present the effect . My comments were just about how the prop might be constructed in lieu of the unavailability of a pre-made version from the dealers . But thanks again for your points about how Houdin presented his effect .

Best,

D. Todd

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8360 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi David! Thanks for your comments!

Not a serious problem! I'm always concerned that the young fellows understand these historic tricks. --Not only methods, but also effects!

(Note: It is not true that I was in the room when Houdin first did it. These rumors are merely figments of Jim Sparx' imagination!!!

I think the comment about "lite beer" was what caught my attention!

Personal viewpoint: The original effect would best fit, in a "mental" type program.

However, presented as a "light 'n' heavy" effect, it could be a great comedy item.

Yr's, 'til the curtain closes!

Dick
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3737 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi guys

This may be a little dated, but 'way back when we performed U.F. Grant's original ($1.50) version of this trick, we introduced a sizable multifaceted green plastic rock obtained from a craft store and called it Green Kryptonite.

This reference to the then-popular Superman comics and television show justified the helper's losing strength and then regaining same when the Kryptonite was removed from the glass.

Perhaps with the Superman movies and the new SUPERGIRL T.V. series beginning soon this might be a practical presentation for today's audiences...

Julie
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
745 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
I like the earlier comment about using "LITE Beer"!

As per the original Grant instructions...the empty glass can be first used to scoop up CONFETTI, filling the glass....and still, the trick will work! (with the confetti still in the glass).

Even better too----first show the empty glass and openly fill it with WATER (liquid). Pour the liquid out, and proceed with the routine!

Those who know the method, will appreciate the above two clever bits.

Thanks, UF Grant!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8360 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I fill the glass about half full,and drink the water.

Filling the glass and then pouring out the water, IMO, looks like you are "proving something". Al Baker's, "Don't run if you aren't being chased" comes to mind.

Drinking the water, "proves" the glass is "OK", and, it's not a "contrived" proof.

Gen Grant understood how to simplify method to achieve effect!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9497 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I do the same with the water then use a silk to wipe it out.
That introduces the silk so you can use it as the red herring.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
667 Posts

Profile of karnak
I contacted The Cuckoo's Nest magic shop to see if they still had the Hypno Glass in stock. Unfortunately, they don't. They simply had failed to remove it from their website. Said they can't get it from any of their suppliers.

The Denny & Lee Magic Studio link didn't work, and a search for Hypno Glass on their website failed to turn one up.

(Penguin Magic shows it as out of stock, too.)

Anybody have a used one for sale?

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 04:44 pm
Got one (via a helpful PM -- thanks!).
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of wally
Still looking.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8360 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
WALLY! PM me.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Am I missing something or does this trick seem obvious? When I was a kid reading the description in a magic catalogue, I felt that all you had to do was slip your index finger under the handkerchief and grip it with the thumb and hold the glass. Maybe it’s more than that, but that’s what made me sour on buying this.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2015, mtpascoe wrote:
Am I missing something or does this trick seem obvious? When I was a kid reading the description in a magic catalogue, I felt that all you had to do was slip your index finger under the handkerchief and grip it with the thumb and hold the glass. Maybe it’s more than that, but that’s what made me sour on buying this.

Really, you think you can hold onto a glass with only your index finger and thumb to prevent an adult male from lifting the glass. I guess that solution satisfied your "how'd he do that" question.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Not how to do it, but whether it was worth buying. You see something and have to ask yourself if it is worth spending your money on. That's why I always bought at a brick and mortar because I could talk to the salesman who usual was a friend and find out if it was a good purchase.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It is never worth buying if you do not have an idea how it will be presented or fit in an show/act.
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
524 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
I have one from Supreme that was Light and Heavy Glass Plus (I believe) that came with their little wood tray and two matching glasses (one ungimmicked) and two silks, and then the kicker was the cloth that was gimmicked so you could do the vanishing bowl move with the tray and glass and then make it appear in a top hat.
There was even a way to have the top hat closed, pop it open, and then produce the glass and silk from it. It was clever. I never performed it but have had it for at least 20 years. Go figure.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
I have been using this method for years to present a version of Barry Mitchell's Magic Box. I thought the trick itself was not real strong, but if you fill the stage with four kids, loads of fake jewels and laughs the glass is playing a minor role. The glass is a vehicle to carry out a fun and educational routine.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of wally
I too am looking for the light heavy glass or hypno glass, I could make one but I thought I would look for one first.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9497 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I see you are in the UK.
I have a few on my shelve. I was going to send you a PM however the glass is only 6.50 dollars but the shipping would be 35
Look locally.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of wally
No one sells them anymore in the uk. I will look for a plastic one in the shops.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5396 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
These are rediclously easy to build especially with plastic glasses. Mine is homemade and uses a fluted plastic tumblr. I think the fluted design helps mask what needs be hidden.

A non-gimmicked glass can be used too. Already mentioned is the wine glass which works very well. Also mentioned is the thumb-index finger method with a straight sided tumblr.

And yes a strong man can be defeated by the thumb-index finger method if your presentation is correct and your spectator management is good.

This is a light-heavy routine and (in my opinion) should not be presented as a test of strength. In fact the wonder grows when you take away their ability to lift rather than make the object heavier. I posted a Light-Heavy Chest routine elsewhere on the Café' a couple of years ago that didn't use the box getting heavy. I believe it is a model of what a solid, emotional, dramatic, and magical routine could be.

I have worked the same basic routine using the light heavy glass. I have also routines the L-H Glass into a "Hypnosis" routine. That routine included a spectator not being able to lift a smile No.2 pencil off the palm of my hand,. Amongst other simple stunts.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Light and Heavy Glass (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL