The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » How much do you practice? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

xevenofhearts
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of xevenofhearts
I'm putting this in the gambling section, because I am more interested in how much you practice your false deals, false cuts, shuffles, shifts, anything considered gambling.

Personally, I'd estimate I spend about 2-3 hours a day with a deck of cards in my hands, practicing such moves, and sometimes even more if I've learned a technique that I still don't have down, I just sit down and repeat it over and over until I kinda get the feel for it.

How much do y'all practice a day? And what do you practice?
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Things don't work that way.

First, you need to practice well, the correct way. What would be the point to do something bad over and over? Yet, it's what many people do, struggling because they don't have the right technique. As they say, perfect practice makes perfect (standard saying being: practice makes perfect).

Second, once you master a technique, you don't need to practice as much as you did while learning it.

Third, not two people have the same talent, skills, etc. Some people would get a perfect second deal in six months, some will never be able to do it.

Last, some moves require to practice them each and every day, some not. For instance, stacking. Personally, if I don't practice for 3 or 4 weeks, I start to miss some sequences. Yet, it's years I do it! Is it worth to master 50 techniques by the way? Is it possible? Sometimes, it's better to know maybe 3 or 4 only, but to master them.

So! It's not a question of hours, it's a matter of "what move" and quality mainly.
M.Parangot
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of M.Parangot
@ AMcD: you are completely right.
@xevenofhearts: As from a musician point of view: practicing is necessary and for many the main occupation but there is no way to compare the learning processes. everybody learns things from different approaches and differently fast. as Arnold stated, it depends on your talent and especially on what you learned before. I'm afraid there is no way to compare practice sessions in any field of art and you can't really correlate it to your skill. Some are simply gifted, some can practice hours a day and still won't even reach mediocre results. (And some think, they are good, just because they practise a lot).
But to answer your question, I have cards in my hands for about half an hour per day usually, which I think is already pretty as a mean time. Smile
xevenofhearts
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of xevenofhearts
@AMcD - I like this reply, a lot. When I'm practicing a move that I can't do, I will practice and drop the cards plenty, such as a few days ago, I could not do a knuckle cut, so I sat down and tried it and failed some more, until finally I realized what I needed to change. So, at the time, I was practicing it wrong, but I recognized that and fixed it. Regarding the importance of what moves you practice and quality instead of the amount of time you practice- I think the moves you practice and the quality of how you practice them is important, but especially when you are learning new things, time matters a lot. Some maneuvers will not come easily, so the time will get you to the point that you can simply maintain the skill. Even better, some moves may never be mastered, just improved upon, that's what all the time practicing is going to do.

@M.Parangot - It applies to most anything that requires practice and skill and learning. Some have talent, some don't! I like the comparison. A half hour is better than I used to do- right now I'm out of school, so I've got time on my hands, but during school I could go days without pulling out a pack of cards, which wasn't good. :/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » How much do you practice? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL