The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » The BRAND NEW Hot Rod Design (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Hey, guys -

I don't come to this part of the forum much, but as one of the areas it covers is paddle tricks, I thought I'd share my new Hot Rod design. The Hot Rod was the first trick I ever learned, but I wouldn't be caught dead carrying around a plastic rod with colored gems anymore at school, work, etc.

The new design looks completely normal. You might be surprised. Smile

http://murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=55794

I've been carrying it around for a while and it can kill!!!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just me, but I don't like to give free advertisement to any business, much less a multimillion dollar company like Google. If they want free advertisement. They can definitely afford to just give the pens away for free. Just my opinion for me personally.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Bill, The idea is that this is an ordinary object. Are you never going to do a trick with a Coke can? Are you going to make a special phoney newspaper if you ever do a newspaper tear rather than give free advertising to your local newspaper?

This hot rod looks great and and not at all like something manufactured for a magic trick.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No, I would use Magic Makers Hot Rod Pen been out for about 10 years. Only costs $3 to $5 depending where you pick it up.

Comes in Red or Blue, so cheap, just buy both.

Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow, Bill! Got it. It IS good. I do like the Google pen though. Look closely. It says, "Coogle". A non-issue! Smile

Doug
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
When I worked at Chicago's Midwest Magic, I sold a lot of those Magic Maker's Hot Rod pens. But it still doesn't look like an ordinary object. Placing six colored dots on a pen without context is illogical.

This is not a free advertisement... just like using Bicycle cards isn't a free advertisement for the USPCC.

Yes, the price is higher than the Magic Maker's pen. But you get TWO pens in this package so you can end with a fully changed pen.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I think it looks every bit as strong as a "No 2 Pencil". If anyone would call me out on the Coogle rather than Google, I would just say they were misprints that my dollar store had a box of (although I think even if someone noticed they would just think part of the G wore off). I used a regular hot rod for years, even had the fancy brass color changing one. They are both very effective, well priced and do a great job, the pen just seems a bit more natural (as far as an item one would carry around with them).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Thanks, Poof-Daddy!

The pen does say 'Coogle.' Here are three ways to mask this:

1) Use colored gel pens to fill in the rest of the 'G.'

2) Scratch off some of the ink from all of the letters so the pen looks more distressed and faded. It will look like the 'G' just got worn away!

3) Simply cover the 'C' with your finger when performing.

Others have incorporated the 'Coogle' name into the presentation, saying it is mocking the famous search engine.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Why does it say coogle? Is it a copyright issue?
Reality is a real killjoy.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Yes, the pen says 'Coogle' to avoid legal issues. More comments about that issue are in this thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218

There are also some reviews and other helpful comments.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
What I like about this is, you get a regular pen to sw*tch out. Really "today" kinda stuff! Smile

Doug
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Thanks, Doug. I teach a simple switch in the written instructions, but there are many sleight-heavy switches, as well. I don't always use the second pen, but it's certainly nice to have.
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
Hey guys!

Kyle Marlett here from Vanishing Inc. If you guys have ever seen any of my work you might notice that everything I do is organic and for the most part is logical, so when I saw Jeff's Search Engine Pen I really got excited! For me this is one of the most innocent looking Hot Rods out there. It totally makes sense on every level! Really great job Jeff!

-Kyle
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Thanks, Kyle! I am happy that Vanishing Inc. stocks this, as I know they curate only the best products.

This is the pen I use at work! Looks pretty normal, right?

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Google is such a recognized brand. It's to bad you had to alter the logo such much in order to make it work with your idea.
Everything from the addition of a color that doesn't exist to the spacing of the letters to the lack of a G throw suspicion on it
and makes it seem as much like a prop as a regular Hot Rod. Just my opinion.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Motown - Your points are valid and were concerns when designing this product. However, after testing the prototypes and performing with the final prop, I have never had an issue.

The Search Engine Pen is currently SOLD OUT. Shops might have a few copies left if they store physical inventory. Murphy's will be getting another batch in about a week. If you're interested in a copy, I have them for sale on my website: http://www.jeffprace.com/search_engine_pen.html
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Wow, cool idea. I bet these could be made up using one's own name if it fits the method and then given away as souvenirs. I'm already regretting posting this suggestion!
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
The Search Engine Pen is BACK IN STOCK! Also... TWO new reviews have been posted.

Quote:
I performed this trick last night 20 or 30 times and it absolutely killed. A quick effect with a lot of impact. It had a real wow affect. Best of all, it fits in your pocket.

Jon Jensen's Real World Product Review - READ THE FULL REVIEW

Quote:
Run, don’t walk to your nearest magic retailer and add this to your repertoire. Jeff has created a winner and I hope to see lots more of this quality from him.

The Magic Portal - READ THE FULL REVIEW

I also have Tom Dobrowolski's routine on video, and I hope to edit and upload it soon.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Wow! I am thrilled at the response of the Search Engine Pen. There have been TWO new video reviews posted:

Wizard Product Review
7/29/15
Review time stamps: 0:14-4:59

MW Review
7/28/15
Review time stamps: 1:12-7:17
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I LOVE this! OK. Price is right. I'm sold.

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » The BRAND NEW Hot Rod Design (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL